Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 27k on her .should have done it at 25k. with winter approaching I figure I can do it when bored.
I found a video doing a 2008 roadglide on you tube. would it be the same for the 2011?
I

·
Super Moderator
9,687 Posts
Yep would be the same , only 27k ? IMO wasting money , over 55 on my 11 , still original filter , to each his own , seen 'em go 125k and still have original in there ..

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yep would be the same , only 27k ? IMO wasting money , over 55 on my 11 , still original filter , to each his own , seen 'em go 125k and still have original in there ..
I second that; I even heard a MoCo tech admitting that it's not required but they do it anyway – charging the customer and makin' good money...:frown:
As you know the fuel filter is there to trap debris before it reaches the fuel injectors which otherwise would be clogged. Some riders would tell you that symptoms include hard start or rough idle. That is not the case, an engine needs less fuel at start-up and idle. However at higher loads a clogged filter would restrict the fuel flow straining the fuel-pump to provide enough fuel since the volume is reduced. The classic example is going up-hill where a clogged filter would cause the engine to loose power at steady throttle. And turning the throttle would just cause the engine to stutter and misfire.
Bottom line - none of those symptoms? Keep on ridin* :wink:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
First, I agree, no need to change at 25K, though I did anyway, LOL.

Second, no need to remove the tank, just the console and the fuel filter collar.

Below is the video I watched to learn how to do it on my 2013 road glide. Its an 08 in the video, but pretty much the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYOsc7NBhBo

Also, this tool is a must have. Many people have crafted their own tool, which I respect, of course, but life is too short, so I bought the tool that was made for the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-Fuel-Tank-Lock/dp/B008CH7LH8

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
when I bought my 09 the manual called for the change at 25k, but they have since changed it.
my 2010 spec the change every 25k, my wife's 2012 is spec'd for 100k. the funny part is nothing has changed. the part numbers are the same.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I changed my fuel filter twice on my 08 with over 100,000 miles and both times the filter was black, the filter was still working fine but it never hurts to do maintenance.
You don't need to remove fuel tank to replace filter and you can replace the filter without pulling fuel pump or disconnecting fuel lines and wires.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

What Jack said. I got 74,000 on mine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input. for some reason I was thinking 50k which is why I didn't change it at 25kwhen I did oil,air filter, and plugs.
on another note,does any one use injector cleaner like you would in a car?
I just cleaned the throttle body on wifes car at 50k and dumped some cleaner in the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts