Road Glide banner

Any claims experience with HD Insurance

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  gkt33 
#1 ·
I just created a quote for HD insurance and to my surprise its about $200 less per year than Geico. Same coverage, but was able to add trip insurance (didnt have with Geico) and still save that $200.

Ive used Geico for years, but my rate skyrocketed when I upgraded to my 2018 RGU, so I thought it was worth looking around.

But, should I need to make a claim, I dont want to enter into a nightmare situation, Geico has always been easy.

Looking for any pros or cons with HD insurance.

Thanks

#2 ·
I just created a quote for HD insurance and to my surprise its about $200 less per year than Geico. Same coverage, but was able to add trip insurance (didnt have with Geico) and still save that $200.
Ive used Geico for years, but my rate skyrocketed when I upgraded to my 2018 RGU, so I thought it was worth looking around.
But, should I need to make a claim, I dont want to enter into a nightmare situation, Geico has always been easy.
Looking for any pros or cons with HD insurance.
Thanks
"you never know how good your insurance is until you have to use it."
learned that adage years ago.

i use an independent agent because they are always there when i need them.
i don't have to go through a list of voicemail prompts or deal with some kid fresh out of high school on the line.
they are also very competitive on new business.
they will shop the best rates for the type of coverage you want and/or need.
just a suggestion.
also, if they try to screw you, you can go over to their business and bitch slap 'em lol
works especially well with banks...

#4 ·
Thanks for the lead on Markel American, Ill get a quote.
Come to think of it, Ive never made a claim on a motorcycle, Ive had a few comprehensive claims on my cars with Geico without any issues, but always wondered about motorcycle coverage. I switched to them from Dairyland when I move to Texas, vehicle insurance rates are crazy high in Texas (at least compared to Illinois)

#5 ·
We went to Country Financial from USAS/Gieco. I second the concept of a local agent. I had the misfortune of making a claim last year. Didn't have to culminate the claim as the at fault insurance company actually stepped up and made good. The claim process as far as it went was decent enough.

One thing no one talks about... You don't generally have PIP on your motorcycle. It is a statutory insurance that only covers light vehicles. Make sure you have insurance that covers your medical bills if you go down. It is generally a rider.

Reactions: ALMOONEY
#6 ·
I know it is different based on where you live but when I got a quote from HD insurance, the quote was actually from Progressive. Then I went to USAA and they also linked me to Progressive. Even though both quotes were from Progressive, the USAA/Progressive quote was about $100 cheaper.

#8 · (Edited)
Any given day and given hour one person will get a low rate another high from the same company even if everything is equal. HD does not do their own insurance it is done by others. Use to be Progressive now it depends on where you are they have different ones.
Take the best deal you get for the same coverage, or coverage that fits you needs . Enjoy until the day they pick you and double your rate , then switch the the other one.
Good luck
I had Progressive for 11 years cars and Bikes never a problem. Totaled a 2011 RGU. Deer hunting with it. Great fast settlement. No rate increase 4 years latter for no reason at all the doubled my rates. I have not had a traffic ticket in 35 years. All the other stuff they check is good. It was just my turn. Went to GEICO ended up switching cars also better rate. I am sure one day GEICO will do the same.
Trade my 2016 RGU for a 2017 RGU and rates went down on all 3 bikes figure that one out.

Reactions: enddav
#10 ·
@ChromeSpark Thanks for the link to the other discussion.

I have been shopping my homeowners ins every couple years as it seems renewal rates become brutal after they keep you for a couple years.

I think Ill contact my HO ins broker (who did a good job finding a reasonable homeowners rate) and see if she can shop Motorcycle also.

Clearly its a racket and it takes a little effort if you want a good rate. What Im always concerned with is the service level should you need to claim. Ive (knock on wood) had only 1 collision claim, when I was 16, and it wasnt my fault. So all I know are horror stories, hoping for no accident claims ever, but willing to pay a little more for a good company.

You all have been very helpful (Im going to call HD Ins tomorrow to see who is actually administering the policy, if its Progressive, that woudl be good from a service perspective.

#11 ·
i started with hd insurance when i bought my first hd back in 2002. i've shopped rates periodically since and hd (progressive) has been the best every time.

in 17 years, i've had to make 4 claims. none of them were for collision, and they've treated me fairly every time and never raised my rates because of it.

one disadvantage for rate jumping, you do lose certain perks.

right now, i'm paying for $1000 deductible. but because i've been claim free for 4 years, i have a zero $ ded. unfortunately, because i had a claim last november, this june when i have to renew, i'll either have to pay for a lower deductible, or actually have a high deductible for a couple of years. but, they did treat me very good in resolving this claim. initial check for 2 grand and then after cleaning the bike up (deer guts, ewww) i discovered where the chrome on my front wheel had gotten gouged. they ponied up another grand without any argument.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.