Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A "Squeak-like" noise seeming to come from the belt

When I was riding the steep curves and hills of the "Tail of the Dragon" I noticed a "Squeak" coming from the area of the belt on the rear wheel. This seems to happen when I down shifted or quickly let off the throttle in the lower gears. It now seems to be happening more. Any thoughts, such as belt tension? I have 22K miles on the bike, FYI.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Just out of curiosity, was it a constant noise or like a chirping(on/off)?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Recent rear tire change? I had this issue with my Dyna one time, but it squeaked on hard acceleration.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If the problem persists and you verify it is coming from the belt, adjustment is correct and the belt and pulley are clean of excess dust and debris. Try using some HD Poly Oil spread on a few cogs of the belt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you think about the drive belt when under acceleration or constant power, the trans pulley is putting strain on the top half of the belt, as it "pulls" on the rear wheel. Therefore all the slack is transitioned to the bottom half of the belt. Under aggressive deceleration, the opposite is true, the rear wheel is actually applying force to the trans pulley and engine which transfers any slack in the belt to the top half of the belt, which in my experience sometimes leads to a chirp or squeal when the small ridges on the outside of the belt rub on something. I have had it when loaded two up (suspension was sagged more than usual) and downshifting hard setting up for the exit of an upcoming corner. I chased that annoying chirp for months looking at suspension bushings, shock mounts, etc. until I had the bike on a lift and raised the rear end off the table. Once I saw what was happening to the belt with the suspension compressed, I reset the belt tension a bit tighter and have never had a re-occurrence.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think about the drive belt when under acceleration or constant power, the trans pulley is putting strain on the top half of the belt, as it "pulls" on the rear wheel. Therefore all the slack is transitioned to the bottom half of the belt. Under aggressive deceleration, the opposite is true, the rear wheel is actually applying force to the trans pulley and engine which transfers any slack in the belt to the top half of the belt, which in my experience sometimes leads to a chirp or squeal when the small ridges on the outside of the belt rub on something. I have had it when loaded two up (suspension was sagged more than usual) and downshifting hard setting up for the exit of an upcoming corner. I chased that annoying chirp for months looking at suspension bushings, shock mounts, etc. until I had the bike on a lift and raised the rear end off the table. Once I saw what was happening to the belt with the suspension compressed, I reset the belt tension a bit tighter and have never had a re-occurrence.
Thanks! Was there damage or wear to the belt until you adjusted the tension?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the problem persists and you verify it is coming from the belt, adjustment is correct and the belt and pulley are clean of excess dust and debris. Try using some HD Poly Oil spread on a few cogs of the belt.
Thanks! I am on the road one more day, and then get a closer look at the belt tension. I am blasting down I-70 tomorrow, so less chance for this to be a problem.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I was riding the steep curves and hills of the "Tail of the Dragon" I noticed a "Squeak" coming from the area of the belt on the rear wheel. This seems to happen when I down shifted or quickly let off the throttle in the lower gears. It now seems to be happening more. Any thoughts, such as belt tension? I have 22K miles on the bike, FYI.
So, a follow-up from this thread. Since I have the CornerStone ESP, I took my bike in for the "squeak". As a side note, I noticed the "squeak" was almost gone when I returned to Colorado. Maybe the high altitude (6K feet) and 90-octane compared to sea level, 93-octane had something to do with this, maybe not.

Anyways, the dealer said it wasn't the belt or belt tension, but rather my wheel bearings. They have ordered new bearings. I get these installed next week, so more to follow.

So far, so good with CornerStone. I was concerned the dealer might squawk. The service tech seems to originally be confused about a 3rd party ESP.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
So, a follow-up from this thread. Since I have the CornerStone ESP, I took my bike in for the "squeak". As a side note, I noticed the "squeak" was almost gone when I returned to Colorado. Maybe the high altitude (6K feet) and 90-octane compared to sea level, 93-octane had something to do with this, maybe not.

Anyways, the dealer said it wasn't the belt or belt tension, but rather my wheel bearings. They have ordered new bearings. I get these installed next week, so more to follow.

So far, so good with CornerStone. I was concerned the dealer might squawk. The service tech seems to originally be confused about a 3rd party ESP.
I get same squeaking sound sometimes briefly when letting go of throttle at low speeds , usually before motor gets a chance to warm up properly and then it goes away. Had that on and off for a little while and decided to ignore it since bike runs fine and am accustomed to Harleys making noises sometimes lol. Would think if it were the wheel bearings, that sound would be more constant. Anyway,when you get them changed,please give us an update

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As a follow-up to this thread, the service tech "diagnosed" the problem as wheel bearings. All four bearings were replaced. No squeak for the time being, but then the squeak comes and goes. Time will tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts