Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through all the threads I could find on the subject. Quick question: If you use the John Deere Blitz Black, is it just spray and done or is there a clear on top of it?

My 15 RG is getting new bags and fender. Also, the red pinstripe, is the color hard to match on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I kept my tour pak & lowers off of my 02 FLHT when I traded it for my denim black '15 RG. No pinstripes on my bike but I bought a quart of the JD Blitz Black & painted the pak & lowers. Its not a perfect match, but it is real damn close. Even the guys at the dealerships said they couldn't tell the difference. I didn't use a hardener. Just the paint & JD thinner. I had to lay the paint on kinda heavy, & did 3 coats to get it to where it is.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a vivd black tour pack from my old bike. I repainted it with the JD paint in spray cans. Did 3 coats and I can't tell the difference in the color when it's on the bike. It's been about a year and still looks the same.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Clear Coat

I recommend putting a clear coat over it. You can get either flat or satin and it will protect it for the life of the paint. I don't know if it is available in rattle can though. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
987 Posts
The Blitz Black is really really tough paint. I would do a test panel of some sort with the clear if you decide to go with it, in case it doesn't look right, you don't want to spray your parts & then find out it doesn't match worth the crap. I saw a bike at the local dealer that must've just gotten some service work done on it. It was a denim black street glide & the guy had an aftermarket stretched bags & fender on it. The paint, or should I say the attempt at the paint match to the stock denim was awful. Not even close. I just thought to myself, I hope he didn't pay for that paint job. If it was mine, I would've been pissed at the way that turned out.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did touch up on my bag latches and a scrape on the bottom of the bags. Can't really tell on the latches, and the only reason you can tell on the bag bottom is because you can see a slight contrast where the BB was but directly on the denim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts