Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using Amsoil 20 50 in their bikes? I'm thinking about using it in my new 2015 CVO. The closest real (w/parts dept) harley dealer is 130 miles away, I can get Amsoil locally. The local harley tee shirt shop says two weeks before they have harley 20 50 syn. The bike is new and ready for the 1000 mile fluid change. I was thinking using the amsoil in motor, primary and tranny. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ready for a collective gasp?

Harley Syn 3 tests poorly

Mobil 1 15w-50 is a great alternative
not available locally, any experience with amsoil?

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,521 Posts
Nice scoot; treat her with Amsoil or Redline or Mobil before using HD oil. Just my 2 cents. I would opt for Redline first.

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
Amsoil is good, if I had to choose between Syn3 and Amsoil. ...... I wouldn't have a problem at all, definitely Amsoil. BTW, remember, HD doesn't make oil, they buy it to sell to you for more profit. :D

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Ready for a collective gasp?

Harley Syn 3 tests poorly

Mobil 1 15w-50 is a great alternative
not available locally, any experience with amsoil?
If you have a walmart local which I'd imagine you do cuz they're everywhere then you can buy the mobil1 15w50 synthetic in a 5gal jug for under $30. I switched to it recently because it gets good reviews in this forum and I'm sick of paying $10+ per qt for everything else

Reactions: Q-Hog

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have a walmart local which I'd imagine you do cuz they're everywhere then you can buy the mobil1 15w50 synthetic in a 5gal jug for under $30. I switched to it recently because it gets good reviews in this forum and I'm sick of paying $10+ per qt for everything else
Wally World is 130 miles away also.......... I'm with you on the price thing, it's getting ridiculous!!! Amsoil locally $11.75 per quart by the case. Harley is 13 per quart no matter how many and not available for two weeks locally.

Amsoil is all I have ever used in my Harleys. It is all I will ever use.
Is that the Amsoil 20 50 motorcycle oil for all three holes?

·
Administrator
12,396 Posts
Never used Amsoil , like any other oil , many swear by it , and , many swear at it .

Lots here use it and are happy with it ..

I have also used Mobil 1 15-50 and the Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 . I had one bad oil analysis ( I do it every oil change ) and switched brands ..

I have used the Harley Syn3 , which IS NOT a full synthetic , and I have a used oil analysis that shows it is a very good oil ...

I am an extended drain guy and pay a few more bucks for Redline 20-60 and their shock proof in the trans .. I use their primary oil as well , but that's one you don't have to be so picky about .. I cant get it locally , but I mail order it before it is needed ..

Use a good brand name synthetic and change your oil regularly and all will be well in your world ..

There are very few oil related engine failures directly attributed to the oil , unless it isn't changed ..

JtB

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
You also don't need "motorcycle" branded oil In the engine either, after all its just an engine.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I ran Amsoil in my 06 Dyna for the life of the bike never an issue, and ran Amsoil in my 12 Road Glide since 500 miles, never switched back. I may try the Moblie Synthetic oil because it is wicked cheap at Walmart and Amsoil is kinda pricey

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had cams installed at my local small Indy last year and they switched all the fluids to Amsoil. No complaints here. I will continue to use it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've put 45000 on my V Rod using Amsoil MC oil, no problems at all. Automotive style oils in the primary would be a no no, but engine only should be ok. Only thing I'm not sure of is how the difference in additive packages would be affected by the higher temps seen in air cooled engines.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I do the Amsoil preferred customer program so I can just log on and order a case at a time and have it shipped to my door. Comes out cheaper than buying it locally even. They also have just come out with primary and tranny fluids that I just recently put in and I am very happy with. You can also get filters through them. If you put on a lot of miles and have to change fluids 3 or 4 times a year then I would say the preferred customer program is the way to go. It is $20 a year or $80 for 5 years and that gets you at least a 20% discount. 20w/50 comes to $9.20 per quart or about $104 per case. Even when I calculate the price of the membership and the shipping it still comes out cheaper per qt than purchasing locally and it gets delivered to my door. Just my 2 cents and I love having fluids and supplies on my shelf for whenever I need to do a service.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have been using Amsoil 20w-50 without issues for many years...you can also us it for your primary and transmission...Amsoil is now offering a synthetic Fluid for people who prefer a dedicated primary and transmission oil...I am a T-1 Amsoil dealer and I rarely answer these post because they turn into such a pissing match...I never push the product as being the end-all of all oils, but it my opinion it is a very good oil and has provided me and my customers reliable rssults. You can PM me if you have further questions.

Use whatever oil you feel works best for you.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I've been using Amsoil in all my vehicles and my Harley's for 14 years. Tripled my change time and oil still checks almost as good as new. Just recently I changed to Liqui-Moly Race Tech GT-1 20w 60. This is the oil that BMW using in their cars and motorcycles. A friend ran test last year at 1000 miles, 2000 miles and then 5000 miles. Oil looked very clean and the test all came back as almost like new in protective capabilities. You can order it online for right as $40 for a 5 quart jug. I'm liking it and what I read about it. Oh, don't buy the one made for motorcycles, it's more expensive and it's the same as the regular synthetic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone!!!!!! picking up amsoil today......

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Been using Amsoil for years in every hole but the primary snd was told that was a waste. Using Shell Rotella T in primary with no issues at all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts