Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used Oil Analysis , I am anal about my oil , I get an analysis done usually every oil change

this last one is Redline 20w60 at just over 6300 miles

JtB

·
Registered
296 Posts
I another Redline all the time guy, I generally don't change the engine oil for 5000 miles or so, sometimes 6000. That's a great bit of information you are sharing with us there. I once read a very well done comparison of synthetic oils done by someone on the HDForums Sportster page and Redline came out very favorable. I've been using it ever since. Thanks for the confirmation that it was the right choice.

Scoop:D

·
Administrator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for what its worth the first analysis dated 08/16 is Syn3 and the one dated 03/10 is Valvoline VR1 20-50 , I didn't have one done between it and the Redline

The Syn3 did very well and the Valvoline was breaking down a little bit

JtB

·
Registered
932 Posts
Jack, Jack, Jack.....Buddy, As an Amsoil Dealer I can assure you If that had been compared to Amsoil MCV 20w-50, Amsoil's numbers would have looked even better. Let me know If I can send you some of my cards. ;-)

Nevadasun & DesertShark

·
Administrator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take no offense Nevada , but a dear friend is one of the early Amsoil distributors and has done quite well with it over the decades , aside from his military retirement ..

He always tells me that every oil I use is so much junk , and most ( not all ) Amsoil distributors I have run into over the years are saying the same thing ..

I don't care for the way that it is marketed .. I think that approach turns away many potential customers , me for one ..

JtB

·
Administrator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blackstone charges $25 for analysis and $35 for analysis plus TBN ( to determine how much life is left in the oil )

fire off an email to the address at the bottom of my sample page and they will send you a couple bottles and info on how to do it ( as if a airplane guy don't know ) ..

I mailed it last Friday and they emailed my results yesterday

also the website has lots a info

JtB

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Our petroleum-based engine oil here is Spectro, and has been for probably over 15 years if I recall.
Oddly enough, S&S's private label oil is now manufactured/bottled by Spectro.
The ONLY synthetics we carry, and again for around 15 years, is Red Line lubricants.:)
Scott

·
Registered
853 Posts
Blackstone charges $25 for analysis and $35 for analysis plus TBN ( to determine how much life is left in the oil )

fire off an email to the address at the bottom of my sample page and they will send you a couple bottles and info on how to do it ( as if a airplane guy don't know ) ..

I mailed it last Friday and they emailed my results yesterday

also the website has lots a info

JtB
Thanks Jack, yeah, I can't get our engine engineers to let me bring in a sample of my oil.....says it would scare tha beejeesus outa their machines!!!:D:D:D

(JK)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Used Oil Analysis , I am anal about my oil , I get an analysis done usually every oil change

this last one is Redline 20w60 at just over 6300 miles

JtB
Hey Jack, just curious, why 20w60 rather than 20w50? I'm up for an oil change in about a week, need to decide between the 2. Local Cycle gear sells both for $13 or so a quart.

·
Administrator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thinketh in my unscientific analysis that the 60 quiets it down a bit more than the 50 ..

I ran it ( 20w-60 ) thru the winter here , if ya can call what we have here winter , no issues , but I always idle a couple minutes on cold starts anyways

JtB

·
Registered
29 Posts
redline oil

I'm having other issues with my 05 RG - but my cam chain tensioners

at 32,000 miles look like brand new - the mechanic and service manager

said "you changed the tensioners?"- nope - redline 20/60 hd every

2500 miles - i'm thinking of writing a note to Tim Carrigan (owns Redline)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I thinketh in my unscientific analysis that the 60 quiets it down a bit more than the 50 ..

I ran it ( 20w-60 ) thru the winter here , if ya can call what we have here winter , no issues , but I always idle a couple minutes on cold starts anyways

JtB
You think it runs any cooler with 60 than 50 or too close to tell?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts