Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of these two systems? I no nothing on audio other than I am unhappy with what the factory provided. My wife complains it is too washed out when loud.

Speaker Upgrades

Looking at the Focal System.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What about this config?

Summary
Description Quantity Price
Choose Your Motorcycle
Road Glide 1 $0.00
Choose Your Road Glide
2014-2018 Road Glide 1 $0.00
Pick your existing options
King Tour Pack w/ Pods? 1 $0.00

Choose Your Front Fairing Speaker Series
Soundz Carbon Series 1 $799.00

2014+ Radio Replacement Options
Sony XAV-AX100 1 $550.00

Would you like to purchase speaker lids?
Iron Series 6x9 1 $1,100.00

King Tour Pack
Soundz Carbon Series - Suggested 1 $799.00

Choose your Amplifier
Soundz SC4.100 1 $749.99

Improve your Sound Quality
Rockford Fosgate DSR1 1 $499.99

Shipping
Flat Rate Shipping 1 $25.00
Total : $4,522.98

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm gonna get bitch slapped saying this, but here goes. I have a biketronics set up with hertz sv165 in the lowers that I purchased just for the speakers, all toll more than $1,500 in the system. It is very loud but lacks bass and depth. I have been to a couple of bike nights, the only good system I have heard was in an SG with 2, 8" subs in the bags and three amps, pretty much useless storage.. This was still crappy compared to a mid range set up in a car. Without a structure around you low frequency sound just goes away. I did not ride this guys bike, but I would assume at speed the lower mids and bass just goes away. I bought a $27 set of Anker Bluetooth ear buds and they sound better than any motorcycle system I have heard. Unless you want other people to hear your music, ear buds are the way to go. There is some safety concerns with wearing ear buds, so I will need to be vigilant when using them. If I had to do it all over again I would invest in quality Bluetooth ear buds and save $1,300. Now with the "you never heard my system" comments, let the crucifixion begin. I know this did not help to answer your question, I'm just putting it out there as a financial statement.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
True but not everyone can wear ear buds very long . I'm one who after a 1/2 hour or so my ear gets sore.
As to the OP. I look to at least 500 watt amp. Maybe more if you're running 4 speakers. Like woody said you lose lows and high fidelity going down the road. If you can hook up a system. I'd piece mail a system together . you can do better than those kits. JMO

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm gonna get bitch slapped saying this, but here goes. I have a biketronics set up with hertz sv165 in the lowers that I purchased just for the speakers, all toll more than $1,500 in the system. It is very loud but lacks bass and depth. I have been to a couple of bike nights, the only good system I have heard was in an SG with 2, 8" subs in the bags and three amps, pretty much useless storage.. This was still crappy compared to a mid range set up in a car. Without a structure around you low frequency sound just goes away. I did not ride this guys bike, but I would assume at speed the lower mids and bass just goes away. I bought a $27 set of Anker Bluetooth ear buds and they sound better than any motorcycle system I have heard. Unless you want other people to hear your music, ear buds are the way to go. There is some safety concerns with wearing ear buds, so I will need to be vigilant when using them. If I had to do it all over again I would invest in quality Bluetooth ear buds and save $1,300. Now with the "you never heard my system" comments, let the crucifixion begin. I know this did not help to answer your question, I'm just putting it out there as a financial statement.
Interesting. Can You link the Bluetooth buds to the HD infotainment or do You have pair them with a phone or Ipod? How do You control volume and track selection, etc.?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Interesting. Can You link the Bluetooth buds to the HD infotainment or do You have pair them with a phone or Ipod? How do You control volume and track selection, etc.?
I just do it on my phone. I don't have a lot of love for the infotainment system, it basically serves as a digital oil pressure gauge for me. I am sure the functionality is more advanced on the head unit, my comment was strictly on sound quality, ear buds vs open air speakers. I also understand the comfort level as well. I am reading tons of reviews trying to decide on the best sounding and most comfortable ear buds. The OP second set up sounds like it would be nice, but for $4,500 it seems quite pricey, but my bank account is likely very different.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
True but not everyone can wear ear buds very long . I'm one who after a 1/2 hour or so my ear gets sore.
As to the OP. I look to at least 500 watt amp. Maybe more if you're running 4 speakers. Like woody said you lose lows and high fidelity going down the road. If you can hook up a system. I'd piece mail a system together . you can do better than those kits. JMO
Like Gary said I to can't do buds for long and I like having the sound outside. It's like having a moving concert, sure it doesn't have the bass that you have in a car but to my ear it still sounds good and loud.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Holy crap, there isn't any way that I'd pay $4500 for a bike audio system. If your thing is parking lot competitions that's one thing, but for a serviceable system that just sounds loud and clear running down the road you could do better and not spend anywhere near that kind of money.

·
Registered
413 Posts
After chatting with you last month I got the biketronics kit. I pre-wired the lowers but decided it sounded good enough with just the 2 speakers. It's clear enough on the highway without distorting. Like you said you'll never get any bass so I'd rather kept the glove boxes in the lowers. However, I am real curious to hear your Hertz 165's to see the difference.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you're looking for a high end system here's a proposed parts list;

AMP
ARC Audio Moto 600.4
https://www.arcaudio.com/store?p=90850
$649.00

Fairing Speakers
ARC Audio Moto 602 V2
https://www.arcaudio.com/store?p=97183
$379.00
(Link is to the Coax version but you could also go component which would be even better if you want to mess with the separate tweeter and crossover installation)

Line Out Converter (need 2 to run 4 speaker setup)
Biketronics BT355
BT355 HD Radio Line Leveler And Pre-Amp Adapter for 2014 and Up - Biketronics Inc
$79.95 x2
(Call Bill at BT and mention you're a member here and he should slide you a discount)

Bag Speakers or Lowers
Personally I think that both you and your passenger are better served when actually riding, by installing speakers #3 and #4 into Lowers than you are into Bag Lids, but that's just IMHO.

Parts and pieces to install the whole thing;

Plug and Play harness makes it easier if you don't want to hack your factory wiring
Some extra speaker wire just in case
Positive power wire
Negative power wire
40A Fuse block
AMP mount (if you want to be all fancy) but there are backyard riggin' methods that work as well
You should be able to put all those together for less than $125

Without figuring in Bag Lids or Lowers or the 2nd set of speakers you're at $1312.90 using MSRP. Lowers, bag lids plus 2nd set of speakers you should be able to do for $800 give or take. That puts you at a total of $2100 to $2200 and you have a top shelve totally rockin' and perfectly functional audio system that retains all of the function of your Harley head unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the short answer is no...no...no...no

for that kind of money, you can have a competition quality sound system. for considerable less, you can have an outstanding system that is relatively easy to install. i have around $1600 in mine, sounds great at speed (nothing has deep bass at 80 mph-physics), and still have all the bag and lower storage. included: amp, front component speakers (Digital Designs AW6/AT28), bag lid speakers (DD VO6x9), and line leveler.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. The audio side just confuses me something terrible. Bluetooth earbuds it is. I have a great set but was looking to replicate the sound without having to remember to charge and take along. Wife will have to get her own. :)

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
435 Posts
After chatting with you last month I got the biketronics kit. I pre-wired the lowers but decided it sounded good enough with just the 2 speakers. It's clear enough on the highway without distorting. Like you said you'll never get any bass so I'd rather kept the glove boxes in the lowers. However, I am real curious to hear your Hertz 165's to see the difference.
It's really no better sounding it just has a 2 more speakers to get louder. Forgot to check where you live if your in the area this season pm me. I would put a video up but I am technically challenged and the audio really wouldn't tell you much.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got the ARC 602 speakers and they're wanting more power than the Fosgate PBR 300 amp is giving them. I've been calculating numbers (price) on the DIAMOND 4V2 (600W) amp and may be my next upgrade, however,

For maximum performance, shouldn't the speaker RMS equal about half of the supplied watts? If so, if you BRIDGE that Diamond amp, it will be 300 watts going to the two front 90 RMS (160W) speakers? Same for the two rear speakers. And then you'll have the fader just not balance?
And correct me if I'm wrong, If you wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, that will now be a 2 ohm load?

Should I go with the OP and look at the SoundZ, Focal, or ARC amps, pay the money and don't bridge? I'm holding on to the the stock radio as long as I can. I am happy with my system and happy with a couple hundos in my pocket, I just want to feed them 602's a little more. Another good reason to like the Diamond amp is the Bluetooth receiver they sell ($119) that plugs into it. Anyone have one of them?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I got the ARC 602 speakers and they're wanting more power than the Fosgate PBR 300 amp is giving them. I've been calculating numbers (price) on the DIAMOND 4V2 (600W) amp

To be clear, do you have four of the 602s or only two of them?

The 4V2 works very well bridged to two of those speakers, but I wouldn’t even consider it for running four of them. My rule of thumb with the 602 is they sound good at 150, really good at 175 and great at 200 and I wouldn’t push them past that. They’re a low sensitivity speaker so they need the power to really hum.

If you need to push 4 of them you’re looking at the new Focal, arc 600.4, or the BT 4180 or something similar to adequately power all 4 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

for that kind of money, you can have a competition quality sound system. for considerable less, you can have an outstanding system that is relatively easy to install. i have around $1600 in mine, sounds great at speed (nothing has deep bass at 80 mph-physics), and still have all the bag and lower storage. included: amp, front component speakers (Digital Designs AW6/AT28), bag lid speakers (DD VO6x9), and line leveler.
This is a great answer. Did you get your stuff from Alex?
DD is top tier stuff. Proven setup.

I have the Arc 602 up front, they love power and Im giving them about 140 but its still a little light. 200W is what they thrive on.
Lids have been debated almost as much as what oil. Coming back from Georgia last year I had a connection come loose on the amp for my lid speakers, no sound from them. I could absolutely tell they were not working, even at interstate speed. My take on it is that if you can't hear your lid speakers you don't have enough power going to them. Not going to get trunk rattling bass at interstate speed but you will surely hear them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
To be clear, do you have four of the 602s or only two of them?

The 4V2 works very well bridged to two of those speakers, but I wouldn’t even consider it for running four of them. My rule of thumb with the 602 is they sound good at 150, really good at 175 and great at 200 and I wouldn’t push them past that. They’re a low sensitivity speaker so they need the power to really hum.

If you need to push 4 of them you’re looking at the new Focal, arc 600.4, or the BT 4180 or something similar to adequately power all 4 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That BT 4180 sure has got the numbers, but damn it's double the dollars. I got HERTZ in the rear now but gonna replace with 602'S. Just what I wanted/didn't want to hear! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a great answer. Did you get your stuff from Alex?
DD is top tier stuff. Proven setup.

I have the Arc 602 up front, they love power and Im giving them about 140 but its still a little light. 200W is what they thrive on.
Lids have been debated almost as much as what oil. Coming back from Georgia last year I had a connection come loose on the amp for my lid speakers, no sound from them. I could absolutely tell they were not working, even at interstate speed. My take on it is that if you can't hear your lid speakers you don't have enough power going to them. Not going to get trunk rattling bass at interstate speed but you will surely hear them.
yes, i got my stuff from Alex

And yes, I agree with your comments here as well. The rear is not a strong presence at speed, but if I turn my head I can hear them, while wearing a 3/4 helmet.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Have been looking pretty hard at that same set up. Are you REALLY happy with the AW6/AT28 front stage? Have you had any other set up to compare it to?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have been looking pretty hard at that same set up. Are you REALLY happy with the AW6/AT28 front stage? Have you had any other set up to compare it to?

Thanks
the only other set up i have owned was a hog tunes speaker/amp/tweeter pod on my older street glide. not to knock hog tunes, but this set up is waaaay better.

am i REALLY happy, absolutely. the range of the sound and the clarity at volume is awesome and they will get really loud.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts