Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 has the 4 speaker Bagger Nation setup from Rockford Fosgate in the fairing... (4) 6.5" speakers, Punch 300 watt 4 chann amp, stock HK head unit (I'll admit I didn't do my homework before making a purchase). Later I added (2) 1" Rockford Fosgate Punch Tweeters but they are powered off the HU since there was no room for them at the amp. I've never really been pleased with the sound. Have to remove virtually all bass at the HU to keep from audio clipping at highway volume. It's just not loud enough for highway speeds with out distorting the sound.

What is the best way to upgrade without throwing the whole system in the trash? Better amp? Some say aftermarket HU will make a huge difference... I'm not against it but wasn't really wanting to replace the stock HU. Is the entire system junk and I should start all over?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The guy at Biketronics told me I would notice a huge difference if I went with an aftermarket head unit. I thought I'd be happy enough, and I was, but I ended up ordering an Alpine head unit this winter for Bluetooth and better tuning. I hooked it up before I tore the bike down and it sounded TONS better. Plus the Alpine has crossovers and all that to fine tune the sound. I'd try a new head unit, and personally I've always liked Alpine. The one I got you can change all the display colors to 256 different colors.

EDIT: This is the Alpine I got, just a tip, don't buy it third party from Amazon, after two months I finally got a refund from a third party seller on Amazon that didn't package it properly and it was damaged.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree, try an aftermarket head unit. Look for those that have a higher pre-amp voltage. Most come with 2v pre amp outputs, looks for those with 4x or higher. This will clean things up even more. If that doesn't do it for you, that just means you need to swap out all of your components! That's the problem with the audio builds, they can get pricey if you don't nail it the first time!

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
My 2013 has the 4 speaker Bagger Nation setup from Rockford Fosgate in the fairing... (4) 6.5" speakers, Punch 300 watt 4 chann amp, stock HK head unit (I'll admit I didn't do my homework before making a purchase). Later I added (2) 1" Rockford Fosgate Punch Tweeters but they are powered off the HU since there was no room for them at the amp. I've never really been pleased with the sound. Have to remove virtually all bass at the HU to keep from audio clipping at highway volume. It's just not loud enough for highway speeds with out distorting the sound.

What is the best way to upgrade without throwing the whole system in the trash? Better amp? Some say aftermarket HU will make a huge difference... I'm not against it but wasn't really wanting to replace the stock HU. Is the entire system junk and I should start all over?
I had the same problem with the pbr 300x2 on the HK head unit. It sounded great until it started shutting down at highway volumes. Don't mix and match the speakers and run a better amp. You don't need a new HU , but there are much better HU's out there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
RF and stock HU

I had the exact same setup as what you are describing, and it seemed a world better from the start, but after getting it out on the road I knew there were better options. This winter I went with the Sony headunit and scoshe kit, as well as the hertz 6.5 speakers in the front. OMG what a difference but at highway speed at half volume I was still getting the amp to cut out (clip) and this weekend I will be putting in Diamond micro4 amp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same setup from Bagger Nation and the same problem at highway speeds. The problem with the PBR 300x4 it's a 4 ohm amp only and you can't use a more efficient 2 ohm speaker like the Kappas. An aftermarket HU will give better sound but you will still struggle hearing it at hwy speeds. I would start with a better amp, SS Nannos if you are on a budget if not the Arc 600 or the Biketronics amps are going to give plenty of power to grow into. I went all Biketronics a year ago and finally after several setups I have the sound I was looking for, no problem at hwy speeds. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts