Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my new to me FXR (custom build S&S 124 Baker 6 speed etc etc) I had my rear wheel lock up on me a little over a week ago on the way home from work. Road Rash and a broken wrist are my rewards for this situation which I cannot explain.

I am unable to make it in to work and will be off at least another week but I can type. I broke my right wrist (right handed) and sustained seriously nasty road rash. Yes my jacket was bungeed to my handle bars. Lesson learned.

It has been 15 years since my last wreck and I have enver broken a bone before.

So, your thoughts on what could cause this. I NEVER use my rear brake unless I am about to hit something. No one else was involved in this only me. The guy who was driving behind me told me the rear wheel locked and down I went.

I have ruled out the rear brake. At first the bike would not roll after it was picked up but after fucking with it fora while I got it to roll. It is at a buddies shop and all seems fine although he has not dug in yet.

Wheel bearings? Low mileage of 3500 or so although this was built on 04. Transmission? Baker 6 speed OD shifts super smooth? I need to figure this out as I cannot get thrown off again for no reason. That is what gets me the most about this,jsut lock up and down I go. I have been riding many years and pride myself on my abilities commuting in rush hour LA traffic daily.

Should have ridden the road glide that day. Oh well. Your thoughts are appreciated and if u need help I am a little slower than usual due to the wreck. I Am Doing what I can from home but really do miss work.

Drew

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
wow Drew that's scary. Sorry this happened , it sucks but thank God you were able to walk away from a situation that could have been much worse. My fist thought would have been caliper seized up but you ruled that out, second would be worn wheel bearings. I wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
sorry you went down! you say you checked the brakes but that would be my guess, I had a buddy have the same thing happen while we were on the highway, the brakes had frozen solid, we released the banjo and finally were able to get it rolling, you could see the heat on the rotors I would inspect them.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Wow Drew that sucks big time. Glad you didn't have other more serious injuries to deal with .. or worse. Glad to hear your on them mend. Based on what you've described the first thing I thought was maybe you ran over something. Something could've gotten stuck between the wheel and fender or in the belt.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
That's sucks, did you stain your shorts ? I bet it's in the trans, that or primary. If it we're the primary, doubt it would of broke loose. Only two things I can think of if you didn't hit the brakes.
God speed on healing up.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've had my rear brake lock up enough to stop me in the middle of the road. You couldn't move it with the engine. The problem was the relief port in the rear master cylinder. There are 2 ports. The relief port is very small and hard to see. The fluid gradually heats up from the friction generated by the pads on the rotor. If it cannot expand back into the master cylinder, than it will apply your brakes. I think your relief port is clogged. Might as well flush your entire brake system while you're at it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Check the brake fluid in the rear master and caliper, if there's moisture in the system, and if any part of it is too close to the exhaust, the water can boil and spike the pressure in the system making the caliper clamp down on the rotor.
And, by the time you get yourself dusted off and the bike picked up, the problem can simply go away as things cool down.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Too bad, glad you didn't get hurt worse. That happened to me in '94 on a heritage. Rear wheel bearing froze and spun the axle in the swingarm slots. Luckily, I didn't go down. Thought maybe they tourqued the rear axle nut with an air gun when the rear tire was replaced not long before that.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Drew,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad its not any worse. Hopefully you determine what the cause is and get it corrected .

Bill

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Bummer! You're lucky you didn't get hurt worse then you did.
Since you don't use the back brake you can rule that out, so there are only a few things that could lock up the rear wheel, it could be the rear wheel bearing failure but there are usually sign of them going out way before they would get bad enough to lock up the wheel.
You could have pick up some debris and have it wedge in between the belt and one of the pulleys. The only other things it could be the trans or primary unless the engine locked up. Hope you find the problem and it is a simple fix.
How much damage was done to the bike when it went down and will your insurance cover the repairs???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry for your incident and glad you walked away.

We're you able to grab the clutch before the bike went down? Moisture in rear brake system, bad wheel bearings, or driveline issue. If not that then debris hung up somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts