Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add an amp to my radio. My question is to be able to add a couple speakers later can I buy a 4 channel amp, or can I run 4 speakers eventually off of a 2 channel. I want to purchase the right amp to be able to upgrade later. Hope this makes sense. Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You can get a 2channel and connect 4speakers to it. I have the HW RS400 amp and 4 Hertz speakers. The ohms from each will determine how you wire them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You can get a 2channel and connect 4speakers to it. I have the HW RS400 amp and 4 Hertz speakers. The ohms from each will determine how you wire them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
What he said yes a good 2 channel amp will run 4 speakers

·
Registered
26 Posts
CSM11,

Be careful which 2ch amplifier you purshase. Most modern amplifiers will be able to handle a 2ohm load (2 x 4ohm speakers per channel). Some, however will not. Make sure you look for this warning when purshasing the amplifier or ask the retailer.

Bobby

·
Registered
967 Posts
CSM11,

Be careful which 2ch amplifier you purshase. Most modern amplifiers will be able to handle a 2ohm load (2 x 4ohm speakers per channel). Some, however will not. Make sure you look for this warning when purshasing the amplifier or ask the retailer.

Bobby
+ if amp have gain or frequency response adjustments will cause speaker or amplifier damage if not setup properly.
Best to get the 4 channel even if using only 2 channels easy to add speakers latter. Good amp is costly spend wisely.
FYI if using stock radio 2 ohm speakers J&M 500 wt 4 channel is set to plug and play from the factory for the HD radios.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
my rockford PBR300x2 is 190+w x 2 @ 2ohm

but it's random, my second one is rate 10w per channel lower - and still over runs a set of HAT 250w max speakers in the lids

I use a 86Hz crossover point, for the front, just a shade above the first line on the dial, and a gain of about 5.5

run 4 speakers from those 2 channels, and initially blew all 4 speakers within a year, & added lids so I wouldn't drive the front 4 speakers so hard, it worked, but one amp will rock the house, and drive 4 speakers easily

rockford 2 channel is the only "non-motorcycle specific" brand I would recommend

soundstream, will save you $20, but then your stuck with issues from fitment to noise abatement to tuning and remote capabilities

beyond that hawg wired

aside from the variable crossovers, the rockford PBR300x2 has a PEQ which is much quicker and instant for making sound adjustments while riding v. menus

since most of your dynamic sound comes from bass strikes, always find a speaker that are at least 250w max, and timber and output matched if plan on pairing them in series or parallel.

I prefer parallel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts