Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the train from Boston or New York to Stugis? Looking to find out coasts for travel for person and motorcycle. Trying to plan a Stugis trip and looking for the best way to get bikes and people there.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Has anyone taken the train from Boston or New York to Stugis? Looking to find out coasts for travel for person and motorcycle. Trying to plan a Stugis trip and looking for the best way to get bikes and people there.
Can't help you with the Amtrak train, but the best way is to ride it there. This year will be the 13th year and I can't imagine not riding there. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help you with the Amtrak train, but the best way is to ride it there. This year will be the 13th year and I can't imagine not riding there. Good luck.
I hear you Smarty. Riding out there is our top choice. Just looking at every option.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
The only Auto Train for Amtrak that I am aware of is between Woodbridge, VA and Sanford, FL. There are bike shipping services you can use to ship your bike then ride the train out, but you will need to check and see how close to Sturgis Amtrak has a stop. I believe the bike shipping trucks drop the bikes in Rapid City. It might be better to fly into Rapid City

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only Auto Train for Amtrak that I am aware of is between Woodbridge, VA and Sanford, FL. There are bike shipping services you can use to ship your bike then ride the train out, but you will need to check and see how close to Sturgis Amtrak has a stop. I believe the bike shipping trucks drop the bikes in Rapid City. It might be better to fly into Rapid City
This is true. The only auto carrier that you can ride on and off is between FL and VA. I looked into this a few months ago.

If you ever think about using it just keep in mind it's not cheap. You have to pay to put your vehicle on it AND have to purchase tickets for the train. My father and I wanted to use it to go to the Florida Keys and back but the amount of time you saved didn't justify the money. We would have done it just to say we took our bikes on the train but service last year has been sketchy because of all the storms in the area of that train line. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Amtrak used to put on a special train for Sturgis. I know some people who took it a few years ago. I couldn't find any info on it when I was planning our trip last year. From what I heard it didn't go all the way to SD. Basically dropped you off at a depot in the middle of Illinois or something.

We ended up riding there and back. Glad we did, the ride was great and was as much part of the experience as being there. A couple of guys trailered out and back, knocked it out in a day and a half each way, trading off driving duties, but they were beat for about a day when they got there.

We rode out in 3 1/2 days, averaging about 550 miles a day. Day 1 was from MA to Youngstown OH, day 2 got us to Janesville WI and day 3 we were in Sioux Falls SD. We were in Wall SD by lunch on the fourth day, which is where the biking action starts. Got to our rental house in Rapid City late afternoon, and could have been earlier but we were stopping a lot more to check things out on the last stretch in.

By the way, I would advise anyone to stay in rapid city, unless you really want to be in the middle of the biker party scene at the campgrounds. rapid is a bit cheaper and it's possible to go out for dinner without fighting the crowds and paying $10 for a hotdog.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ginee3, this will be my 15th year in Sturgis, I've ridden every year from Green Bay, straight through, one day, 900+ miles. If you don't want to ride, don't ride, it doesn't mean shit if you do or don't. All these people who say, "you gotta ride", "if you don't ride", blah blah blah, whatever, it's that you're there. I get so sick of all the "Nice trailer pussy" t-shirts and stuff.

What about the guy who served his country, worked his ass off as a farmer or whatever and has a bad back, maybe he/she lives in FL and riding just isn't an option. It's that you go, not how you get there. Only one will judge you, and he don't give a shit if you ride, trailer or rent when you get there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ginee3, this will be my 15th year in Sturgis, I've ridden every year from Green Bay, straight through, one day, 900+ miles. If you don't want to ride, don't ride, it doesn't mean shit if you do or don't. All these people who say, "you gotta ride", "if you don't ride", blah blah blah, whatever, it's that you're there. I get so sick of all the "Nice trailer pussy" t-shirts and stuff.

What about the guy who served his country, worked his ass off as a farmer or whatever and has a bad back, maybe he/she lives in FL and riding just isn't an option. It's that you go, not how you get there. Only one will judge you, and he don't give a shit if you ride, trailer or rent when you get there.
HOLY SHIT!!!! Tell us how you really feel.:surprise: You're right though, doesn't matter how you get there just as long as you get there.

·
Registered
406 Posts

I totaly agree with you.
I have been the last 5 years.
It takes roughly 3 days for me to get there.
Then 3 days back.
With 2 weeks holiday i spend 6 days on the interstate :(
Last year we trailered.....smartest move yet!
Being Canadian we have a few options.
Theres a trailer company that does it for about $900 return.
And Air Canada does $600 to Calgary one way.

Motorcycle transport Transport de motos

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Gotta agree ^^, driving a bike is a hassle, then you'd
have to put gas into it. Especially the size of a Roadglide,
No matter what year. My oversized garage needed a stereo and
my top of the line toyhauler.. needed a shiny toy.

In fact, I had it delivered with a full tank.

Or was that 'I bought the trailer with the Roadglide 'that
I own, on it.

Tires are expensive enough for my toyhauler/trailer

Wether physicaly can or can't, well least I'd own a
29 thousand dollar scoot to suffer over

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Seriously, having your trucked there, commercialy, is a good option. Seen where they put of to 12 bikes on open bed, full service transport

·
Registered
498 Posts
Having the bike trucked there is not always a great option for those of us living in the Northeast, where our riding season is short enough as it is. You were basically stuck on the trucking companies schedule. It could mean being without your bike for up to two weeks before and after the event. One of the guys we went with last year only comes back to the US for six weeks in the summer. He would've been without his bike so pretty much all of his vacation except the five days in Sturgis.

And then you still have to get yourself out there. It's still a good 2 day drive from New England. Flying directly to Rapid City for bike week is really expensive. The closest reasonable alternatives are Sioux Falls or Denver, which still requires you getting a rental or some other way to get to Sturgis.

I really enjoy touring, the planning and the ride, and take a certain satisfaction from bringing my bike to different places. But if you just want to explore the event and the surrounding area at Sturgis, I would recommend looking into renting a bike. There were rental bikes from all over the Midwest and Central states being returned to the dealership in Rapid City on the Saturday we were leaving. It looks like they ship in a ton for the event. You could probably rent a bike for not a lot more than shipping yours there and back and not have to deal with shipping your own bike, and the hassles that can sometimes come with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Well said

·
Registered
302 Posts
Available time is the key issue for many.

There are a lot of options. We looked into shipping/flying to Seattle. Touring our way to Sturgis, then shipping/flying home. Was not much more money, due to the premium paid for
Sturgis.

Last year, 15 of us shipped/flew round trip from the Boston area. We lost our MC's for 3 of the 4 weeks - drop off to pick up.

There are better options, but difficult for a large group. 1-4 people, lots of options. Look at the all HD forums, Craigslist, Boston Biker.

If you do ship/fly, I agree with those that posted earlier, Rapid City pick up for your MC.

Consider that a good used trailer could be purchased, used for the trip, then sold for the same cost. Or, U-Haul has some decent price trailers for a 10 day stint.

To me, focus on the riding while you are out in the Sturgis area. Not a bad idea to arrive early, or stay late, outside of the official rally dates.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts