Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day all.... I have a 17 fltrxs with 10k on it and she is heading in for the 10 k service next week. Now, I've been getting oil from air filter from smog tubes onto my Bassani's, side cover and bag....
It used 1.5 quarts since last service, what should i tell/ask/ demand from service manager?
at one point I pulled the Air filter, manually open butterfly and saw oil pooled up in throttle body! I wiped her clean clean then rode her hard for 150 miles, oils back in there and the crew behind me said they smelled burning oil.
it was 96 here in Pa. ,humid as well. running synthetic H.D. oil as i bought the V.I.P.-E.S.P.
I can count on her getting sloppy after EVERY RIDE....OYYYYY
words of wisdom or experience greatly appreciated on how to deal with dealer, why does it do it?
Thanks to my fellow shark wranglers in advance.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Riding hard makes it worse. To my knowledge some are worse than others for this. On my 103 TC I installed an external breather vent/catch can. Problem solved for me, but as this is emissions control doing so may affect your warranty.

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
First thought is oil level , pre rushmores keep the oil half way up the hashmarks , and some will still blow by running hard ..

If you change it yourself use 3.5 qts , not four ..

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
First thought is oil level , pre rushmores keep the oil half way up the hashmarks , and some will still blow by running hard ..

If you change it yourself use 3.5 qts , not four ..
Get your drill and some nipples and a few feet of hose, plumb it down under the frame rail like an old bottom breather.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
So.."another oil from air cleaner on exhaust question"..have you looked at the others?

Your saying you use 1.5 quarts since the 5K? dang..take it in and ask them about sumping

as others mention, 1/2 quart below the full on the stick...are you, or the dealer, using the incorrect fill line or using hot when cold or??

·
Registered
438 Posts
Using 1.5 quarts since last service is a lot of oil, especially with you seeing oil pooling in the throttle body after 150 miles. Something isn't right.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
good day all.... I have a 17 fltrxs with 10k on it and she is heading in for the 10 k service next week. Now, I've been getting oil from air filter from smog tubes onto my Bassani's, side cover and bag....
It used 1.5 quarts since last service, what should i tell/ask/ demand from service manager?
Captain Obvious wants to know if it's a stock air cleaner.
When (what mileage or change was made) did it start puking oil?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all, it is a stage 1 s/e tune, bassani 2-1, hi flow a/c. i'm thinking of bottom breather type deal, BUT...warranty headache avoidance is 1 goal. Fixing the problem shall be the dealers goal?
I'm riding out to s.w. to see the sharks en-mas... and i don't want to carry oil cans dangit....
this sounds like sumping? oil pump issue? how do they fix the problem? thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry captain obvious, it always was stinky. after hi flow was installed i noticed the drool.... from the a/c, not me....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
final oops, a/c was installed w/ other goods at 2500 miles

·
Registered
188 Posts
A quart and a half is a lot of blow by in that amount of miles. Maybe ask your service guys to do a leak down test and maybe check for out of round cylinders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
thanks all, it is a stage 1 s/e tune, bassani 2-1, hi flow a/c. i'm thinking of bottom breather type deal, BUT...warranty headache avoidance is 1 goal. s
You've already got a potential problem with the bassani on there...careful!!

Never did say how the level was?...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh-Oh...Problem with Bassani?, what is that problem? Bike runs awesomely.... loves hi rpm...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when i noticed 1.5 qt. low. all but off the stick cold put in 1 qt. went around block, checked level after putting on mechanix gloves..... between hash marks/ 1/2 qt low. bike still drools after the 4 or 5 rides since. not all hiway rpm either. My main question is what to tell service mgr w/o telling him what to do so he dont get all... wtf dude on me. thanks.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
With the non-compliant exhaust you are at very high risk of voiding your powertrain warranty...forever...surprised you havent come across it in the forums yet..threads everywhere...didnt they tell you this when they put it on? Or did you do the install...look in your owners manual..its there too...

1st, is this the same dealer that put the non-EPA exhaust on it? If so, you may be safe..unless HD inspector comes down to authorize a big repair or replacement if it is sumping...if you are traveling and break down and go to a different dealer, you most liekely would get your VIN blacklisted for powertrain...

no way it is spitting that much oil through the AC...tell them whats is going on..that your engine oil level is going down..alot...they have a test for it...

·
Registered
188 Posts
With the non-compliant exhaust you are at very high risk of voiding your powertrain warranty...forever...surprised you havent come across it in the forums yet..threads everywhere...didnt they tell you this when they put it on? Or did you do the install...look in your owners manual..its there too...

1st, is this the same dealer that put the non-EPA exhaust on it? If so, you may be safe..unless HD inspector comes down to authorize a big repair or replacement if it is sumping...if you are traveling and break down and go to a different dealer, you most liekely would get your VIN blacklisted for powertrain...

no way it is spitting that much oil through the AC...tell them whats is going on..that your engine oil level is going down..alot...they have a test for it...

Even if his dealer put that exhaust an other stuff on his bike when they ask the MoCo for authorization to go into that motor the MoCo will want to know what modifications have been done to his bike. An the MoCo will say you have no more warranty because you did this and that to your bike. So if his dealer did the work hopefully they will stand behind him and make things right.

I'm speaking from experience on dealing with the MoCo on my 2012 when it had oil issues. They knew the modifications I had done and they told me on the phone that my warranty was gone.

But I had a great deal ship who went to bat for me and got the MoCo to pay for repairs. Jugs and rings at 10k and jugs, pistons and rings at 15k. At the 10k the jugs were out of round at 15k they just decided to do all an install a SE Heavy Breather AC set up.

But at a minimum try an have your dealer do a leak down test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
^^ pretty sure thats what I said..may be safe with dealer that did it, but not the MoCo..the M8 sumping is engine oil moving to the primary area..pretty well known, the dealer should know the situation and test for it..if that is what is going on, the stock exhaust needs to go back on ASAP... maybe get some other slip ons..at least he has the SE tuner...which is OK...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses thus far. I let the dealership do all the work as they said it wouldn't void the warranty if they did the work...... sooooooo,....
It goes in on the 12th and i will give updates as i get them, rock on-ride long, all

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oil puking out air filter

Take pictures, mention driving style, speed etc. Just went through this and they replaced my "rocker box vents" hope that's right, any way no more weeping, seeping or dribbling!!! Good luck! CSM-H

Thanks for the responses thus far. I let the dealership do all the work as they said it wouldn't void the warranty if they did the work...... sooooooo,....
It goes in on the 12th and i will give updates as i get them, rock on-ride long, all

·
Registered
188 Posts
Take pictures, mention driving style, speed etc. Just went through this and they replaced my "rocker box vents" hope that's right, any way no more weeping, seeping or dribbling!!! Good luck! CSM-H

Driving style is usually one of the first things they ask/accuse you of.
Their first thought is your running the bike to hard or running to high of an oil level. But yes pictures of oil dripping out of the AC are helpful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts