Road Glide banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lost my 200 word introduction. I hate browsers. Retyped, ad-libed and saved in Outlook. Here's my Intro. I am also on 2 other Harley forums since about 2011 or 2012.

On 12/2 I bought a 2016 FLTRU with 9,500 miles. They delivered her 12/7. ( I hope that’s not a bad omen) Before giving them a check I took her out for a 5 mile test ride. They had offered a test ride on 12/2, but I declined. It stopped, went and shifted and the gauges worked, so all was good. I hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd but blew off 3rd at 80 mph in the dark. That’s me, a chicken shit. 12/8, I got her out again at 40 deg F (I’m in Northern Indiana) for a 30 mile round trip on the E-Way. Passed some semi’s effortlessly and without turbulence. It handles great and practically reads my mind thru curves. I am coming off a 2002 Road King Classic that I bought in 2012 and have put almost 55,000 miles on. In my little time on the RG I can go as fast thru local curves as I can with the RK. Perhaps even more effortlessly. Plus I took it easy in the dark on an unfamiliar bike, with cold (but broke in) tires on cold roads.

I had wanted ABS & GPS. I basically quit riding after dark in one area due to deer. In the last 4 years I have hit 2 with my truck (its Chevy, it’s fine). I was thinking 2012 or whatever 1st year or 2 with ABS and low cost, but…. I saw the RG, sat on it, fits great (I’m 6’3) and I swear it’s the exact same color as my RK, which I love, so I bought it. Then I got to reading on Forums about project Rushmore & Road Glides in particular. Bigger forks, 103”, linked brakes, great fairing and all that jazz. I also gained locking, color matched luggage, tubeless wheels/tires, BOOM 6.5 and twin LED headlight, plus 6th gear and more motor. No more replacing the cheap ass speakers/amp on the RK every other year. Don’t need a handle bar mount for my Phone to do GPS either. I still have the King (love it and tons of memories) and for now I’m calling them The “Red Road Twins”. (I’m a twin myself). Probably in the spring or summer I’ll sell the one I ride the least L.

I felt I lucked into a good year with the 2002. Delphi FI and Timken bearings etc. Same way with this one, 2016 seems to be a good year. Easy opening bags and whether real or not I don’t have to worry about M8 sumping issues. My major concern is going to be speeding tickets. The 103 is AWESOME compared to the 88 (with cams) . The brakes scrub speed very firmly but gently. It’s gonna be a long off season, I won’t take a bike out when there’s salt on the roads, but I hope I saved some coin buying now. Plus I have all winter to learn the BOOM and store addresses into it. Right now I’m thinking my first and maybe only upgrade will be the extra rear lights for between the fender and saddle bags.

At my age this could be the last bike I buy. I’ve had the RK 7 years and if it had ABS I wouldn’t be here posting this. Planning ahead I see this as my going into retirement and traveling bike. Lots to look forward to, but one day at a time for now.
Welcome, saw the last picture, if you ride it, you’ll buy it. I traded 16 CVO RG Ultra in on my 20, the new one is awesome

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Texas and enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Let's see its twin RK! Welcome from Canada.
Some sunny weekend I'll roll the twins outside for pics and post them.

Thanks all for the Welcome and Congrats messages.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio. Congrats on the new bike.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The Glide.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts