Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello RG family, I was reviewing the do-it-yourself thread on servicing my bike and had a question. Is there an issue with using Amsoil 20w/50 in all three holes. If so what would be your suggestions for the tranny and primary.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hello RG family, I was reviewing the do-it-yourself thread on servicing my bike and had a question. Is there an issue with using Amsoil 20w/50 in all three holes. If so what would be your suggestions for the tranny and primary.

I think most of us will recommend something designed for transmissions in the transmission, and 80-90W or 90-140W. Amsoil has a couple of trans oils that are good, or Redline's shockproof line of products.
The primary can be most anything, and a lot of people seem to like Harley's version. Currently I use the same I use in the trans as I think the design of the current compensator can benefit from a high pressure, high shear strength oil.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just did my 1000 mi service and I used amsoil 20/50 synthetic in the engine and primary and amsoil severe gear 70/110 in the trans. Clutch and trans operation seem much better . I also used amsoil in my turbo vrod for years. I highly recommend amsoil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I used to use Amsoil in the crankcase, until I needed some on the road and could not find it. That is why I switched to Mobil1. You can usually find that at Wally World or one of the parts chain stores.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
What you CAN do and get away with, both in life and regarding oils, is not necessarily what you SHOULD do!

Do a search on oils in this Forum!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mobil 1 V twin in the engine and Redline in the Trans and Primary. I also use the Scavenger Oil change system and a K and N oil filter with the easy off nut.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your responses, I will be purchasing these items this weekend and doing my 1000 mile service next weekend. Looking forward to doing this, it will be my first time doing my own service. This site has been a big help to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts