Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are considering a CC50 ride from NC to L.A.. the rules seem strict and I understand why, but do they impede on the ride? How long did it take you to complete?

I envision eating Aleve for breakfast, lunch & dinner, but I think this would be a great ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A friend and I are considering a CC50 ride from NC to L.A.. the rules seem strict and I understand why, but do they impede on the ride? How long did it take you to complete?

I envision eating Aleve for breakfast, lunch & dinner, but I think this would be a great ride.
How about a 100CCC cert? SFO > JAX > SD, 99:46 hours. First leg took 48 hours, 7 hours rest in JAX, and 44 hours to SD. On long rides, I take 600mg Ibuprofen for breakfast, then 400mg for lunch that helps with the knife in the back syndrome. I'll avoid carbohydrates until evening time when I want to sleep. Light road food during the day, jerky and nuts, mostly. Then a cheeseburger for dinner. I'd advise any new long distance riders to know their limits, esp. regarding drowsiness, you want to be alert at ALL times, but esp. at night!

What works for me is at the the first sign of drowsiness (nodding or speed fluctuations over 5mph), I'll pull over ASAP and set an alarm for a 20m power nap. Get back on the bike and if within one hour, I start to nod off again, I'll try a 40m nap. Get back on the bike again and repeat up until a 60m nap is required. I'm usually ok after that. And next morning, with a shower, fresh as a daisy.

Avoid cities during rush hour, and take evening breaks on the far end of town so you're heading away from traffic in the morning. Have a good set of lights to watch for deer at dawn and dusk.

Since a 50CC is known as an IBA Extreme ride, I'd suggest riders warm up to it by doing at least one SS1K, and probably a BBG, 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. New to long-distance riders should, at a minimum, read IBA's 26 Tips for Long-Distance Motorcycling, Iron Butt Association - "Worlds Toughest Riders"

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about a 100CCC cert? SFO > JAX > SD, 99:46 hours. First leg took 48 hours, 7 hours rest in JAX, and 44 hours to SD. On long rides, I take 600mg Ibuprofen for breakfast, then 400mg for lunch that helps with the knife in the back syndrome. I'll avoid carbohydrates until evening time when I want to sleep. Light road food during the day, jerky and nuts, mostly. Then a cheeseburger for dinner. I'd advise any new long distance riders to know their limits, esp. regarding drowsiness, you want to be alert at ALL times, but esp. at night!

What works for me is at the the first sign of drowsiness (nodding or speed fluctuations over 5mph), I'll pull over ASAP and set an alarm for a 20m power nap. Get back on the bike and if within one hour, I start to nod off again, I'll try a 40m nap. Get back on the bike again and repeat up until a 60m nap is required. I'm usually ok after that. And next morning, with a shower, fresh as a daisy.

Avoid cities during rush hour, and take evening breaks on the far end of town so you're heading away from traffic in the morning. Have a good set of lights to watch for deer at dawn and dusk.

Since a 50CC is known as an IBA Extreme ride, I'd suggest riders warm up to it by doing at least one SS1K, and probably a BBG, 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. New to long-distance riders should, at a minimum, read IBA's 26 Tips for Long-Distance Motorcycling, Iron Butt Association - "Worlds Toughest Riders"

Good luck!!!
I have been on several long rides with some Buckeye friends.. I rode to Key West from corpus and I just got back to Corpus Christi to Las Vegas to CC, tx.. Rode 974 miles on the last day in 17 hrs 25 min.. I was physically tired, but mentally alert. Aleve IS the only reason I made it that far.. are the rules for the ride too cumbersome? Or is it manageable?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't make any changes to the bike just before the ride. DAMHIKT! 0:)
Haha.. ok.. that's good advice.. I got this 2016 FLTRU recently, besides decatting it I have no further interest in modifying it.. I enjoy the peace & quiet and this 2016 stock definitely has more power than my stock 2011 Ultra Limited.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been on several long rides with some Buckeye friends.. I rode to Key West from corpus and I just got back to Corpus Christi to Las Vegas to CC, tx.. Rode 974 miles on the last day in 17 hrs 25 min.. I was physically tired, but mentally alert. Aleve IS the only reason I made it that far.. are the rules for the ride too cumbersome? Or is it manageable?
No more cumbersome than a SS1K, if you've done that. End and finish witnesses, gas receipts with time and mileage. Read the rules here: 50cc

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
also according to IBA rules , you have to do the 1000 in 24 before you can do the more extreme rides .. And a side note from someone who has been doing extreme distance rides for longer than lots here have been breathing : Overdoing it and pushing yourself to the limit or beyond isn't worth a piece of paper , if you see you may not be able to do it and are very close to finishing .. Live another day ..

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
also according to IBA rules , you have to do the 1000 in 24 before you can do the more extreme rides .. And a side note from someone who has been doing extreme distance rides for longer than lots here have been breathing : Overdoing it and pushing yourself to the limit or beyond isn't worth a piece of paper , if you see you may not be able to do it and are very close to finishing .. Live another day ..
That's sound advice.

I've done 5 of the SS1k. But for charity. Not the cert. I just wanted to do it and figured I could raise some money. Haven't done one in 2 years. I should. My best time was 16 hours. I ate once. I was fine the entire ride.

My charity goes to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Cheyennes fund. It's a fund for parents who cannot afford to get there. It's used for Hotels, food and travel expenses.

My niece Cheyenne has had leukemia 2 times. Last one was the worst. Bone marrow transplant and all. She's been ok. It's been 3 years. She was first diagnosed at 6 years old. She's 13 now.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I have ridden from sunrise to sunset, day after day, but that usually only gets me 600 miles at the most since I stick to 2 lane and non-interstate highways.

Endurance riding is like any sport. It takes training and preparedness to do it safely. Riding with a partner, adds safety, but also complications if your not compatible on when fuel and rest stops are needed.

Have you read all the preparedness literature at the IBA website? Are you prepared for the increased risk of riding between dusk and dawn? Have you adapted your diet and caffeine addiction so you don't have to stop as often?

Fortunately I was in my truck at the time, but I left out of Lubbock, TX before sunrise with plans to drive the 1000 miles home in one day. Heading east at 80 mph on US 82. In a valley, I spotted the first deer and tested my abs brakes. It passed in front of me and somehow the second one didn't slam into the side of my truck. I would have been shitting bricks had I been on the bike.

By the time the sun rose I lost count of the critters I saw on the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

No I haven't done it but I have to think it would most definitely take something away from the enjoyment of the ride. I'll ride coast to coast soon myself but I'd like to see some cool places along the way and enjoy some of the smaller winding roads across the country. Interstate is sooooo boring for me. The only time I'll use it is if I have a deadline or don't have enough time to cross cross my way through a state on both legs of my trip. If it's just for a piece of paper I can make you up a pretty sticker that says "NC to LA in....who gives a shit how many hours" 😁 Just my opinion sir. Take it for what's it's worth. Either way I hope you enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
On today's Motorcycles what is so hard about riding 1000 miles in 24 hours? I can understand health issues getting in the way for some. But other wise it is just not a big deal anymore. 700-800 miles days are not uncommon two up with the wife even at over 60 years old. And there is still plenty of time to stop and eat . Now if you were doing this on a 1970's hard tail. Different story.
Dave Zien did it for 30 days in a row , another rider did it for like 33 days just to beat him.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
A friend of mine is a distance rider. He puts on the miles but sees nothing. His last ride was the four corners in 3 weeks. It was a story of hardship, overcoming obstacles, and 10 minute naps in rest areas with full gear still in place.

Not my kind of enjoyment. I enjoyed taking 6 years of trips to tour every state in the lower 48.

Look up the top 100 motorcycle roads and start checking them off.

I have ridden at least 40 of them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I haven't done it but I have to think it would most definitely take something away from the enjoyment of the ride. I'll ride coast to coast soon myself but I'd like to see some cool places along the way and enjoy some of the smaller winding roads across the country. Interstate is sooooo boring for me. The only time I'll use it is if I have a deadline or don't have enough time to cross cross my way through a state on both legs of my trip. If it's just for a piece of paper I can make you up a pretty sticker that says "NC to LA in....who gives a shit how many hours" 😁 Just my opinion sir. Take it for what's it's worth. Either way I hope you enjoy your ride.
Since I live in Tx, I can lollygag all the way to the east coast.. once I arrive in Kalifornia I can lollygag all the way back home. I've seen all these places before, with my family, in a car.. I just thought it would be a lot of fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts