Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id be curious if theres any reason to keep the catalytic on stock '17 Rod Glide Special? I dont see any benefit from it , I dont think it hurts anything either ; other than the sound with is "gutless" , Ill be removing it regardless , a month left on my warranty oh well !

2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special Denim Black

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Id be curious if theres any reason to keep the catalytic on stock '17 Rod Glide Special? I dont see any benefit from it , I dont think it hurts anything either ; other than the sound with is "gutless" , Ill be removing it regardless , a month left on my warranty oh well !

2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special Denim Black
It depends on what your goals and budget are. From a performance perspective its almost certainly better to get a 2-1 or 2-1-2 that has been designed for performance.

But I would temper expectations on what the affect on sound will be from simply removing the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just left mine alone and left the cat in. Added a Big Sucker AC and a Power Vision Tuner from FM with a map for my bike's setup installed.. Already had HOs on it. After four autotune sessions on top of that, I can tell a big difference - more responsive, runs cooler, rev limit increased. Sounds fine for my taste.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
budgetwise , its not an issue nor is performance this leaps and bound better performance wise than my Indian , not looking for anything , but the last bike I had removing the cat made it ten times cooler and times louder

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
The CAT on the M8 is really for the EPA - MoCo made it longer per say to keep the rider happy with heat and many a Tech I have spoken to about it says the numbers in and out are really not that much different - The M8 Sound will NEVER be like any other HD built as the plant is just so different - Unless you go 2:1 for performance or True Duals for Sound....the CAT in the M8 is really not something that present much of an issue......other than Warranty void and that is an EPA thing

Not like the Old CAT off the Twin Cam Motors.......that just had to go

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
It will be cooler in that area of the pipe but the volume will only increase a small amount. It will not make it way louder but it will make some difference.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Are you still under warranty? Yes. Then keep it. No. shit can it, slap some cams in it and hold on...

Reactions: TulsaGlide

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you still under warranty? Yes. Then keep it. No. shit can it, slap some cams in it and hold on...
less than a month , and yes thats why im here asking !!!!!

·
Banned
72 Posts
A little bit louder,big thing is the heat. I bought a brand new 18 Last Summer and rode it with the cat in with only doing neighbor hater slip-ons. Last winter I picked up a head pipe of Craigslist with the cat still in it. Brought it home put it in the vice and remove the cat not a bad job if you got the right tools. I installed it on my bike without doing an air cleaner like I said not much change in sound. I knew I wanted to do a stage one but seeing's how I only live about an hour's drive from Fuel Moto I went and got Cam Kit Road & Track 2 into 1 pipe performance machine high hp ac and a power vision mapped for my set up. After finishing up my new ape hangers this last weekend went for first ride today . The weather here where I live in Wisconsin hit 70 degrees. I must say that set up really woke that Milwaukee eight up thoroughly impressed.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I knocked the cat out of my 18 while still on the bike.I welded a piece of flat bar to a air chisel bit and sliced the shit out of it.Fired it up and out came the kitty! I installed the bassani cross over eliminator pipe and it actually sounds pretty good.Those cats do muffle the sound a lot, I say kill it!

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
You can purchase a stock oem set up from the auction site with the cat removed fairly reasonable price. That way you have the stock head pipe to put back on if ever needed.

Reactions: TulsaGlide

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can purchase a stock oem set up from the auction site with the cat removed fairly reasonable price. That way you have the stock head pipe to put back on if ever needed.
That's what I did got one on fleabay for 150.00 really clean pipe. Put it on my 17 and when I traded for 19 swapped pipes. So I still have the catted pipe that I can do it again. Does take the heat off the right foot when riding on those hot days especially in traffic

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
For people running the DE-cated head pipe, does it have a hollow/tinny sound? I'd like to get rid of the heat, but not at the expense of what a "cheap" fix usually ends up creating.

I've never had a de-cated head pipe on a bike, and I'm not sure if I've ever heard one. But I no doing something like this on a car/truck usually ends up with less then stellar results in the tone department.

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Living as I do near a major city in the summer heat of Australia, I anticipated heat issues in heavy traffic. It was a no-brainer to me to have catless header pipes installed before I even took delivery. I didn't do it for sound, purely for reduced temperature.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I must always be the Odd Man Out on this site as I have never really noticed ANY heat from any of my "CAT In" M8s? - On the TC, hell yes I felt it but with the relocation of the CAT on the M8.......I don't feel shit really

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I must always be the Odd Man Out on this site as I have never really noticed ANY heat from any of my "CAT In" M8s? - On the TC, hell yes I felt it but with the relocation of the CAT on the M8.......I don't feel shit really
x2 you're the odd man out per se lol

the M8 supposedly has exhaust gas temps 100° less than previous twinkies.

people don't realize when they add more fuel the cat has to work harder to burn the richer mixture (hence hotter)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Summers over up there, it was brief but you got a ride in , i hear blizzard conditions coming!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heat

It was a nice day here today. Rode 75 miles or so after work. I put a tormentor header on last month. The difference in heat is substantial. Wife's footboard was 140 last year when new. Now checked with heat gun after ride today 78. Runs perfect sounds good. I'm a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts