Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 RGC that I currently have the front fairing removed from. I figured while I had the fairing removed I would take the opportunity to upgrade my factory sound system. I have read so many posts about audio upgrades that I am more confused than before I started reading. I used to dabbled in stereo equipment about 20 some years ago and I'm sure things have change significantly. I am going to upgrade my speakers in the fairing and add a set of speakers to the inside of my fairing as some here have done. One of my questions is which amp to go with. I am fairly certain that I need a 4 channel amp?? I was thing about the RF amp that many have used. Back in the day I would use RCA connections to connect the amp to the stereo, is this still the case? I will be keeping the factory HK stereo. I think I will also give the J&M Rokker xt's a shot. Do you all recommend J&M for the inside fairing speakers? Do I need to remove the inner fairing to cut the holes for the inner fairing speakers? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
490 Posts
SN10, I too have plans to install a system next month, so I've been reading and talking to get it all figured out. Here is what I've bought and planned :

1. Bought Clarion M502 Bluetooth head unit to play music from iphone while it stays in my pocket

2. Bought Arc Audio KS125.2, will be trading it in for a KS125.4. I have seen photos of this installed in between the side of the glovebox and the inner fairing.

3. Buying tomorrow Hawg Wired install kit, this thing has bitchin' faceplate and plugs in to factory wiring, therefore allowing handlebar controls of head unit functions.

4. Plan to put Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5 in front with Arc Audio adaptor rings and JL Audio C-2 6 x 9' in Cycle Sounds lids. Gotta save a little scratch for the lids though, they're not givin' 'em away you know !

5. I have this idea that someday I may put 4 ea. 6.5" subs in a custom enclosure in the bags along with a 400w mon amp that's sittin' in the garage.

I was origionally planning to install 4 ea. 6.5" in the fairing, but was recently talked out of it by local installer, he stated that I would not hear a noticeable difference in volume and that my money was better spent putting 6 x 9's in the bag lids.

Sorry for the length or confusion I may have added, good luck whichever way you go. :)

Peace

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
SN10 I don't know your budget, but 2 RF 300s is a nice way to go also. You don't have to remove the inner fairing to cut the holes, the brand of speakers you use determines wether or not you keep the glove boxes.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Everybody has different choices, taste, etc., etc.,...
I wont use nutn but,...'Hawg-Wired'
Great-Outstanding-Customer Service,and a Product that has gave me '0' hassles!!!
I can push it to the limit and then some.
Call Frank @ Drago's. he's a Sponsor here on the 4/m.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
could you use a 2 channel amp like the arc 125.2 (2 ohm), hooking up 2 speakers (4 ohm) in parallel (giving you 2 ohms resistance)? i know that there would be no fader capability, but do you really need it for the fairing speakers?

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
could you use a 2 channel amp like the arc 125.2 (2 ohm), hooking up 2 speakers (4 ohm) in parallel (giving you 2 ohms resistance)? i know that there would be no fader capability, but do you really need it for the fairing speakers?
Yes you can.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
Everybody has different choices, taste, etc., etc.,...
I wont use nutn but,...'Hawg-Wired'
Great-Outstanding-Customer Service,and a Product that has gave me '0' hassles!!!
I can push it to the limit and then some.
Call Frank @ Drago's. he's a Sponsor here on the 4/m.
Neano I like Hawgwired also, I went with RF last year because of size and cost, and it is a nice amp. Now that Hawgwired has the new series out I'm going to buy two and the remote. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ordered the Hawg Wired Six Pack with the new amp last friday from Frank at Dragos. He gave me a great deal. Now just waiting because the new amps are on back order till next week. I can't wait to install it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I ordered the Hawg Wired Six Pack with the new amp last friday from Frank at Dragos. He gave me a great deal. Now just waiting because the new amps are on back order till next week. I can't wait to install it.

jlineman75 did your HW 6 Pack come in yet.?
I ordered mine from Frank on 12/26/12. I spoke with him yesterday when I ordered the Tweeter Kit and he said it hadn't been shipped yet.
I'm hoping to get mine soon so I can finish putting my glide back together.
Mike U.

·
Registered
142 Posts
jlineman75 did your HW 6 Pack come in yet.?
I ordered mine from Frank on 12/26/12. I spoke with him yesterday when I ordered the Tweeter Kit and he said it hadn't been shipped yet.
I'm hoping to get mine soon so I can finish putting my glide back together.
Mike U.
Not yet I called Hawg Wired and they said the 6.5" speakers are back ordered till next week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the 6 pack myself and spoke with Frank today. Sounds like they are going to ship and the end of next week. Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used a Sony head unit, a JL Audio 400/4, and 2 sets of JL Audio component speakers.

I had an ARC Audio setup and removed it in favor of the JL Audio setup -- what a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was origionally planning to install 4 ea. 6.5" in the fairing, but was recently talked out of it by local installer, he stated that I would not hear a noticeable difference in volume and that my money was better spent putting 6 x 9's in the bag lids.
My experience with 4 ea. 6.5's in the fairing was a dramatic improvement over a single pair in the fairing. With my ARC system (their mini amp + 2 speakers / 2 tweeters), I could not hear the stereo at speed (I wear a full face Helmet). With my JL Audio system (JL Audio 400/4 amp, 4 ea. of their ZR650-CSi's), I now hear the stereo at half the volume at 80+ mph. In fact my wife can hear what I am playing on her bike thru the mike on our Cardo Scala Rider G9 system.

My installer was of the opinion that you do 4 in the fairing first - then add bag lid speakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts