Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It turns out its NOT a good idea to work on plastic parts when it's 14 degrees...

I was 15 minutes from having my entire winter project done and broke the plastic speedo housing that I had just painted. Anyone have an idea on a fix???

I think I can superglue it back together. The right side of the housing broke on the downward side where the cruise and accessory switch are mounted. Happened so fast i'm not even sure what happened. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd take them. Anything better than superglue to use? I'll probably buy a new one later but I'm not getting it re-painted BBP right now so it will have to wait for the next round of mods.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It turns out its NOT a good idea to work on plastic parts when it's 14 degrees...

I was 15 minutes from having my entire winter project done and broke the plastic speedo housing that I had just painted. Anyone have an idea on a fix???

I think I can superglue it back together. The right side of the housing broke on the downward side where the cruise and accessory switch are mounted. Happened so fast i'm not even sure what happened. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd take them. Anything better than superglue to use? I'll probably buy a new one later but I'm not getting it re-painted PPB right now so it will have to wait for the next rount of mods.

Thanks in advance.
3m makes a two part bonding material for plastics. I can't think which number it is off the top of my head. I use that with some mat on the back side. This will get you by until you replace it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3m makes a two part bonding material for plastics. I can't think which number it is off the top of my head. I use that with some mat on the back side. This will get you by until you replace it.
Does 34240 for semi-rigid plastic repair sound right? You think that would hold up better than superglue?

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
I used JB on a clamp epoxied to a heat shield on some drag pipes. Its still holding great, over a year and a few k miles. The only down side its not flexible. I would use something intended for plastic. (Flexible ) Your probably only going to get one chance before boogering up the paint.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Plastic is a rather generic term. How you repair it depends on what it really is made from. There are a number of different "plastic" materials used in automotive parts. What works for one type of material may destroy another type.

Take the part to a parts house that has extensive support for body shops, not just mechanics (i.e. Paint and body repair tools). Someone in there should be able to identify the type of material, and what is the proper repair procedure for it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If it were me I would just by new. Other than that on you get it where you want it put a couple of serrations across the joint with a soldering iron, or lay some fiber glass on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts