Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a quick question as I'm still trying to learn more of this audio stuff.

I've picked up a set of HAT 6.5s for the fairing and a set of their 5x7s for my lids and according to Hybird Audio both the 6.5s and the 5x7s are 100w rms.
I'm currently running a RF TM400X4ad amp and my question is, is this enough amplifier for these speakers? Should I be running something bigger or maybe adding a second amp?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Hi all,
I have a quick question as I'm still trying to learn more of this audio stuff.

I've picked up a set of HAT 6.5s for the fairing and a set of their 5x7s for my lids and according to Hybird Audio both the 6.5s and the 5x7s are 100w rms.
I'm currently running a RF TM400X4ad amp and my question is, is this enough amplifier for these speakers? Should I be running something bigger or maybe adding a second amp?
Hey Rabbit, I'm by no means an Audio Guru but I think that amp should be fine, if the amp and speakers are of the same ohms and you wire the speakers in parallel.
Here's a link to RF for the amp you listed, https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/tm400x4ad/
Best of Luck and keep Us posted.
Mike U.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd like to hear more comments on this amp also. I actually have it along with the RF 4 speaker kit. The dealer installed it in my 19 RGS, I just got a windshield still waiting on some nice weather to see how it really sounds at speed...With all the wind noise I was getting, I was not impressed! Hopefully the new taller WS will make all the difference. I will say it is loud stting still ! According to the weatherman I may be able to get a decent right in this weekend...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd like to hear more comments on this amp also. I actually have it along with the RF 4 speaker kit. The dealer installed it in my 19 RGS, I just got a windshield still waiting on some nice weather to see how it really sounds at speed...With all the wind noise I was getting, I was not impressed! Hopefully the new taller WS will make all the difference. I will say it is loud stting still ! According to the weatherman I may be able to get a decent right in this weekend...
You should not have any problem hearing it. I have that system also, installed by RF in Sturgis and its night and day over factory

They done some tuning to fit my normal music type and I could clearly hear it at any speed, now I added a aftmkt head unit with an adjustable EQ ect.. and wow it's like I have Godsmack playing on my tank

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hi all,
I'm assuming that you grabbed the I61-2V2 and I69-2V2 speakers and not the mid-bass versions? The TM400X4ad is a great AMP no matter how you look at it. It is capable of pushing all four speakers, but you'll be right at the edge of it's power capacity to drive all four of those speakers at the volume you may be looking for. The HAT speakers are efficient, so you might be fine driving them with 100W per channel. I'd probably defer to someone who is actually running that combination for hands on experience.

But if you want "blow your socks off" volume, you'll really need to consider a second AMP. In my humble opinion you really need 150W per channel or more on the Road Glides for most decently efficient coax and component speaker sets (thinking 91dB or higher).

With the TM400X4ad Amp there isn't much benefit in parallel wiring 4 Ohm speakers to drop the impedance down to 2 Ohms, as the TM400X4ad has the same rated continuous power output regardless of whether driving a 4 Ohm or 2 Ohm load. Looking at the dynamic power output, the Amp does a little bit better at 2 Ohms though.

Ideally, you could bridge the TM400X4ad and run the front or rear pair of speakers, then grab another AMP to drive the other pair of speakers. There's the "blow your socks off" volume you might be looking for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming that you grabbed the I61-2V2 and I69-2V2 speakers and not the mid-bass versions? The TM400X4ad is a great AMP no matter how you look at it. It is capable of pushing all four speakers, but you'll be right at the edge of it's power capacity to drive all four of those speakers at the volume you may be looking for. The HAT speakers are efficient, so you might be fine driving them with 100W per channel. I'd probably defer to someone who is actually running that combination for hands on experience.

But if you want "blow your socks off" volume, you'll really need to consider a second AMP. In my humble opinion you really need 150W per channel or more on the Road Glides for most decently efficient coax and component speaker sets (thinking 91dB or higher).

With the TM400X4ad Amp there isn't much benefit in parallel wiring 4 Ohm speakers to drop the impedance down to 2 Ohms, as the TM400X4ad has the same rated continuous power output regardless of whether driving a 4 Ohm or 2 Ohm load. Looking at the dynamic power output, the Amp does a little bit better at 2 Ohms though.

Ideally, you could bridge the TM400X4ad and run the front or rear pair of speakers, then grab another AMP to drive the other pair of speakers. There's the "blow your socks off" volume you might be looking for.
Thanks wevsspot that's kinda what I was wanting to know.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you were wanting to keep the simplicity of a single AMP, you could always sell your TM400X4ad and buy something more powerful. The Arc Audio 600.4 gets you 4-channels / 4 ohms / 150w per channel. The Stinger SPX700X4 would be another option as well. Money wise though, you might be better off just buying another AMP to drive one set of those speakers (assuming you're willing to give up some space somewhere.

A well respected audio guy at the other forum has mentioned the newer NVX VADM series AMPS as a perfect solution for the Road Glides, having lots of punch in a small package. I'm pretty sure he's been talking this one up;

https://www.nvx.com/vadm4/

You can buy them at Sonic Electronix for $169. Run it in bridged mode and you'll get 200W x2 @ 4 ohms. You could use the NVX amp to drive your fairing speakers, and your TM400X4ad to drive the 6x9s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts