Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an Elf 2125 on its way and I am getting my parts ready. Does the HK head unit in the 2010 have two RCA audio outs, or do I need a Y connector to hook it up to the amp?
Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Factory head unit does not have rca outputs unless you get it done you will need a line output convertor and some short rca's
Another question...am I better off getting RCA's wired in, or is the line output converter good enough of a signal? I guess I should ask too...am I better off ditching the HK and installing something else while I have everything torn apart?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the new amp has line level input's (speaker wire from radio) the factory radio will work great... The other alternative is the line level convertor which will also wire into the speaker wire and give an input for the amp.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has line level inputs but I also have a line level converter. I will fiddle with both. I would like to consider a replacement head unit however, so I can get better inputs capabilities - Ipod, IPhone, FM Radio etc - which would also have RCA outs. Anyone have a recommendation of a marine grade unit that is black?
Do I need marine grade?

If the new amp has line level input's (speaker wire from radio) the factory radio will work great... The other alternative is the line level convertor which will also wire into the speaker wire and give an input for the amp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It has line level inputs but I also have a line level converter. I will fiddle with both. I would like to consider a replacement head unit however, so I can get better inputs capabilities - Ipod, IPhone, FM Radio etc - which would also have RCA outs. Anyone have a recommendation of a marine grade unit that is black?
Do I need marine grade?
Sony Has released a black, mechless, Marine unit his year. Ipod, am/fm, with the ability to add sat and AUX, but no CD.

Ipod actually slides into the unit on a tray. its the sony dsx ms60.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll check it out. I do llike having a cd option as I burn data cd's with 4 hours of tunes, but I should move on from that. The tray idea is great.

Sony Has released a black, mechless, Marine unit his year. Ipod, am/fm, with the ability to add sat and AUX, but no CD.

Ipod actually slides into the unit on a tray. its the sony dsx ms60.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
there was a thread on here somewhere that had a schematic diagram which showed which pins on the back of the hk unit corresponded with the rca out right and left.

if you wanted to keep the stock head unit and not mess with line level converters, etc.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually would try that too. RCA's are much simpler.
there was a thread on here somewhere that had a schematic diagram which showed which pins on the back of the hk unit corresponded with the rca out right and left.

if you wanted to keep the stock head unit and not mess with line level converters, etc.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here are the pin outs for the rear speakers:

pin #1, right rear +
pin #2, left rear +
pin #24, right rear -
pin #25, left rear -

You will find these pins at the right side of the radio. Its the exposed 35 pins.
I found some female pins at Fry's Electronics that fit. Pin 1 is the top left, pin 24 is the bottom left.

Most amps with speaker level inputs also have a gain on them to adjust their output. This is how I wired my 4 channel amp with no RCAs.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Another question...am I better off getting RCA's wired in, or is the line output converter good enough of a signal? I guess I should ask too...am I better off ditching the HK and installing something else while I have everything torn apart?
If the rumor is true about the 2012 RGs being without Head unit, might be able to recoup some money if you replace your head unit. Just saying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts