Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll preface this post by saying that through my life (52 years young :)) I've done many many head unit, amp, speaker, subwoofer installs in my time. However, I'm new to the motorcycle audio upgrade crowd. I understand the fundamental differences in heat and power draw / switching circuitry between the various AMP classes and the affect that high current draw can have on a motorcycle charging system.

I've got a 2015 Road Glide that I'm considering amping up over the winter and I'm going to take a less traveled road than those willing / able to spend $300 - $400 dollars on an amp, and even those that swear the RF PBR300 series is the best motorcycle AMP for the money.

So with that being said, please resist the temptation to recommend Biketronics, JL or JM systems :)

Most of the AMPS I'm considering are class D such as;

Kenwood XR400-4 eXcleon

Alpine MRV-F300

Soundstream PN2.350D
Amazon.com: Soundstream PN2.350D 350W 2-Channel Picasso Nano Class D Amplifier: Car Electronics

But I've also ran across an interesting class A/B AMP from JBL;

JBL GX-A602
It's a smallish AMP rated at 85W RMS x2 2 Ohm, but again it is a class A/B amp.

What are the compelling reasons why I wouldn't choose a small A/B class AMP (like the JBL GX-A602) over one of the Class D AMPS I noted above?

Of the AMPS I listed which one would you choose?

This is a simple project, I can't spend $1000s of dollars to achieve my end results, I'm not going to any audio competitions and I don't need to have the loudest audio on the block. Just an improvement over stock.

I don't anticipate ever running a 4-speakers setup, so the AMP is strictly to power two 6.5" fairing speakers (JBL GTO638) that I may upgrade down the road to Kappas, Hertz or something else.

Thanks for the education and input.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I'm very happy with the SS pn nano line. Had problems with the RF 300x2.
The ab amps will sound richer than the class D amps but run a lot hotter.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Thanks BG. So your recommendation would be to stay away from A/B class AMPS..... even the lower power versions?
It depends on where you live, how much you ride and how much you listen to the tunes.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends on where you live, how much you ride and how much you listen to the tunes.
Northwest Arkansas - high 90s in the heat of the summer

One or two days a week when the weather permits and an extended weekend or week about once a year (think Sturgis or similar)

Always listening to tunes when riding.

I found another possible class D candidate;

Cerwin-Vega B2.......

·
Registered
232 Posts
Class D over A/B. I had just researched the same last month. D has more pros than cons and played side by side you would hardly tell a difference. A lot of us save money going with the sound stream Pn4-520D. I will be purchasing this soon once I get extra funds and speaker selection.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Damn you all for having an intelligent conversation and causing me to rethink my audio strategy to date (pb300x2). Sucker gets real hot, cuts out at 3/4 volume during hot days. I just figured out my left speaker tweeter is blown so may be having some impact. Thanks for the info and opinionsof the class D amps.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate all of the feedback guys. Ended up going with the Cerwin-Vega B2 based off of great comments about this unit over at HD forums. To sweeten the deal Sonix Electronics had them on sale for $119.99 with free shipping.

Also picked up a PAC-SNI15 line output converter while I was shopping.

Now between new bars and amp upgrade I'll have a couple of projects to work on through the winter months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed a Cerwin Vega B4 amp and ended up pulling it out because it killed all radio reception. I like listing to the radio some times so that was a no go for me. That seems to be the most common issue with the class D amps. Wouldn't matter in a car but right by the radio on the bike it does. Other than that they are awesome. Just my 2 cents. Now to find another unit. Im in GA but am probably still going to go with the PBR300 and put a fan on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A/B no good

Be careful with installing an A/B amp on a motorcycle. Current draw is much higher than what the bike may be capable of reproducing. That's what makes class D the perfect choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts