Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used 2011 RGU that has two large whip antennas on the back of tour pack. Previous owner has put a quick disconnect on tour pack, but antenna wire runs through the frame of quick disconnect of tour pack. If I disconnect the antenna wire they are just going to lay down between bags and wheels and then no reception for radio I guess. I would like to relocate the antenna down to the lower rear fender where I have seen other bikes. Not sure how they did this. Not wanting to buy the harley kit. Law abiding biker has a video about it but they want $25 for the video. I have seen Swomack's post on relocating but can't really tell where to install. I guess I need to go ahead and take off tour pack and see what my options look like or look at some other bikes to see what they did.
Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
498 Posts
The dealer was showing me their "quick detachable " tour pak set up when I bought my 2012 ultra they left the stock wiring in place, including the antennae wires. Not the right way. You really have to use the HD wiring kit, or fabricate something similar. The kit moves the fm and cb antenna bases down to the saddle bag support brackets, like the customs or street glides, for when you take off the TP. Then the wires from the tour pak connect there with an adapter when you put it back on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just got a used 2011 RGU that has two large whip antennas on the back of tour pack. Previous owner has put a quick disconnect on tour pack, but antenna wire runs through the frame of quick disconnect of tour pack. If I disconnect the antenna wire they are just going to lay down between bags and wheels and then no reception for radio I guess. I would like to relocate the antenna down to the lower rear fender where I have seen other bikes. Not sure how they did this. Not wanting to buy the harley kit. Law abiding biker has a video about it but they want $25 for the video. I have seen Swomack's post on relocating but can't really tell where to install. I guess I need to go ahead and take off tour pack and see what my options look like or look at some other bikes to see what they did.
Thanks
Michael
The cleanest way of handling this is to use faring antennas. The H-D AM/FM/WX faring antenna is relatively cheap ($79), but the CB will need to be aftermarket and is a little pricier dependent on manufacturer. This approach eliminates with whip antennas entirely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cleanest way of handling this is to use faring antennas. The H-D AM/FM/WX faring antenna is relatively cheap ($79), but the CB will need to be aftermarket and is a little pricier dependent on manufacturer. This approach eliminates with whip antennas entirely.
Sorry if I asked dumb questions, but is one of my antennas for a cb and one for am/fm? Don't have the cb so I could just hide that one away and only worry about relocating the am/fm?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
On my '15 RG I use the kit that @BlazingSaddle showed in his post. I am using a chopped pak I had installed on my '12 and just moved it over to the '15, but when it was on my '12, I modified the original RG mount the comes through the left side rear fender. I made it so the antenna laid back just far enough to clear the pak. Worked like it should and didn't look out of place. If I can find a pic I will post it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my '15 RG I use the kit that Blazing saddle showed in his post. I am using a chopped pak I had installed on my '12 and just moved it over to the '15, but when it was on my '12, I modified the original RG mount the comes through the left side rear fender. I made it so the antenna laid back just far enough to clear the pak. Worked like it should and didn't look out of place. If I can find a pic I will post it.
Is the left side antenna the am/fm antenna?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
On an Ultra I am not sure, but on a regular RG there is only one. Easiest way to determine is to listen to the radio with good reception and remove or unplug an antenna and you should find out right quick which one you have in your hand by the reception dropping out.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I ride an ultra, and that's where the am/fm antenna is located. Ultras didn't come with a CB in 16 so I don't have two antennas, but I don't think it makes a difference which side you mount them. I read a post and it had a pic of a bike with both of them mounted, but couldn't tell you which forum it was on.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Here is a pic of my '12 with the modified antenna position. I cannot recall if the Ultra rear fender facia has the same cutout as a FLTRX, but this was what I am talking about so I didn't have to rely on a tour pak mounted antenna. It looks better with the pak on though and you can even trim the antenna mast down for better looks.

I know I know, my photo skills need work.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Picture of the bracket attached to bike. I temporarily removed the antenna. Picture posted sideways and thought it would correct itself when you click on it. It doesn't, so sorry about that.

Edit: anyone know how to remove pics?

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
My understanding is the 2011 Road Glide Ultra came with the CB as a standard option within the radio unit and that changed with the 2016 model (CB became an option module). And yes, the left antenna should be the AM/FM/WX antenna and the right for the CB. If you look closely at the base of the black antenna shaft, you will see each is labeled as such in very small print.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My understanding is the 2011 Road Glide Ultra came with the CB as a standard option within the radio unit and that changed with the 2016 model (CB became an option module). And yes, the left antenna should be the AM/FM/WX antenna and the right for the CB. If you look closely at the base of the black antenna shaft, you will see each is labeled as such in very small print.
Thanks RoadTrip, having to paint the bathroom today and taking breaks reading all the post. I've been through the radio a little bit but have not seen the CB option on there. I have weather, am, fm and aux. I'll dive into the manual and see what I can find out. Thanks for the answer about which is which. I just need to spend some time taking the TP off and see what is what. Also thanks to Blazingsaddle and BH#103 for all the info.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks
Michael
Here are a couple YouTube videos that may help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7NoK0A1GA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJa83AUV7vs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if this is going to help you, but I got tired of dealing with that whip antenna and replaced it with this, no tools required, and it took all of 30 seconds:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PUY6FOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks good, but Long range reception suffers. I seldom listen to the radio anyway, more of a Bluetooth and USB fan.
Agree, have almost stuck myself in the eye just turning and walking around bike. Never had a bike with a radio so always had to use Bluetooth and headphones. Might go this route.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts