Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one. I currently have a KDCX998 and LOVE it, but it's not marine grade, and I'm thinking it got a little too wet last summer. I have a biketronics cover I use, but I got caught in some major downpours. The display sometimes either locks up or goes blank. So, I'm gonna see if I can get it covered under warranty. Not holding my breath, but I won't let them know it was on a bike. Anyway, the one I asked about is marine grade and has plenty of options. The main thing will be peace of mind when I get dumped on with rain again next summer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one. I currently have a KDCX998 and LOVE it, but it's not marine grade, and I'm thinking it got a little too wet last summer. I have a biketronics cover I use, but I got caught in some major downpours. The display sometimes either locks up or goes blank. So, I'm gonna see if I can get it covered under warranty. Not holding my breath, but I won't let them know it was on a bike. Anyway, the one I asked about is marine grade and has plenty of options. The main thing will be peace of mind when I get dumped on with rain again next summer.
I am about as big a BT fan as there is however that rain shield, not so much. Get you a rainshield from VTWIN Audio and get you another KDCX998 if need be. There's no comparison between those two head units. The problem with marine grade stuff is you wind up losing features and functionality not to mention the RCA outputs are only 2.5v vs 4v on the X998.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am about as big a BT fan as there is however that rain shield, not so much. Get you a rainshield from VTWIN Audio and get you another KDCX998 if need be. There's no comparison between those two head units. The problem with marine grade stuff is you wind up losing features and functionality not to mention the RCA outputs are only 2.5v vs 4v on the X998.
I was looking at that rainshield from VTWIN Audio. Looks much better, but does it keep out 100% of rain. I got caught at a redlight last summer in an absolute downpour. That's when I think my current unit got jacked up. I couldn't do a damn thing about it. I was miserable. Lol! Anyway, that's my fear again. Also, I'm pretty naive and new to audio. I don't know how many features I'd miss from the X998. Also, can you explain the RCA outputs? Thanks! BTW, I have Polk 6.5" speakers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if you'll never run an amp then the RCA outputs are unimportant. The higher the voltage out on RCAs the lower your amp gains need to be to match the output of the headunit which essentially boils down to less distortion.

On my batwing fairing, I can spray water directly on it and the water never gets to the headunit. Now I'm in no way saying it won't but that's my experience with it. And I too had a hard time swallowing that $89 pill but it's worked out perfectly for me. That one actually seals with a rubber surround to the fairing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you'll never run an amp then the RCA outputs are unimportant. The higher the voltage out on RCAs the lower your amp gains need to be to match the output of the headunit which essentially boils down to less distortion.

On my batwing fairing, I can spray water directly on it and the water never gets to the headunit. Now I'm in no way saying it won't but that's my experience with it. And I too had a hard time swallowing that $89 pill but it's worked out perfectly for me. That one actually seals with a rubber surround to the fairing.
Thanks for explaining the RCA's. An amp may be in my future. Looking at other parts for now, and I know that'd be an easy install. I might take a closer look at the splash cover. I like the fact it's sealed with rubber. Looking at it though, it's dome shaped. I wonder if it'd fit over the knob on the deck. I could always take it off. I never use it. But, thanks again for your help.
:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
about 90% of the time mine is on. I don't look at the faceplate of the radio, never did. I know what my hand controls do. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly! I know what song is playing. Lol! Maybe get a little watch to mount somewhere else. I like to keep track of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts