Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted on this before because I have been waiting on the service department's to figure it out. Here is the deal. I am loosing oil from around the oil pan some where. Not tranny oil, not primary oil but engine oil. This is the work that has been done over the last several months.

Slidell HD:

Replace oil pan gasket. (I did find two loose bolts when I got home)
Replaced all inner and outer primary seals twice.
Replaced transmission seals once
Replaced VSS o-ring once.

Mobile:

Replaced bearing in inner primary and seal. (One cause of noisy starting)
Installed SE compensator.

Oil LOOKS like it is seeping from behind the front belt pulley and SEEMS to be blowing back onto the oil pan. Shifter shaft area is bone dry. Oil plug had a new o-ring and teflon on it when installed. That area seems dry all but some mist.

Mobile service dept wants me to bring it back to check it out. No problem there. You guys got any ideas? This has been the same scenario since the leak first started. Bike has 40k on it and has been a problem since about 15k. I use Mobile 1 V-Twin and change every 5k, Spectra 6 speed and change every 10k and Formula plus in the primary and change every 10k.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The surface between the motor and transmission need to be really flat to not leak. The oil that does leak is Motor oil. They might check the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The surface between the motor and transmission need to be really flat to not leak. The oil that does leak is Motor oil. They might check the mating surfaces.
Good point. I'll mention that to them next week. Of course the have a PHD an already know that...LOL

Thank and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took me 4 times to git my 06 streetgide fixed ,it was a worn shifter shaft and seal.
I have 15 pages of service write ups from Slidell HD. Maybe Mobile will get a grip on it.:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
have they ruled out porus cases and also have they added a dye to the oil to aid in looking for the leak those are about the only things I can think of that you didnt mention .

Eagle

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have they ruled out porus cases and also have they added a dye to the oil to aid in looking for the leak those are about the only things I can think of that you didnt mention .

Eagle
Dye is next on my to do list before I take it in.

Thanks y'all!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
try this clean the area really well and dry it then, put baby powder over areas where you think it may be coming from and go for a short ride to get it up to temp then look for runs in the powder maybe this will help out that teck...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try this clean the area really well and dry it then, put baby powder over areas where you think it may be coming from and go for a short ride to get it up to temp then look for runs in the powder maybe this will help out that teck...
Thanks for the tip. I got some dye at Advance Auto Parts. Gonna put in in before I leave for Mobile.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the bike to Mobile today and was there when they tore it down. No engine oil leak according to the black light!! The Shifter shaft seal is good and it appears that the inner primary seal was good also. What we did find was a honking glob of RTV around the VSS and oil in the valley under the starter.

I had speedo troubles on my Ca. trip and got it fixed when I got back home at Slidell HD. The VSS has a o-ring on it and don't require RTV to seal. Hopefully this fixes everything. Thinking back, 6800 mile trip and no leaks until I put it in the shop for the speedo...got to be it!.

Best advice I can give anyone....STAY AWAY FROM SLIDELL HD!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think I would have to take that big glob of silicone up to that service manager and let him know thats the reason he will not be getting any more of my business if they can not replace a simple screw in part correctly why should you let them try and fix anything else.

Glad you have found the problem and hopefully dont have any more .

Eagle

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I would have to take that big glob of silicone up to that service manager and let him know thats the reason he will not be getting any more of my business if they can not replace a simple screw in part correctly why should you let them try and fix anything else.

Glad you have found the problem and hopefully dont have any more .

Eagle
I have had my say with them. Several of us from the coast here won't be back.

·
Registered
659 Posts
One of my things when diagnosing problems is to look at what was done last. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts