Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I know I'm looking forward to putting some faces to the names. Sounds like a good time to me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Park Pass Reminder

In the event that the group or some individuals end up going to Yosemite remember to bring your National Park Pass with you if you have one.
If you are 62 or older you can get one for $10 good for lifetime. They charge an additional $10 for mail in processing, but that takes about 2 months.
You can get one at the entrance to Yosemite with proof of age. I believe the gate closest to the hotel sells the passes. Yosemite # 209-372-0200. Pass works for everyone in a car or on a bike.
For those that were at SW3 you will remember the first NP we went to, a lot of us got in line to get one that we used several times during that one rally.
AARP says the NP Senior Pass may go to $80 by the end of 2017.
Looks like the motorcycle entrance fee went to $20 in 2016. Still a beautiful ride either way. Yosemite Admission Costs
Getting close now, looking forward to some great riding.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
All,

Good news...... Sonora Pass opened on Tuesday! The bad news is 140 is closed as they had a rock slide that blocked the road. There are only 2 ways into Yosemite at this time:

120 from the WEST and 41 from the SOUTH

Saturday we will be riding Sonora Pass (108) over to 395 then up and over Monitor Pass to Markleeville for lunch. We will return to the hotel via 88 to 49.

Sunday there will be 2 rides planned, pick one! Yosemite Valley or Ride up through Murphys to El Dorado to have lunch at Poor Red's (Home of the GOLDEN CADILLAC)

Here are pictures of Sonora Pass the day they opened (June 13)

We will be having our famous Bar B Q on Saturday night at the Hotel

See you all next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm on a scouting trip. Sitting in a hotel room in Sonora, CA.

The Wife and I are spending the night here then doing the Moody Blues concert at Ironstone Winery in Murphy's, Ca tomorrow night.

Looking forward to seeing everyone here next week.

P. S. We stopped at Poor Red's for lunch on the way up here. Good food as always. :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Here's another report from my Scouting trip.

Gus's Steak House on Mono way in Sonora, just down the street from the Motel, has fantastic Rib Eyes! They were out of the Prime Rib when we got here, but there were plenty of other choices.

I highly recommend this place. I talked to the owner, he's been in business here for 38 years. It's a family run business. They are not open on Sundays, but Friday/Saturday will work, anytime after 3 pm. Address is 1183 Mono Way.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have returned from my Scouting Trip.

I sent the Menu I got from Gus' Steak House to hd4cruzin at his request. I also sent the menu for Mi Pueblo which is another local Mexican place. I have not eaten there, but I have a friend who used to live in Sonora who highly recommends it.

As you can see from the pictures, it's a nice setting along one of the local creeks.

I also recommend the Diamondback Grill. Again, I did not eat there this weekend, but I have in the past and it is good.

There is also a place in town called Yoshoku Ramen Noodle Bar. As you can imagine, it features Asian Cuisine.

Since it was so bloody hot this last weekend (100* on Saturday and 105* on Sunday) the wife and I took a trip east on Highway 108 up into the Sierra Nevada mountains. We didn't go as far as the Sonora Pass, but we did go up to Dardanelle, which is just short of the pass. It was about 10 - 15 degrees cooler there.

On our way there, we stopped off at the Donnell Vista Point overlooking Donnell Lake. There are a couple of waterfalls currently feeding the lake. If you look closely at the next two shots (a panorama) you can see them and the lake.

All in all, it was a good trip over the weekend topped off with the Moody Blues concert at the Ironstone Ampitheater in Murphys, CA on Sunday night. I ended up putting about 375 miles on the Road Glide in a 36 hour period.

I still plan on coming up on both Saturday and Sunday for day trips. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
High Temps

Short notice I know, but if any of you have a "Cycle Gear" near you they sell "Heat Out" clothes that are very effective at helping with the heat.
The long sleeve shirt will keep you noticeably cooler and also keeps the sun off your arms. On sale now if you have time to get there before tomorrows ride starts.
Other than the heat, we are looking forward to a great time this weekend.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Short notice I know, but if any of you have a "Cycle Gear" near you they sell "Heat Out" clothes that are very effective at helping with the heat.
The long sleeve shirt will keep you noticeably cooler and also keeps the sun off your arms. On sale now if you have time to get there before tomorrows ride starts.
Other than the heat, we are looking forward to a great time this weekend.
Here the link guys.

The stuff works really well.

Swomack

https://www.cyclegear.com/search?_utf8=✓&query=heat+out+clothing&commit=Search

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
For those riding up Saturday morning to go on the Sonora pass ride to Markleeville for lunch (Wolf Creek) we are planning on trying to leave at 8:30AM. Get to Markleeville around Noon.

Sunday's rides will leave a little later as the miles won't be as long and more of a relaxing day.

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
Well, crap, in going over my pre-ride inspection it seems I have a valve stem leak in the rear tire. I tightened the nut, changed out the valve core, all to no avail. I had planned on leaving the OC by 8:00 a.m., but looks like that's gonna arrival time at the local tire dealer to see if I can get a quick fix. Hope to see you all before it gets too late Friday night!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Damn Ron. That sucks but I'm glad you caught before getting on the road. Let us know what happens in the morning.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Better late than never. I just reserved a room for Sat. I plan on leaving Sacto early Sat morning so I can make the ride. I did Napa & enjoyed meeting the gang.

Preston
Glad you could make it Preston. Looking forward to seeing you again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm new to this group and my bike is new to me. That's my excuse for not participating in this expedition this time. But I definitely want to join this tour next year. Have fun!

·
Registered
941 Posts
No worries! I've been hanging around this place for the last 5 1/2 years. This will be my first outing to meet everyone.

We'll get to meet you in person sooner or later.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Day started off good. Ride up highway 108 was nice. Snow at Sonora Pass kept the heat down.

Lunch in Markelyville, CA at Wolf Creek. We had 17 bikes on the ride today.

The problems started after lunch on the way down Highway 88 from Carson Pass. HillGlide had some kind of issue that caused him to crash. He had to be life flighted to Roseville, , CA.

We are still waiting for more information on his condition.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I just talked to Preston's wife and Preston. He is in the TNI unit and has some broken ribs and finger. A lot of soreness but in good spirits. He was wearing a FF helmet which I'm sure help minimize his injuries.

I will post further updates in the future.

Bill

41 - 60 of 79 Posts