Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening! Managed to get in a couple hour ride tonight sandwiched between dinner and the start of the Calgary Flames hockey game against the Dallas Stars.

Seeding is well underway to the south and east of Calgary this evening. Lots of big equipment putting it down in the ground and farmers hoping that Mother Nature cooperates this year with timely rains and a late frost.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky
Cloud Sky Land lot Asphalt Atmospheric phenomenon
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Sky Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud

Calgaryglide

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I'm always impressed by the size and power of the field equipment up on the prairie. Farmers driving the size-equivalent of a Cat D-9 or D-11 towering high above the ground. Huge articulated tractors equipped with GPS plotters and more sophisticated than most can comprehend. It's all about speed and time when the ground is right and the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm always impressed by the size and power of the field equipment up on the prairie. Farmers driving the size-equivalent of a Cat D-9 or D-11 towering high above the ground. Huge articulated tractors equipped with GPS plotters and more sophisticated than most can comprehend. It's all about speed and time when the ground is right and the weather cooperates.
If you like watching big and I mean BIG farm equipment check out this local boy from Saskatchewan and his family farm. They run a very large acreage operation in SW Sask (40,000 acres +).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRDywryGtWBmac-O4AReYpA

I'll keep trying to find you all some big equipment working away this spring!

Way way back in my youth I had a chance to buy a farm and start out with the backing of family and a family friend that would mentor me. I regret that I didn't but I probably wouldn't have the family and life that I have now if I had gone in to farming, so in that respect I am grateful for what I have and hold farmers in high regard. Like I have said before, nobody makes a larger bet every year than a farmer.

Calgaryglide

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,720 Posts
Glad you're finally getting out and putting a few miles on. If you had gone into farming, no doubt that some asshole would ride by on a Harley and then stop and take pictures of you. You'd no doubt be jealous, because the biker has time to get out and ride while you're stuck in the cab of that tractor for another 6 hours!

40,000 acres? Down here we call that a "township" in most states.

·
Registered
2020 RGS River Rock Gray
806 Posts
great pics. Probably feeling pretty good about that game last night. I am still trying to recover from my teams 3OT win last night. Go Flames!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great pics. Probably feeling pretty good about that game last night. I am still trying to recover from my teams 3OT win last night. Go Flames!
We cheer for the Penguins in this house too! My wife (Hockey Mom, U18AA Team Manager (even though our kid has been out of hockey 5 years)) thinks that the sun rises and sets on the whim of Sid Crosby!!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you're finally getting out and putting a few miles on. If you had gone into farming, no doubt that some asshole would ride by on a Harley and then stop and take pictures of you. You'd no doubt be jealous, because the biker has time to get out and ride while you're stuck in the cab of that tractor for another 6 hours!

40,000 acres? Down here we call that a "township" in most states.
Hey Uncle, Yeah me too, was driving the wife a little stir crazy!!

A township out here in the west of Canada is 36 square miles. Each square mile is referred to as a "section" Each "section" is 640acres. The sections are further divided into "quarters" of 160 acres. Our grid road system is surveyed out to have a north south road every 1 mile apart when travelling east or west. The east and west roads are every 2 miles apart when travelling north or south. This of course depends on topography, ponds, lakes, duck sloughs create the need for the occasional curve. To compensate for the curvature of the earth (yeah I know some of you still thinks its flat) the east west roads deflect a little bit each mile or 2 miles. As well the north south roads converge slightly to the north. To compensate for this the land is surveyed on baselines 24 miles apart north to south. The sections on the north and south side of that base line are a true 640 acres. As you move north to the "correction line" 12 miles from the baseline, those converging north south roads cause the sections to shrink slightly down to about 632 acres from 640. And vice versa as the sections were surveyed south of the base line. The sections on the north side of a correction line are about 648 acres. All land title deeds for farm land in western Canada will read the following after the acreage statement "more or less".

Too much useless information that you really didn't need to know but as a former land surveyor it was compelled to come out of me.....what can I say.

One last tidbit, an acre is 43560ft². Way back in the 1870-80's when the land was surveyed out here, they used a "chain" as the tape measure. The chain was 66 x 1 foot lengths long. 40 chains to a half mile(2640ft), 80 chains to a mile(5280ft). Each grid road allowance was 1 chain wide, 66 feet. I digress I'm doing it again.

Calgaryglide

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,614 Posts
Troy;

Great pics. And can I just say I am delighted that the Flames won. Ever since the Stars (formerly Minnesota North Stars) ended up in Dallas, I have hated them. I was a North Stars fan growing up in Minnesota. Hockey in Dallas? SMH; what's this world coming to...

Go Calgary!

·
11,720 Posts

A township out here in the west of Canada is 36 square miles. Each square mile is referred to as a "section" Each "section" is 640acres. The sections are further divided into "quarters" of 160 acres. Our grid road system is surveyed out to have a north south road every 1 mile apart when travelling east or west. The east and west roads are every 2 miles apart when travelling north or south. This of course depends on topography, ponds, lakes, duck sloughs create the need for the occasional curve. To compensate for the curvature of the earth (yeah I know some of you still thinks its flat) the east west roads deflect a little bit each mile or 2 miles. As well the north south roads converge slightly to the north. To compensate for this the land is surveyed on baselines 24 miles apart north to south. The sections on the north and south side of that base line are a true 640 acres. As you move north to the "correction line" 12 miles from the baseline, those converging north south roads cause the sections to shrink slightly down to about 632 acres from 640. And vice versa as the sections were surveyed south of the base line. The sections on the north side of a correction line are about 648 acres. All land title deeds for farm land in western Canada will read the following after the acreage statement "more or less".

Too much useless information that you really didn't need to know but as a former land surveyor it was compelled to come out of me.....what can I say.

One last tidbit, an acre is 43560ft². Way back in the 1870-80's when the land was surveyed out here, they used a "chain" as the tape measure. The chain was 66 x 1 foot lengths long. 40 chains to a half mile(2640ft), 80 chains to a mile(5280ft). Each grid road allowance was 1 chain wide, 66 feet. I digress I'm doing it again.

Calgaryglide
I have nothing but respect for anyone that can spew out that much information .... knowing full well that 99.9% of the potential readers won't understand it, and could care less ... but so loves all of that 'stuff' himself .... that he pushes on through fueled by his passion!

Well done Troy. I can hear your wife screaming in silence right now!

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
2,111 Posts

Calgaryglide
As I am reading this I am thinking, as a good ole Sask boy, I know the gist of this but this is so detailed (I wonder how much he googled 🤣 ) then when you said you were a surveyor it all made sense lol.
Fun fact: there are more people from Saskatchewan living in Calgary than living is Saskatchewan 😂

·
11,720 Posts
If you like watching big and I mean BIG farm equipment check out this local boy from Saskatchewan and his family farm. They run a very large acreage operation in SW Sask (40,000 acres +).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRDywryGtWBmac-O4AReYpA

I'll keep trying to find you all some big equipment working away this spring!

Way way back in my youth I had a chance to buy a farm and start out with the backing of family and a family friend that would mentor me. I regret that I didn't but I probably wouldn't have the family and life that I have now if I had gone in to farming, so in that respect I am grateful for what I have and hold farmers in high regard. Like I have said before, nobody makes a larger bet every year than a farmer.

Calgaryglide
I finally had a chance to go back and watch the video, in fact, I watched 3 of his videos. He does a nice job, seems very personable. All I've got to say is, "It's a long damn way from my grandfather's Model 9N!" I'm always amazed at the scale and technology of today's 'big farm' equipment. 84' wide drill/seed rig - that's nuts! Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it.

·
11,720 Posts
If they're anything like our farmers here, they'll meet up at an early breakfast place at least one morning a week. They park their $90k dualie diesel pick-ups, and walk inside and immediately start to complain how the Government needs to give them higher subsidies because times are tough. The conversations never seem to change much.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today's crop tour, sorry no pictures just a map. Seeding seems to be just about complete. Only a couple guys still putting in the last of their cereal crops. Big equipment working for sure. Several areas where the crop is already up and looking good. Been getting some nice spring rains here as well, supposed to get a little bit more this week too.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: Ike Burns

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Little crop tour tonight on the new hot rod RG out to the N.E. of Calgary toward where Wile E Coyote sources his Dynamite and Anvils.

Crops coming along nicely, most seem to be in the snap, crackle, pop stage where they are emerging from the ground. We've had some timely rains here lately and expect some warmth over the next few days so they should be growing quite nicely for the next few weeks! And of course what crop tour wouldn't be complete without a stop at a small town independent walkup/drive thru burger and ice cream joint. Watching my svelte figure so I only ordered a small dipped cone (you'll have to take my word on that one).

Sky Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel

Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Vehicle
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this your new bike? Or just taking it for a spin?
New to me! 2016 FLTRX in Hard Candy Black Gold. Its sort of a greenish black gold fleck (think bass boat!). I really wanted a 2019 C7 Corvette in the 7sp manual. I just couldn't justify the cash outlay for a 4 wheel toy that would sit for 6 months or more of the year and take up the same space as the 3 bikes put together. I found this one out in Vancouver at Trev Deeley last fall, heckled over the price and had it shipped to me during the winter all crated up. I'll go the Corvette route once they're electrified and I no longer can ride on two wheels for great distances.

So Tygger becomes the "station wagon" of touring bikes and the Hard Candy Black Gold is my "2 door coupe" version. The old Road King is still around too for teaching on weekends and evenings.

Calgaryglide

1 - 20 of 52 Posts