Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is using a regular GPS not a motorcycle specific GPS on their bike what brand you got and how do you find it works? I'm thinking of buying a regular none motorcycle specific Garmin 5 or 6 ince viewing area, Bluetooth capable. How do you keep it waterproof and what's it like to see in the bright sun. Those motorcycle specific GPS are way expensive. Please share some feedback on what some of you are using, brand, pros and cons.

Thanks
Cameron

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
If anyone is using a regular GPS not a motorcycle specific GPS on their bike what brand you got and how do you find it works? I'm thinking of buying a regular none motorcycle specific Garmin 5 or 6 ince viewing area, Bluetooth capable. How do you keep it waterproof and what's it like to see in the bright sun. Those motorcycle specific GPS are way expensive. Please share some feedback on what some of you are using, brand, pros and cons.

Thanks
Cameron
Yup, Garmin, a zip lock bag.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I do, I use a Garmin and it works fine but I can't get audio to go through the sound system. To be fair the Garmin I have is a older model and it's not bluetooth compatible but it works well if you look at the screen. You can buy cradles that are made for putting the GPS on the bike and they are pretty cheap. The Garmin is durable, it handles bumps and vibrations with no problem you just have to put it away if it rains.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I used Garmin for years then just switched to my cell phone and use google maps. I can listen to my playlists and get notified of turns as well. One device no worries.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I buy used Garmins off of eBay. You can usually get a decent one for $75. If it starts to rain, use a ziplock bag like someone else suggested and if it gets ruined you can still buy 5 or 6 more before even approaching the cost of one of those overpriced, motorcycle specific models. The one I am currently running has lasted over 3 seasons now and been through numerous road trips in various weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yup, Garmin, a zip lock bag.
+1. I just stuck the suction cup to the gas lid. No Bluetooth but worked great only problem wire chaffed my tank a little on my 13.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
+1. I just stuck the suction cup to the gas lid. No Bluetooth but worked great only problem wire chaffed my tank a little on my 13.
That's where I stick mine too. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
btdt. was a total waste of money imo. the screen didn't get bright enough to even see it in the daytime. if it rained, i would put a ziplock bag over it, and forget that it was even there. you couldn't see the screen through the bag.

i ended up buying a road tech zumo online for a good price (for a motorcycle specific unit, still higher than a car unit) but i have not regretted buying it once.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it. For those last few turns looking for an address, they work fine. If you rely on the GPS for every bit of information it offers, then you should get one designed for scooter use.

I've used a car type GPS for years. Mounter to the fairing with a Ram mount. With less than great results. Hard to see in the sun, and hard to hear the spoken commands over the scooter noise. But for drilling down into a neighborhood looking for an address is was better than nothing.

Recently, I got a Sena setup for the lid and now I can use the GPS on the phone, while the phone is in my pocket. When it's time to make a turn, I can hear the directions clearly.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I did the car Garmin/Ziplock bag deal for a while. It's ok but the best setup is to mount your phone and use Google Maps or Waze. A much better setup. If you have a bluetooth radio the voice prompts play through it or you can use the aux cable for sound with an older radio. You can even get an old Samsung Galaxy S5 for cheap online and use that without activating it. It's waterproof, big and the screen is really bright. You can downlaod your map regions to it in case you're ever in bad areas. I have one I use when it rains since my Note 5 isn't waterproof.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm running a Garmin 660 on an Iron Aces mount. I do not think this is a motorcycle specific GPS as it came with car equipment also. It is fairly easy to work and not too costly if I remember that right. Prior to this set up I ran my Galaxy phones on a Tech mount set up that others have brought up. Both mounts are seriously the cat's ass, just depends on what direction you want to go.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
yes, the 660 is motorcycle specific. but they do give you 'adapters' so that you can use it in your vehicle also. it's waterproof, vibration resistant, and does have a somewhat brighter screen to see on the bike.

it's also discontinued. used ones are getting harder to find. the replacement is the 590/595 series. if you get the garmin branded as opposed to the hd branded, you can also get the tpms valve caps to check your tire pressure on the go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Until I got the current bike, I used a Garmin. I wish I could remember the model number, but it came with free lifetime updates. It also received traffic alerts and could route you around traffic if you wanted that.

In a little local mom & pop motorcycle accessory store, I picked up a mount for it. It had a clear plastic front and a weather tight zipper. The Garmin fit nicely into it and never was damaged by riding in the rain. You couldn't hear the voice prompts, but I'd just look at the screen to see how far it was until I needed to turn.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I have the motorcycle specific Garmin 660 zumo that I use on my other bikes and in the truck.

It replaced a Garmin 765 nuvi car GPS that I used with a RAM mount. So glad I finally got the Zuma.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for replying. For those of you using your phone I do use my phone at times but you can't see the screen and man can it eat up data. I do download the maps to use of line at times. I guess like some of you said just listen to the directions from my phone by Bluetooth. I might have to try that.

Thanks again.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I've been using the Navigon App by Garmin on my Iphone for years now and love it.

I pair the phone with my Sena headset and can listen to tunes, communicate with other riders, hear the GPS and take/make calls if necessary, and for me it is.

On the Navigon app you can choose many options such as travel by car, truck, bicycle, pedestrian, etc. You can also choose type of route such as optimum, fast, short, scenic. You can break it down further to avoid Highways, Toll Roads, HOVS Lanes, Ferrys, Trains etc. and much more.

Navigon does not require cell phone service for it to work and the maps are very accurate. One less piece of equipment you need to pug in as well.

It works well for me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I use the infotainment GPS on my '17 RGS, but use a Garmin Nuvi 500 on my Honda. It and the Nuvi 550 are the only two in the Nuvi line that are waterproof, and are no longer made. You can find them on eBay now and then.

You can buy used Nuvis cheap on eBay. The 200W I use in my truck was $12, delivered.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts