Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably seems like an odd question, but are there any systems out there that provide the performance boost and heat reduction without the louder pipes? I know that the purpose of these systems is to increase air flow by removing the choke points (catalyitic coverter and stock muffler) but they all seem to come with mufflers designed to add varying levels of louder-than-stock sound. I would love to get rid of my cat to reduce some heat but I don't want anything louder than stock. Anything like this out there?

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I would think not. Anytime the exhaust flow is improved the db level on the exhaust will increase.
The good news is that there are some slip-on mufflers that are not overly loud, I use the Vance & Hines Monster Round mufflers and they are not too loud when idling or cruising but they will "Bark" a little when I am getting on the throttle or when the bike is pulling up hill.
You may just want to cut out the cat in the head pipe or get a aftermarket head pipe and see how that works for you before you make a muffler change.

·
Premium Member
6,245 Posts
for a good sounding, well performing system, look at getting a catless header pipe, and a set of cvo mufflers with fullsac 1.75 or 2.0 muffler recores. it's not substantially louder than stock, though it is a little.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I would love to get rid of my cat to reduce some heat but I don't want anything louder than stock. Anything like this out there?

The first thing you could do is to simply de-cat that stock pipe and just run it with the stock mufflers.

If you want to add some performance and still keep the noise down, I'd suggest checking out the new E-series pipes from Fuelmoto http://www.fuelmotousa.com/rt-4075-fuel-moto-e-series-exhaust.html

I just put the 2-into-1 E series pipe on my 103. The performance is very good, the sound is louder when you hammer it, but at idle and at highway highway speeds the sound is a very nice low rumble.
PLUS, you can reduce the number of discs and make it even quieter if you want.
They also have the mufflers as slip-ons for duals.

I'd call and talk with them they should be able to tell you what the exact sound levels and tell you how much power you will lose by making it quieter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I installed the SE Night Sticks, only 2 decibels louder than stock.. i just put the Power Duals on it and it is not much louder..but runs STRONG..

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Probably the best quieter performance pipe is the D&D with the quiet baffle. It won't perform as good as the performance baffle but will be a lot better than any other I can think of.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine are louder than stock when I crack the throttle, but quite reasonable and pretty quiet at highway criusing 3000-3500 RPM. MGS true duals. That is why I got them. Don't want loud pipes for 3 hours on the highway

·
Registered
493 Posts
v & H monster ovals are quieter than the rounds, I have the ovals. They look boss, but I was surprised I don't get much noise out of them.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,814 Posts
Remove cat & run OEM muffs. They won't be that much louder. & safe you some money doing the cat. If you change air cleaner to free flowing (stage 1) you'll need at least a remap. A tuner would be the best way to go, as touring bikes are lean from the factory.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Like others say remove the cat free some heat and re evaluate. Some exhaust offer low noise baffles or disk low noise levels. Personally will not expend much on those pipes since gain is low. Removing the Cat will be my choice.
Good luck on your mods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This probably seems like an odd question, but are there any systems out there that provide the performance boost and heat reduction without the louder pipes? I know that the purpose of these systems is to increase air flow by removing the choke points (catalyitic coverter and stock muffler) but they all seem to come with mufflers designed to add varying levels of louder-than-stock sound. I would love to get rid of my cat to reduce some heat but I don't want anything louder than stock. Anything like this out there?
This is Easy Easy Easy,,, Gut your headpipe and buy a Set of Supertrapp Fatshots ...See Sound Chart Below

http://www.supertrapp.com/images/pdfs/hot-sauce-db.pdf

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The first thing you could do is to simply de-cat that stock pipe and just run it with the stock mufflers.

If you want to add some performance and still keep the noise down, I'd suggest checking out the new E-series pipes from Fuelmoto http://www.fuelmotousa.com/rt-4075-fuel-moto-e-series-exhaust.html

I just put the 2-into-1 E series pipe on my 103. The performance is very good, the sound is louder when you hammer it, but at idle and at highway highway speeds the sound is a very nice low rumble.
PLUS, you can reduce the number of discs and make it even quieter if you want.
They also have the mufflers as slip-ons for duals.

I'd call and talk with them they should be able to tell you what the exact sound levels and tell you how much power you will lose by making it quieter.

THANK YOU..........some real world experience!
Iam pretty sure I am going FuelMoto for my tuner/tunes but their new E series 2 into 1 has caught my eye. I was in Millwakee last week, but ran short on time, or I would have taken the trip to Little Chute

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been through 5 exhaust systems, settled on Fuelmoto head pipe and CVO stock mufflers. Quiet, yet makes more power than the other 4 systems. Love it!
This is more or less the route I went (will go). Ordered V&H Power Dual header and SE Tuner to be installed at my HD but will just keep the stock CVO slip ons for now.

HD tech recommended this set up for low noise. Said I would not lose any power with keeping the stock mufflers (over the V&H Monster Oval/Rounds I was considering) due to the stock mufflers have more back pressure.

Since the bike is still under warranty going this route is safest bet for me to avoid any warranty issues that might pop up down the line. And I can always add different slip ons later and retune if I want.

Will post here after it's done on 6/9.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.