Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into road 6 standard apes in 11” or 13”

I had the opportunity to sit a few Road glides with apes at the dealer, including a personal bike of an employee.

Stock bars are 8”, Road Glide ultra are 10”, he has the factory 12” apes on his road glide, but he had them rolled forward and they felt a little tall.

The ultra bars felt good but were just a little lacking for me.

My question is this how much difference does rolling the bars forward of the forks make?

I am 6’3” 255lb with a Lepera Maverick DLL

Based on my observations should I go with the 11” or the 13” if I keep them aligned with the forks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Looking into road 6 standard apes in 11” or 13”

My question is this how much difference does rolling the bars forward of the forks make?
I put on the Road 6 Customs Holey Rollers last year (13"). I rolled mine back 2 different times to get the position that I felt comfortable with. Rolled forward, my back would be arched with a long reach to the bars as my Mustang seat sits me further back than stock. The difference in comfort was huge. The alignment of my bars now match the angle of the down tubes.

What size and how much rolling back or rolling forward works for you will depend upon your reach (arm length), torso size, and comfort. Most people 6'3" go taller than 11 or 13", but I'm a shorty (in comparison anyway) at only 5'11". I almost wish I had gone up to a 14".

·
Registered
20 Posts
in my experience, I've found that if you're looking at 2 different size options, going with the taller options is usually the right choice. I've heard of many people putting on the shorter bars only to say they wished they'd gone with the taller option. I'm 6'3 as well and 16" is what I've opted to go with, I had that on my old ultra classic and I just can't seem to get used to the 10" bars on the new RGU, even rolled forward they feel too short for me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m looking to have my hands even with my armpits not really hanging from the bars

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi texasnurse; what model year is it? I know a lot of riders prefer the tall 16" bars albeit cool it might not work well. Some people forget to consider the overall width and end-rise, and pull-back of the bars. While seated you should be able to make a full turn to locking position with both hands on the grips.

As you have mentioned, you prefer straight arms rather than hanging from the bars. I am 6,4" and have tried both 12" and 11" but eventually chose a 9" (RSD Glider Dresser bars) due to reach. I also like the fact that these bars are bent similar to the stock bars.

I might sound like Captain Obvious here :) but try before you buy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what model year is it? I know a lot of riders prefer the tall 16" bars albeit cool it might not work well. Some people forget to consider the overall width and end-rise, and pull-back of the bars.

Bike is a 2018 Road Glide Special
Looking at the road 6 standard apes:specs for the 13” are 33” 6.5” pullback

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Bike is a 2018 Road Glide Special
Looking at the road 6 standard apes:specs for the 13” are 33” 6.5” pullback and 11” 31” 6.5” pullback

Okay, of the two I would recommend the 11". I personally would not go for anything above an end-rise of 12". IMHO

Hats off to a nurse. I like to say that a hospital could work with just one doctor but not with just one nurse! ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, of the two I would recommend the 11". I personally would not go for anything above an end-rise of 12". IMHO

Hats off to a nurse. I like to say that a hospital could work with just one doctor but not with just one nurse! ;)

That’s the way I’m leaning, a 13” inline with forks would probably be too close. A 12” tilted forward was too high for me, a 13” forward would definitely be too high.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm 6'. I run a Corbin Dual Tour seat and 11" Road 6 Standard Apes in line with the forks. I'm comfortable with that setup.
Call Road 6 Customs, they're knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Road 6 Customs Standard Apes 11" in line with forks. I'm 5'7" and have the Le Pera Maverick on a 17 RGS. My hands end up about chest high. I found in trying different positions that these do not pull back well. In line or slightly forward worked better. For me, pulling them back messes up the wrist angle and unless you want to grind the nipple off the inside of the brake and clutch clam shells, the levers and mirrors wont adjust well either. With the smooth bends they were relatively easy to wire myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the 11" and like them, they are set inline with the forks and are just at the top of the fairing. I wanted to keep them under if possible for the wind protection and they are perfect for that. Now, I am only 6' and you are 6'3" so you if you don't care about going above the fairing, the 13" would probably be better for you.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Here's some pictures. It turns out mine are pulled back from the fork line. I'm 6'. I think that 11s would work for you at 6'3". You could run them slightly pushed forward if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just installed 13" standard apes. So for the wrist angle is much better for me then stock RGU 11.75" Bars. I have them in line with forks and its perfect for me (5'11"). I also have a Mustang seat which sits me back about 1.5" and down about 1.5".

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
At 6'3", I surprised you're looking at 11 or 13. I've run 16" bars on both of my Road Glides and they're very comfortable. Rolled slightly forward of in line with the forks puts them right at shoulder height and I'm just 6'2".

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At 6'3", I surprised you're looking at 11 or 13. I've run 16" bars on both of my Road Glides and they're very comfortable. Rolled slightly forward of in line with the forks puts them right at shoulder height and I'm just 6'2".

I am tall, but mostly in my legs 34” dress inseam but wear 36” inseam jeans.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Makes sense. My jeans are 34”, my dress inseam is 32 at best :) Best of luck with your decision and install!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but figured the OP was pretty much set on the 11s.

TN - Based on anecdotal evidence, I've observed that many people who opt for a shorter bar soon find themselves wishing they had gone with a taller bar - and this seems even more prevalent for those of us that aren't vertically challenged :)

At your height I wouldn't hesitate on the 13" or even 15" Road6 Standard Ape. In fact originally Road6 only offered their Standard Apes in 11" and 13" versions, but have since included a 15" offering due to customer demand. I just hate to see you go through the work of installing the 11s and ride for a bit and then say to yourself "I wish I would have gotten taller bars".

I speak from experience..............................

My last two bars were 16" tall and they were a lot more comfortable than the 13" bars I had previously. I'm only 6' 1" with a 34" inseam for reference.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but figured the OP was pretty much set on the 11s.

TN - Based on anecdotal evidence, I've observed that many people who opt for a shorter bar soon find themselves wishing they had gone with a taller bar - and this seems even more prevalent for those of us that aren't vertically challenged :)

At your height I wouldn't hesitate on the 13" or even 15" Road6 Standard Ape. In fact originally Road6 only offered their Standard Apes in 11" and 13" versions, but have since included a 15" offering due to customer demand. I just hate to see you go through the work of installing the 11s and ride for a bit and then say to yourself "I wish I would have gotten taller bars".

I speak from experience..............................

My last two bars were 16" tall and they were a lot more comfortable than the 13" bars I had previously. I'm only 6' 1" with a 34" inseam for reference.
I agree with wevsspot here. Don't mean to complicate your decision, but I've seen it way too many times after a bar install, people wishing they'd gone a little taller. At your height I'd say 13" minimum, probably 15" would be about right. Again, best of luck with your decision.

Cheers. -Jay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts