Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see how many Tx riders headed to Sturgis and when? I've never been and was thinking of heading up there since I'm off work that week and my wife and I can't take a vacation together this year since she has no time off.:(
Oh well. I'm thinking about going, but was wanting to ride up there with someone or in a group. (I live in west Texas west of Lubbock.) Haven't found a group around here headed up that way yet. It all depends on if I can find a place to stay and $ and if the wife really lets me to go. (stay somewhere quiet at night, I'm not the partying type......anymore.) I could meet up with anyone in NM somewhere or where ever.

·
Registered
955 Posts
West of Lubbock? Ain't a whole lot out that way, is there? lol Hell, you're half way to Sturgis already, should only take you 6 or 7 hours.

Sorry. lol I over nighted in LBB last Sunday night. We stayed at the Days Inn and had Texas shaped waffles before we made the final run back in to Austin. Only thing better'n leaving Texas is coming back. Sure was good to be home again.

God Bless Texas!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
West of Lubbock? Ain't a whole lot out that way, is there? lol Hell, you're half way to Sturgis already, should only take you 6 or 7 hours

Sorry. lol I over nighted in LBB last Sunday night. We stayed at the Days Inn and had Texas shaped waffles before we made the final run back in to Austin. Only thing better'n leaving Texas is coming back. Sure was good to be home again.

God Bless Texas!
Your right, not a lot out here, but we do have a lot of farm to market roads to ride that go on forever! And Amen to God Bless Texas!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've made it from Rapid City back to home in 9 hrs.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the wife might be able to go now. Which is cool with me!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have never been. My biker buddy goes every year after Rally. I am going to try and go with them 8/24. They will trailer/ride about 2500 miles to Sturgis via W. Colorado with 4-5 bikes. Ride the bike when u want, ride in the A/C truck with a cold brewski when u want.....which is probably what I will do til we get out of W. Texas on a 105-107 degree day.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went in 07'. Was a fun week but not sure I would go back. Was stupid expensive.
I figured it was expensive. If we do go up there we are trying to find the cheapest place to stay (tent). We're not going to stay up there the whole week, just a few days and then head back.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If your looking to save money don't pitch your tent at the Buffalo Chip. IIRC it cost us like $300 per person for the week. Also beer that the Full Throttle Saloon was like $7 a pop. When you go to places like Mount Rushmore parking is like $15 per bike not per parking space.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we won't be staying anywhere close to the rally. Found a place in Keystone for $20 a night per person. We're not the hard partying type. Would still like to find a group heading up there though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riding up to Sturgis from Bandera around 2nd or 3rd August. Passing through Lubbock. I'm looking for company on the ride. I already have pass for Buffalo Chip plus motel room in Rapid City. I may be willing to share. Let me know ur plans if u want company. My first to Sturgis, bother-in law goes every year but can't make it this year. I was at ROT rally in Austin. Awesome.

Any one else in Texas riding up? Reply........

·
Registered
75 Posts
we won't be staying anywhere close to the rally. Found a place in Keystone for $20 a night per person. We're not the hard partying type. Would still like to find a group heading up there though.
Where you staying? im a local so could tell you if is a nice place.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well plans keep changing so I don't know if we will make it this year or not. :( Think we will just start planning for next year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are going up the week before. Leaving Fort Worth on 27th or 28th. Planning on riding thru Colorado and taking my time. Only staying in Sturgis for 4 days then headed back south.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a big group of us from Houston heading that way. We are meeting in Denver and heading to Sturgis the long way. North through Rocky Mountain National NP, Grand Tetons NP, Jackson Hole, Yellow Stone NP, Chief Joseph Highway, Montana, and then dropping down to Sturgis. Some of us are staying in Spearfish and some in Sturgis. We are leaving 8/2 and coming back 8/12. There is awesome riding in Western Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
We will be heading to sturgis after the rally. Planning on leaving Aug 30 the boring way through Ok, KC, and NE. Spend a few days then head to Montana for a few. Work our way to Idaho, Utah, Colorado. Total trip time 15 days. Love to meet fellow riders if any are available during those days. In fact any other riders living in or near Texas are certainly welcome to join me and my riding buddy. It would be great to have a couple more RG riders!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leaving Lubbock on Friday

I just moved to Lubbock this past January and will be leaving for Sturgis on Friday. I'm not the party type, just love to ride the Black Hills and see all the bikes. I'm going to be meeting my dad and a friend in Sidney, NE and then ride on in on Saturday. And before you even ask. The reason I moved to Lubbock is work. I work in health care IT, (CIO of a hospital). If your still considering going, welcome to join me on the ride up. We are comming back mid week, plan to be at work on Thursday. What is the best/fastest way up from here? I normally ride from Southern Missouri to Sturgis in one day and that was 1045 miles. I do ride a little faster than some, and I crossed 125,000 miles on Harley's last year. Safe to say I'm not a total noob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts