Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2012 RGU with stock suspension and a 21" front wheel. At 5'6" I am going to lower the bike as much as possible, for starters I am sending the seat to MCC to lower me a couple inches, next I would like to lower the back and front of the bike, probably an inch on the back, either progressives or HD premium shocks, my question is: how do I know how much to lower the front to make up for lowering the back+the front 21" wheel,( I am thinking monotubes 1 or 2") obviously the more the better but I am concerned with the front fender hitting the crash bar, is there a rule-of-thumb for this?

I ride 2-up 70% of the time and my previous bike was a Softail Deluxe so making the RGU suspension a little "harsh" doesn't face me, what would be your suggestion to lower the bike?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
If i was in your tiny shoes ;) I'd see how well you like the seating modification after you get that done first. Also, how much do you want or need to lower the bike to be comfortable with it? Do you know if the front was lowered to accommodate the 21" wheel? Some people lower the front to compensate for the slightly taller 21. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told the front was stock, i think an inch should do it, right know i can reach on my tip toes. I also noticed the bike leans ALOT when is on the side stand, i am assuming because the 21 wheel and the stock suspension combination.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
With the lower monotubes you can go one or two inches, try one first, if that's not enough go the rest of the way. I've been running -2 since the monotubes came out and never hit my fender until this summer when I hit a huge pot hole in Delaware. The monotubes will give you a much better ride than stock, a little stiffer but a lot more comfort and control. You might also want to try shoes with thick souls to help you out a little.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is only a opinion, but do the progressives out back n then I would do the -2 on the front , one because of the change in height of the 21 then two to adjust for the 1 inch drop n the back. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
hi. 5'6" here, I have a 2011 RGU, I did 1" blocks and a streetglide seat, my old bike was 2001 FLHT which I had 11.5" progressives and a Road King seat on. on both bikes I didn't mess with the front. the new RG is still a lil higher but manageable, it seems heavier too.

my 2 cents on your situation is this, if you can afford it buy good quality 11.5" shocks and seat work. you should be fine. I personally met a lady 5'1" riding a RK in Daytona, it was a stretch but she had it!!:D

[/URL][/IMG]

mine is black, my buddies is stock height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 13 RGC Front mono tubes -2 and burly block on rear -1 Have no problems with front fender and i'm 5'6" bike feels great and handles better than stock. I was on tippy toes before mod now feel much better flat footed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Had whats listed on my signature done and am very happy. I am 5'6" also. The stealer lowered the front only an inch. He said something about Harley not lowering the front more than the back, but Progressive said it would be okay so who knows. 11.5 inch rear springs I believe. Get boots with high heels. I had the seat "chopped" also.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My wife is 5'3" She has a 2014 Limited. All she has done to hers is put Street Glide shocks (1 inch lower) on the back and have MCC mod the seat. She is happy with the results and still has good ground clearance. I personally have not used any of Progressive's products, but so far hear nothing but good reviews.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my seat back from MCC and I still need to go lower (i know), i am thinking 11.5 shocks, what do you recomend? Progressive, cut the stock? I am open to sugesstions.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My wife is running the Street Glide shocks on hers. They are an inch lower than what comes on the Limited and the RG Ultra. If you need a LOT of drop, FBI has a drop seat kit but its $$$$. I am running stock suspension on my ride but I have heard really good things about Progressive. Me personally, I would try to lower it no more than absolutely necessary just to avoid ground clearance issues, but that's because the roads are crap around here.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the 11.5" Progressive 444's. Much better ride than with the stock 12" air ride. IF you go with an 11.5" shock be aware that the sweet spot between top out and bottom out is pretty short. The 444's have a threaded adjustment for pre load making it much easier to find the right setting than on the 412's with just the notched settings. Just a quarter turn can make a difference.
There are better shocks no doubt, and you get what you pay for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts