Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here for me..
I have a 2016 RGS in Black Quartz. I am getting ready to wax it soon, and am looking for suqqestions on what to use. What have ya'll had good luck with, and what have you found to be junk not worth dealing with?
Thanks,
Magic

·
Registered
374 Posts
Personally, I like the Meguiars Spray wax

·
Registered
453 Posts
Forget all that fancy stuff. Collinite Insulator Wax #845 is the best stuff out there. Gives you a finish like liquid glass and there's no white residue on rubber and/or plastics. It's old-school, but it's the best out there.
Little more info if you would sir: good finish by hand or with a buffer? Good life span?

Still looking for a good wax that will hold up on vivid black. I don't want my bike trashed, but I ride a lot in most all conditions, and some of those fancy show waxes just don't stick around long enough.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
First post here for me..
I have a 2016 RGS in Black Quartz. I am getting ready to wax it soon, and am looking for suqqestions on what to use. What have ya'll had good luck with, and what have you found to be junk not worth dealing with?
Thanks,
Magic
As mentioned, Collinite is a good wax that is cheap. Like everything else it comes down to what you want to spend. Are you wanting more of a beauty wax or longevity?

I detail cars as a side gig and I can't tell you the last time I used wax. I try and steer customers away from wax for a couple reasons.
1, it just doesn't last down here in Florida. I have a tub of Wolfgang Fuzion that cost $170. I might have done 5 cars with it.
2. Wax is a dust magnet. Dust, dirt, crud, everything sticks to it.

So, a sealant is the next step up the food chain. Last longer and its not a magnet for the junk. Collonite falls sort of in this category.

The highest on the food chain is a paint coating. Coatings are a game changer in the detail world. Nothing sticks to them. Gloss is unmatched. Last for years, literally years. Drawback to a coating is you have to know what your doing to apply them.

For any LSP, it will only look as good as whats below it. If the paint is swirled up with RIDS, it doesn't matter if you have a $5000 wax applied, it will be still be swirled up. Its all in the prep period.

Watch some videos of paint coatings, most are either quartz or silica based. Its amazing how water reacts with coatings and this is why the stay clean longer.
Collinite is the best which has been mentioned previously. It has a different look to it, more of a hard candy look than a deep rich look. It can be finicky to apply and there are a lot of write ups about application using it. You can not put it on to thin!! If you over do it you will fight it every step of the way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The turtle wax is black so does the best with black finishes and doesnt leave a white residue as mentioned. Im skeptical too as of late. But this did a good job and id recommend it for the price. Obviously every one above thinks their option is the best. And may be. Just offering a viable suggestion due to my experience. :serious:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Furthermore dont just take my word for it, google search it, youtube it and check out reviews of other users on HD Forums. Cant say I've heard any bad reviews and all have been very positive. :wink: BTW sig pic was taken right after black boxing my ride

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suggestions based on your experience happen to be exactly what I'm looking for! I greatly appreciate everyone's input on this.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The turtle wax is black so does the best with black finishes and doesnt leave a white residue as mentioned. Im skeptical too as of late. But this did a good job and id recommend it for the price. Obviously every one above thinks their option is the best. And may be. Just offering a viable suggestion due to my experience.
Thanks, I might give that a try some time. I think I need to invest in a clay bat kit and a buffer and get a better surface to work with first. But might be the magic bullet I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No wax for me. Zaino Bros polymer polishes used here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Process order
1. Wash
2. Iron X
3. Clay
4. Compound, if needed
5. Polish
6. LSP.
** If using a coating, the surface must be wiped down with Eraser or a Alcohol water mix before applying a coating.

I have never used the color waxes, so I will not comment on how Well they work. Colored waxes started 5 or so years ago. Chemical guys has a black and white wax. Guys have used black wax on white cars and white wax on black cars so the coloring effect might not be what you think. What most of these colored waxes contain are fillers. These fillers attempt to hid imperfections in the paint. Wax/glaze combo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts