Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the pre M8 rushmore bikes you could get an actual oil pressure reading on the info screen. Now it just says 'OK" or check oil. Any way to get a pressure reading like the older models? I'm going to add an oil pressure gauge if not.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
On the pre M8 rushmore bikes you could get an actual oil pressure reading on the info screen. Now it just says 'OK" or check oil. Any way to get a pressure reading like the older models? I'm going to add an oil pressure gauge if not.
Why? If it’s OK....then it’s OK. It’s just one more thing to stare at while your trying to enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? If it’s OK....then it’s OK. It’s just one more thing to stare at while your trying to enjoy your ride.
Years of turning wrenches it is just what I do. I like to be able to check hot idle and cruise pressure from time to time.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Years of turning wrenches it is just what I do. I like to be able to check hot idle and cruise pressure from time to time.
On the one hand, I get it. I’m a full time wrench myself. But....on the other hand I don’t get it. It’s a new bike with a warranty. You’re not supposed to worry about that crap. Run it! If it breaks, let ‘em fix it.
Not trying to offend. Just conversating. Do what makes you happy, of course. Unfortunately I have only criticism for your plans......not an answer to your original question. Good luck though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
From what I understand, no, there is no way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There isn't, and it's stupid that they changed it. I want to know what the pressure is.
Buddy is a HD service manager. Lots of complaints about it, no fix.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
These engines are more about oil flow than oil pressure. It is not like many other engines especially car engines where oil pressure is more important. Plus the oil sending unit can go bad and give you a false reading when everything is fine anyway. Been there, done that. ALL of the other non fairing bikes don't have an oil pressure gauge and you just ride them. If you really need it then add the OP gauge and have at it but I think you are overthinking it and taking away from the reason you ride in the first place. Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
@RGKen you are dead on! The diesel engines today are about volume not pressure. I use to be that guy that thought you needed high pressure to fully lubricate but in all honesty the more pressure the better the chance of blowing a seal or gasket. Ill take volume over pressure any day. If its says OK then dont worry about it. That being said my really old outdated Rushmore bike has pressure readings and its a great tool to see fluctuation to tell if there is a problem or potential problem. So I guess what Im saying is deal with it and ride. If its not ok then you need to be concerned.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i was concerned about the lack of a gauge at first, too, but after reading about how the M8s CIRCULATE the oil for cooling purposes i don't see a problem. OK means OK

didn't somebody figure out a way to read oil temperature instead of ambient temperature though?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I heard they got rid of the pressure gauge because MOCO was getting too many calls. ugh

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I heard they got rid of the pressure gauge because MOCO was getting too many calls. ugh

May be some truth to that and in a way I don't blame them. In most, if not all cases, you will hear the lack of oil pressure as quick as you would see it on a gauge and in which case you would shut the engine down anyway. I get wanting to see what the pressure is but I'm not sure how reliable the readings are across the board. I don't think they are as consistent from bike to bike as we would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts