Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Dropped Progressive

i dropped them two years ago when I first heard about Soros. I will spend a few $'s more to support a company that supports causes I believe in.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Even so, they will not give you the 15k if they don't have to. They will make you prove what the bike was worth at the time of the loss. Basically how much someone would have paid you for it, not how much it cost you to put it together. There are a lot of disappointments when people have this type of coverage and don't realize the actual claim process.

The other insurance agents you talked to may have just been honest with you with the limits that they were willing to accept.
My insurance has pics of the car but required the appraisal.The appraiser that did my car went threw collectors car sales books same cars on line and sent pics to like car collectors and bids compiled three sources of the information to get the appraised price.Then the insurance agent wrote the insurance for that price same as a piece of high end jewelry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you think the ad here is bad, the insurance offered by Harley is underwritten by Progressive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting info. Just switched from Progressive with the change in bikes. Apparently my 5 previous years with Progressive didn't mean that much to them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just FYI . . . Peter B Lewis is the FORMER CEO of Progressive. He hasn't been running the company for several years now, and wasn't when the whole Soros thing came out.

As for who to go with, I have Progressive because that's who USAA uses for MC insurance and where I live no one else can touch the rates.

Regardless of who you choose, make sure you pay attention to the coverage. When I bought my RG, there was a Progressive agent at the dealership because it was a special event. He quoted me a new policy that "would save me several hundred a year" It had less coverage.

Short version, shop smart and know what you're getting.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
you believe everything you read in your email?

these things are designed to get a reaction, and are not necessarily representative of the entire truth.

they have a word for people who are willing to make a decision based on someone else's opinion without doing any of their own due diligence and research.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have progressive thru another insurance company. Best rate for the coverage I wanted by far and I am not a fan of Soros' politics. Though he donates lots of money which should be seen as a good thing (and some are good causes in my opinion).

I don't think one can put too much stock on boycotting a company due to the donations of one person. All these companies are so intertwined nowadays if you really took the time to research you would find someone that donated mass amounts of money to a cause you disagree with.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have had car insurance and house insurance through Progressive for a long time, but Markel American / Bike-Line has been my two wheeler insurance company with much better pricing than Progressive. Nobody can touch the Progressive price on my car insurance but Bike-Line has always been a much better price for the bikes. Like Perry says - be absolutely certain you are comparing apples to apples since some changes can vastly affect both the price and the coverage.

I will say that the one time I had a claim with Progressive I found the service to be top notch, they were at my office the same day I placed the claim and I had a check in my hand that day along with instructions on who the body shop should contact if they find more damage than the adjuster estimated - and my rental car was waiting for me. My one claim experience with State Farm (who charged more than twice as much) was really crappy, with me having to go around and get several estimates and then ending up with them shorting the garage $50 bucks I had to pay after it was done.

A friend of mine who has progressive on his Ultra Classic busted his bike up and was very happy with Progressive's service. (they don't pay me anything to pass along first hand info...)

I have yet to see one of these circulating e-mails that was not a gross distortion of the truth no matter which side of a topic it takes - but people keep circulating them anyway. I especially like the 12 year old fake amber alert emails.... :eek:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I have yet to see one of these circulating e-mails that was not a gross distortion of the truth no matter which side of a topic it takes - but people keep circulating them anyway. I especially like the 12 year old fake amber alert emails.... :eek:
yeah, this one is off from the start....
"Harley Owners Group", the biggest motorcycle club in America , maybe even the world, hasn't found any members that have Progressive Insurance
especially since hd insurance is underwritten by progressive, depending on where in the country you are.

then all of the donations that they go on to list that peter lewis did are all dated from 2001. he hadn't been the ceo or chariman of the board since 2000.

i've been with progressive over 12 years. in that time i've had to make 3 claims, none of them as a result of an accident, but they have been top notch in dealing with all 3 of them.

and hey, if he wants to give all his money away in order to decriminalize pot, who am i to argue?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't rate insurance companies solely on the interests or affiliations of their owners. Many insurers have many owners, so there's a good chance that one of the owners has an affiliation or donates money to a cause someone doesn't like. That's just the way of corporate ownership. I rate companies on price, terms and their service after the accident.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Insurance

Couldn't agree more with judging insurance companies by their level of service and their prices. I had Progressive four years ago for about 3 months and dropped them after they coudn't get the billing correct, and tried charging me for coverages that I told them (on the phone and through registered mail) that I did not want. They suck as an insurance company... my opinion...

I used USAA until I tried to add a bike on my policy and found out they send everyone to Progressive. I wound up moving all of my vehicles over to the same policy with GEICO.

On the other hand, I do find the information from the original post really interesting. I guess we all have to make decisions based on our beliefs. Personally, that gave me another reason not to ever do business with Progressive...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have Progressive on my dyna, and had a good experience with claims. That siad, I am a serious libertarian, with no love for any controll freaks whatsoever!
Things are getting out of hand with corprate, and private wealthy influence over our legislators.
I hadn't realized Progressive to be anything more in that arena, never gave it any thought. I would gladly pay a bit more for products I choose that don't pollute my TV with election ads. They could pass the savings on to me! It would be a full time job trying to keep up with which beer I should drink, but when I hear Progessive is in the Oprah Winfrey camp, well, maby I should shop arround a bit.
It would just be easier if The USA wern't up for sale to the lowest bidder.:confused:

·
Registered
805 Posts
What an I opener. Must give this whole issue more thought. At this point in time I know one insurance I'll stay away from is, state farm for motorcycles. They really are terrible to try to deal with when you have a claim.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
What an I opener. Must give this whole issue more thought. At this point in time I know one insurance I'll stay away from is, state farm for motorcycles. They really are terrible to try to deal with when you have a claim.
if you're going to 'give this some more thought', then i suggest you actually do the research and not listen to some random email that has been circulating around the web forever. unless of course you really do believe that you're long lost cousin's daughter's pool boy is secretly a nigerian millionaire and want's to give you his millions for safekeeping.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
this is a copy of an email sent to me by a friend:

The "Harley Owners Group", the biggest motorcycle club in America , maybe even the world, hasn't found any members that have Progressive Insurance since the word got out about Progressives communist affiliations.
I know lots of HOG members who have Progressive Insurance, so right off the bat this e-mail is full of chit. Harley's own insurance is underwritten by Progressive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
30 years My buddy has had a auto body shop for over 30 years he has nothing good to say about progressive and how they handle their claims.Jetman I understand you wanting the coverage on the custom Honda but I question if you really have that kind of coverage.I have a 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 that I have insured for 19,000.00 It required a certified appraisal to be covered my agent told me he could write it for any amount but would not be insured with out the appraisal for above book value.I recommend you do a little checking on this.Hate for you to think your covered and its not.Don't know of any insurance to take your word of value.
Not a motorcycle, but my 87 SS Aerocoupe is insured through Hagerty for $16,000 with only pictoral documentation. It's low mileage and only sees a couple hundred miles a year though.
Ed

21 - 40 of 47 Posts