Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. After my exhaust purchase and monkey bar purchase. I didn't leave a hole lot for my stereo. Would you guys make a sacrifice with your amp or speakers.

I was planning in running 4 focal pc165 in my fairing and a arc mini. But sense fundings are low I either have to skimp and choose focal ic165's and go with the good amp or vice versa and get the nice speakers "pc165" and a cheap amp. I'm a stereo idiot so what's the lessor of two evils is there other great amp choices out there I'm missing

I will also add that I don't plan on doing any speaker lids or anything. I'll only be running 4 in the fairing. So 300-400 watts should be all I need correct ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm willing to bet my breakfast that you're going to get a LOT of "wait" replies. Why install a great amp with lesser speakers? Why Install great speakers and drive them with a lesser amp?

You say funds are low, what is your budget?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hey guys. After my exhaust purchase and monkey bar purchase. I didn't leave a hole lot for my stereo. Would you guys make a sacrifice with your amp or speakers.

I was planning in running 4 focal pc165 in my fairing and a arc mini. But sense fundings are low I either have to skimp and choose focal ic165's and go with the good amp or vice versa and get the nice speakers "pc165" and a cheap amp. I'm a stereo idiot so what's the lessor of two evils is there other great amp choices out there I'm missing

I will also add that I don't plan on doing any speaker lids or anything. I'll only be running 4 in the fairing. So 300-400 watts should be all I need correct ?
Grab up a Sounstream PN4.520 ($115 shipped) and still go with your pc165s. Looking at these your budget cant be to low, the speakers themselves go for 350/pr.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I agree with Venomized about the amp, but I say still save more and go with 2 pair of Infinity Kappa 62.11 (they can be had for around $125 a pair if you shop around like Amazon), they are very close to the Focal PC in sound and better quality, (I say this because I have both), under $400 and you'll have a nice system.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. If I stay with stock head unit for now I would say $ 700-800 is my budget.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If I stay with stock head unit for now I would say $ 700-800 is my budget.
Go with the amp I suggested and the Infinitys dbell suggested. I have the 62.9i(predecessors to the 62.11i) and they are loud and clear and give great depth to the music.

·
Registered
264 Posts
$700-800? Man you can have a system that straight ROCKS!!! Here's what I would suggest, like I have on a few other threads....

Soundstream TN4.900D Amp....$200
Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9 for bags (2 pairs @ $70 a pair)....$140-150
Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5 for fairing (1 pair)...$120-140

That comes to about $500-600 for all of the parts. If you want to add a little more highs, you can replace your gauges with two tweeters like I did. If you add a pair of plug and play waterproof tweeters, then add about $120 to the price. That still leaves you about $200 for amp wiring and getting 6x9s mounted in the bag, adapter rings for the 6.5s and a few other necessities. The key to this system is the amp itself.

If you want to get creative with the amps and have each speaker on a dedicated channel, consider the Soundstream PN4.520 ($100) and a PBR 300.2 (about $150). that will allow you to run all of your speakers on their own channel with the minimum channel getting 100 watts RMS. If you decide to go with the two amp setup, run the soundstream to the pioneers and the infinity kappas to the PBR.

This should be enough to make you more than happy and still be close to your $800 ceiling.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The problem I come into is I don't know anything about audio. I was going to run 4 coaxial speakers in the fairing. Sounds like you most of you guys run a combination of component and coaxial speakers. So that's where I have to do my research. Would I be shorting myself by just doing 4 pc165 or equal performance coaxial speakers in my fairing. I planned on running the new alpine 149bt head unit. Put it this way. With all this shit. I will probly need someone to draw me up a wiring diagram :(.

I figured 4 channel amp
4 hi quality coaxial speakers on there own separate channels.
Hi quality head unit.

That should be a incredible improvement over stock

I'll look up the sound stream amp and kappa speakers tonight.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The problem I come into is I don't know anything about audio. I was going to run 4 coaxial speakers in the fairing. Sounds like you most of you guys run a combination of component and coaxial speakers. So that's where I have to do my research. Would I be shorting myself by just doing 4 pc165 or equal performance coaxial speakers in my fairing. I planned on running the new alpine 149bt head unit. Put it this way. With all this shit. I will probly need someone to draw me up a wiring diagram :(.

I figured 4 channel amp
4 hi quality coaxial speakers on there own separate channels.
Hi quality head unit.

That should be a incredible improvement over stock

I'll look up the sound stream amp and kappa speakers tonight.
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff, but once you have the pieces in front of you, it makes WAY more sense. After I got my stuff installed, the questions I asked before seemed foolish now.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Curt. I've been researching this also. Dbell has pretty much got my mind made up as far as the Kappas go. Just remember they are 2.7ohm compared to the Focals which I believe are 4ohm so you'll wanna match up your ohms on your amp to the ohms on your speakers.

Definitely look into the soundstream Picasso amps and infinity speakers. From what I hear, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will there be a big difference performance with the 2ohm setup vs the 4 ohm

·
Registered
264 Posts
Curt. I've been researching this also. Dbell has pretty much got my mind made up as far as the Kappas go. Just remember they are 2.7ohm compared to the Focals which I believe are 4ohm so you'll wanna match up your ohms on your amp to the ohms on your speakers.

Definitely look into the soundstream Picasso amps and infinity speakers. From what I hear, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Soundstream is stable down to 2 ohms so it will handle and push enough power for just about any speaker you can think of. Also, I would shy away from components because with the separate tweeter, it leaves the opportunity for it to come loose if you have it mounted in with its respective speaker. And it seems that the op is hell bent on the focals. I can't blame him for wanting to buy the best available for these bikes, but to me it's overkill. The key to the successful stereo system is the quality of the amp and head unit. If those two are good, then you can get by with a mid level speaker (such as the infinity) and still be more than happy. Unless you looking to win some sound competition at the local bike nites, I wouldn't spend that kind of dough on speakers for my bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No, 2 ohm just allows you to push more power to the speakers. But the amp that will be required to push 2 ohms speakers to their max will cost more than what you will want to spend in an economical sense. Unless you are building a competition bike, I wouldnt obsess with the difference between 2 or 4 ohm.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's starting to make sense. You guys have given excellent advise. Thank you very much. As a couple have posted. I'm def not trying to win any competitions. Due to working construction I need something that will be loud and clear because I can't here worth a shit :( and I'm only 28. Pretty sad. I'll take your guys word on speakers. Coaxials sound like they will work just fine and I think I will be going with the Infiniti kappas, and sound stream amp. Thanks for all your .02 cents. My piggy bank is almost full now :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Curt...whoever said "wait" is a smart man. Like I said in my "Lessons Learned" thread, get educated on what you're buying-save your $$-then, get the stereo YOU always wanted. It beats the hell out of being underwhelmed AFTER you've spent your hard earned $$. Since you said you don't know a lot about stereos. Go to an installer who knows his sh*t. That's my .02

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yea I'm going to keep doing research. Looking at cam charts that show lift and duration make more sense then stereo spec sheets. But I'm slowly getting there. I've been thinking long and hard about the speakers and coast of the system. And sense I'm not building a system to battle every other system out there I think I can build a great sounding system for less then I think. Who knows it only took me two years and 15,000 miles to finally decide on dragos exhaust. I hope it don't take that long to figure out a dam stereo :(

A plus is I'm set on the head unit so I'll order that and let it set all lonely tell rest shows up

·
Registered
156 Posts
keeping it apples to apples. . .The 2 Ohm speakers will be louder than the 4 ohm speakers with the same amp assuming the amp is 2 and 4 ohm compatible. Those Infinity 62.11i speakers will sound insane with the 520.D amp. Loud and clear with clarity. I ran this system at one time and it rocks! Trust me. Good choice!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Curt...whoever said "wait" is a smart man. Like I said in my "Lessons Learned" thread, get educated on what you're buying-save your $$-then, get the stereo YOU always wanted. It beats the hell out of being underwhelmed AFTER you've spent your hard earned $$. Since you said you don't know a lot about stereos. Go to an installer who knows his sh*t. That's my .02
And he will get ripped because he will purchase whatever overpriced crap the installer gets the best deal on. Worst mistake I ever made was going to a few local installers....one tells you rockford is the best, the next says JL audio, the next says pioneers are crap, etc. etc. etc. I say he sticks with the folks who are unbiased as far as getting "deals" on certain equipment and who have experience with what works. The bike I was next to at the local bike nite on saturday was a bike from the same local installer who told me that JL audio was the best he could buy for bass. After hearing the thump of those pioneers in my bag, he is going back to the installer this week to get some answers. AND he spent like $1800 at that said installer by overpaying for some 5 year old JL audio speakers and amps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts