Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13' RG with 14,800 on the odometer. Went to my local Indy for service work, brakes, clutch etc. They said I needed to check my primary that it sounded bad, like a roaring sound. He said something is definitely going. Now they've got me concerned and my warranty is up the 30th of this month. I bought the bike new and I've never noticed anything odd sounding. So, while the bike is idling I get on hands and knees to listen and can hear the chain making some noise. Whether the noise is normal or not.I have no idea. I've read common problems are compensator and primary bearing. Anyway, drained the fluid and it looked good, no shavings , just a little fine dust on the magnet as usual. Refilled and been riding since with no problems that I'm aware of. Would y'all take it to dealer for a listen or possible looksy inside the primary? I know I.should but hate too but it could save me a lot cash. If they open it up and nothing wrong I guess I'll get charged right? Is it normal for the chain to make some noise while idling?

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
if nothing is wrong they shouldn't charge you since it is still under warranty ..

mine made some odd noises all along until I put the Hayden chain tensioner in there , not saying the tensioner is your issue , but I'd definitely have them look before the warranty runs out

JtB

·
Registered
483 Posts
if the dealer opens it and finds nothing and charges you for a half hour labor its approx $50 if the dealer opens it and fixes a problem under warranty it saves you possibly hundreds in parts and labor . Do you trust your indy's opinion that there may be a problem

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the dealer opens it and finds nothing and charges you for a half hour labor its approx $50 if the dealer opens it and fixes a problem under warranty it saves you possibly hundreds in parts and labor . Do you trust your indy's opinion that there may be a problem
Yeah I trust them. Best I can describe the noise is chattering or a slight grinding noise. Guess I'll run it down there bad as I hate to.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Probably the compensator. I would take it in while your still under warranty just to be safe. The service writer will likely know exactly what it is when you tell him noise from the primary.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
When you take it in, make sure you get it in writing that they checked the comp. This way , if they say it's normal and blows apart two months from now, your have a good case to get it fixed .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts