Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read where people are using the 20-50 w synthetic for oil, transmission and cranny. Does anyone here use the same oil like that? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
some do , but syn in the primary will usually slip the clutch , and syn or motor oil itself is not gear oil ..

So I use motor oil in the motor , my aftermarket clutch plates suggest light weight non synthetic motor oil , and the transmission has gears in it , so I use .............. wala gear oil ..

And after doing this all my life , I DO NOT follow the recommended fluid change ..

I change the motor and primary every oil change and the transmission , every other oil change ..

Oil is cheep ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I run AMSOIL in all 3 holes... BUT.... SPECIFIC fluids. Amsoil sells Trans oil and Primary oil... they are separate and DIFFERENT.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Many do. As for SYN making clutch slip old myth that never dies. It does not. There are better option than 20/50 engine oil but not reason you can't.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use REDLINE all 3 holes every 5K. I'm hard on my throttle and all and when I check for metal ect a bit of dusting I see very little so I’m a happy camper. Use what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have tried probably 25 different combinations in the three holes, including 20/50 in all three. I'm not an expert but I feel no difference regardless of what I use and I have never had an engine or transmission issue. Next oil change I'm trying Harley's new gear oil in the tranny and primary just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Run amsoil in crank and primary. Never had an slip. gear oil in the gears.
If you run the wrong syn, not rated for wet clutch, then you'll sit and spin....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been changing oil in bikes for decades. Amsoil has NEVER caused slippage in my clutch. I don't race my bike or do burnouts. I use 20w50 in all 3 holes. The Trans will work fine with either dedicated transmission oil or 20w50 mc oil. No need to pay the higher price for dedicated oil.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
No need to pay the higher price for dedicated oil.
totally agree. that's why I use shell rotella t in the primary ($15 gal) and supertech 75-90 in the tranny ($5 qt).

I am going big time with this m8 engine though. while I would normally run mobile1 15-50 ($27 5 qt), I just recently bought a case of 12 qts of redline 20-60 off amazon ($125)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts