Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use anti-seize when reinstalling a muffler (slip-on) to make the next removal easier? I just pulled mine off to adjust the belt and thought a coating of anti-seize would be helpful. would be helpful down the road.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
@1st Sgt I am not sure of the heat rating of Anti Seize so I would check what is listed on the Bottle before applying any to the muffler. If it’s compatible I don’t see any issues just don’t gob it up. Another good product is PB Blaster. Helps remove stubborn pieces easily.
Best of Luck.
Mike U.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@1st Sgt I am not sure of the heat rating of Anti Seize so I would check what is listed on the Bottle before applying any to the muffler. If it’s compatible I don’t see any issues just don’t gob it up. Another good product is PB Blaster. Helps remove stubborn pieces easily.
Best of Luck.
Mike U.
Thanks Mike. I just checked the temperature rating and it is spec'ed up to 1600° F, so I think I'm good.

·
Registered
2015 FLTRUSE
12 Posts
Does anyone use anti-seize when reinstalling a muffler (slip-on) to make the next removal easier? I just pulled mine off to adjust the belt and thought a coating of anti-seize would be helpful. would be helpful down the road.
Yes indeed. I learned the hard way to always use an ant-seize compound for mufflers and related pipes. I've used Permatex aluminum successfully. Saw this info online:
1600 degrees F for aluminum anti-seize.
1800 degrees F for copper anti-seize.
2400 degrees F for nickel anti-seize.

All are well above a muffler joint temperature

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Anti-seize is your best friend if friction is a future problem. I fought my right muffler when removing it for Stage II work. I used anti-seize on both cans when I reinstalled them, plus the crossover pipe.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,587 Posts
Yup, I use Loctite LB771 nickel anti-seize, good to 2400* F. A little goes a long way. Also on exhaust stud threads.

Reactions: 1st Sgt and Mike U

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yup, I use Loctite LB771 nickel anti-seize, good to 2400* F. A little goes a long way. Also on exhaust stud threads.
Yes, I use this too, it's a higher temp. I do however put permatex copper high temp sealant on the crossover tube because there is no gasket there and it's a good place for a leak, and backfire on decel.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,587 Posts
Yes, I use this too, it's a higher temp. I do however put permatex copper high temp sealant on the crossover tube because there is no gasket there and it's a good place for a leak, and backfire on decel.
Haven't noticed any signs of exhaust leakage there, the clamps do a decent job.

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Registered
22 RGS
103 Posts
Late to the game. Don’t overlook MoM—Milk of Magnesia. Seriously, google it as an anti-seize. Used on ingitors and hot sections on P&W (F-15) other engines, those are smokin hot. Cheap, effective and not widely known. That old bottle in the back of the medicine cabinet. Apply a coat and let er rip.

The others work fine too. Pulling stuff from left field is all.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
:coffee:

Late to the game. Don’t overlook MoM—Milk of Magnesia. Apply a coat and let er rip.
Really good tip and one I'd long forgotten about. Thanks!

MoM is a great anti-seize product for your pipes. My grandma relied on it, and she was known for ripping one occasionally. :giggle:

·
Registered
22 RGS
103 Posts
:coffee:

Really good tip and one I'd long forgotten about. Thanks!

MoM is a great anti-seize product for your pipes. My grandma relied on it, and she was known for ripping one occasionally. :giggle:
Old trick. The first time I saw it called out in the tech orders, I had to read it a few times. Wasn’t odd to see a pile of turbine bolts soaking in it. I wouldn’t drink it afterwards.

Unsure of corrosion resistance. The others may shine there. But, if you want smooth moves, look to MoM.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
You guys must be scared to be rough with it. (that's what she said...) Just push that thing up and down and side to side tto get the split in the pipe wider and the slip-on will come right off. No need to be gentle. Lol!

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
3,976 Posts
You guys must be scared to be rough with it. (that's what she said...) Just push that thing up and down and side to side tto get the split in the pipe wider and the slip-on will come right off. No need to be gentle. Lol!
That resulted in my mounting tab snapping off my left-side true dual header - but yeah, you can Hulk smash pretty much anything to varying degrees of success

·
Registered
2019 Twisted Cherry Road Glide Ultra
251 Posts
Late to the game. Don’t overlook MoM—Milk of Magnesia. Seriously, google it as an anti-seize. Used on ingitors and hot sections on P&W (F-15) other engines, those are smokin hot. Cheap, effective and not widely known. That old bottle in the back of the medicine cabinet. Apply a coat and let er rip.

The others work fine too. Pulling stuff from left field is all.
^^^ Well ain't he the shits!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts