1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have ridden 191 from Guthrie and Clifton, AZ through the Morenci mine up to Eagar, AZ and have also ridden 191 in several areas of Utah. The stretch from Clifton to Alpine is a great ride and not to be missed. From Eagar I rode to Show Low, Globe and into Scottsdale where one of my daughters lived at the time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've done the Coronado Trail several times running from Clifton to Alpine AZ. Consider taking off from Alpine heading east into New Mexico on Hwy 180 down to just past Glenwood then west on Hwy 78 to Hwy 191, north to Clifton then ride the trail back up to Alpine. Make sure you fuel up in Clifton. Watch for the mountain sheep on the north side of Clifton - they pretty much live along the hwy. And watch for the cattle crossing grates too. Alpine has a couple of motels and there is a decent camp ground just east of Alpine (Luna Lake Campground) Side trip in NM from Hwy 180 to Mogollon Ghost/mining town is well worth the time - paved road but very narrow & twisty - cut into mountainside - take it slow due to fallen rocks from the cliff side (no guard rail on the drop off side) - great scenery and light lunch available in town.

If you have the time it's worth it to make the ride in both directions for different scenes. Other fun roads from Alpine generally heading west: Alpine 191 to Eagar > 160 then 261 to Sunrise Park > 260 then 73 to Whiteriver then 60 to Globe. Also, Prescott to Jerome to Sedona and on is incredible too.

FWIW - I enjoyed the Coronado Trail much more than Tail of the Dragon but that's just me. Regardless - have fun

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It is an epic ride. Did it a few months ago with friends. Just be aware that there is about a 20 mile stretch of gravel you have to endure. Did the whole stretch from 4 corners to Tombstone. Definitely a ride to remember!
You sure you're not confusing the Coronado Trail with Apache Trail? There is an 'off road' section of the Apache Trail (route 88) from Tortilla Flat to the Roosevelt Dam (intersects with route 188), but that's not part of the Coronado Trail.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Last week

Rode it last week, from I-10 north to Eagar. It was in excellent condition with newish asphalt much of the way. There was no off road or dirt/gravel stretches anywhere in that approximately 200 mile run. There was some gravel and rocks on the road surface in a few turns though. Also saw a heard of deer on either side of the road at one point!! Yes it was a herd, at least a half dozen on each side of us within three feet of the road. It took about four hours to go from Clifton to Eagar. Lots of curves, lots of scenery, not many turnouts so you have to enjoy the view while you ride. Be careful! Highest elevation was 9,400 feet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rode it last week, from I-10 north to Eagar. It was in excellent condition with newish asphalt much of the way. There was no off road or dirt/gravel stretches anywhere in that approximately 200 mile run. There was some gravel and rocks on the road surface in a few turns though. Also saw a heard of deer on either side of the road at one point!! Yes it was a herd, at least a half dozen on each side of us within three feet of the road. It took about four hours to go from Clifton to Eagar. Lots of curves, lots of scenery, not many turnouts so you have to enjoy the view while you ride. Be careful! Highest elevation was 9,400 feet.
How was the temperature? Hit any freezing along the way?

·
Registered
743 Posts
How was the temperature? Hit any freezing along the way?
We left Tombstone at 9am and got into Show Low about 6pm. Temps along 191 were great, the coldest (daytime) was in the low 60's. It did freeze overnight in Show Low (6,400 ft). Ice/frost on my seat in the morning We left Show Low at 8:30am 40 degrees.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I really love that road. From Pinetop/Show Low down to Copper Canyon is just amazing. I've done it three of the last four years and we usually go over Memorial weekend in May. Still pretty cold at that time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I am getting pumped for it in Spring, maybe June would work!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Let me say this.
If you are ever in the area it's a must do ride. When I'm in PHX. I always make it a priority. Just remember you will reach altitudes of 11K feet so bring proper equipment. I ride out of PHX. depending on were you start from it is a 500+mi. round trip. makes for a great day ride.
Makes the Dragon look like a waste of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts