Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new 2022 RG at a local dealer. Really like the bike but there is an annoying whistle that starts irregardless of wind direction, gear, other vehicles around or all to yourself. You do not need to be using the throttle to accelerate, it happens consistently at the mph listed. You can get up to speed and glide, or pull in the clutch and it still does it.
Go above 66 mph or below 62 mph and it's nonexistent.
You can hear it with a helmet on or off.

The shop manager and master mechanic rode the bike and both agree it's there and as described.

During mult rides I placed my left hand along all areas of the stock windscreen, and put my left hand in every position possible to see if I could cancel out the whistle but nothing worked.

Today the shops mechanics tried anything they could think off and found nothing to work. I'm not sure if they removed the windshield and rode to see. They do not have any other shield in stock that fits the RG.

The sales person spoke with me today and told me they filled the vents taped off areas but nothing worked.
The sales person Told me another RG owner of a 2021 was there today and his has the same issue and he finally just accepted it.

I've been ready to buy this RG since last week but not without resolving this issue first. Going 100 miles with this noise would be nuts.

Told the sales person I have the skills and background in airplanes to possibly figure this out if they will let me. I can round smooth the edges of the screen and the two small micro screens on the sides. I have some knowledge of doing wind tunnel tests and can apply that to looking the bike over and attempting a few things that will not damage anything. He has to ask the shop manager tomorrow as he was off today.

Anyone experience this sort of thing on your RG and if so what corrected it.

Thank you for any suggestion/help.
d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Meant to add the following. It "sounds" like it's coming from the right upper windscreen. These types of things can be coming from anywhere though. But it's definitely registering with me from the right upper area.

It may be some small leading edge on the fairing, or that open vent. If they allow me I can tape off area by area wherever there is an edge. Wish they had another windscreen to try but they do not. I did open and close the windscreen vent while it was happening but that did nothing.

I adjusted the right side mirror all over but no change.

d

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
First thing I would have asked was if I can ride the other guy's 2021 and actually verify it was there. Second I would ask them what other 2022's they have or are getting and compare. Usually that type of noise is related to something on the fairing like one of the vents or the windscreen. I would make them do the work and doubt they will let you do it but you never know.
Maybe try going to a different dealer and riding one of theirs, you definitely need another comparative.

·
Premium Member
2017 RGS
180 Posts
FWIW Had similar thing going on on my 17. I loosened right side grip and turned it a few degrees and eliminated rhe whistle. I had a time finding the source & it turned out to be the way the air came across the controls on that side. I was putting my hand over everything I could reach. Weird but true.

·
Registered
2012 big blue pearl r.g. custom,chris rivas 574 cams. Rinehart extreme 4" RSD air cleaner barrnett c
323 Posts
The wind whistles between my ears so much.I cant tell if its me or something on the bike

Glenn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW Had similar thing going on on my 17. I loosened right side grip and turned it a few degrees and eliminated rhe whistle. I had a time finding the source & it turned out to be the way the air came across the controls on that side. I was putting my hand over everything I could reach. Weird but true.
i can believe that. these types of small issues can be such a little thing and its the needle in the haystack find, literally sometimes. i appreciate your reply and its something i'll do if they allow me to work on the issue myself.

i do remember years ago a noise issue took a while for a very good mechanic to find, it ended up being the hole in the front axle. he rotated the axle so the retraction hole was perpendicular and the noise disappeared.

d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First thing I would have asked was if I can ride the other guy's 2021 and actually verify it was there. Second I would ask them what other 2022's they have or are getting and compare. Usually that type of noise is related to something on the fairing like one of the vents or the windscreen. I would make them do the work and doubt they will let you do it but you never know.
Maybe try going to a different dealer and riding one of theirs, you definitely need another comparative.
excellent thought with all this.
they do not have another RG but i will check to see what may be coming in. this is a small shop with a larger sister shop about 2 hrs away. this local shop has sold all new bikes they had, this RG being the last one left. i think they only have 5 used bikes left now also. i'm going to go by there tomorrow or next day and ask the mechanics what all they did so i have a base to start with.

i like this bike a lot. i've ridden 2 used bikes and one other new one they had and nothing had me going for my wallet until i sat, then road, this RG. didn't even have a RG on my wish list. this is black and chrome and a Special. it doesn't have the stretch bags-just the standard. i think it was ordered for a man who had intentions of running a 2-in-1 exhaust and he wanted the reg bags. i like how it looks and it rides great............except for that small whistle. i has to be something very small thats just creating the perfect storm with the air flow.

d

i'll so some research and see if i can find another shop with a RG in stock thats within a distance i can make in a day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My bike (2019) whistles around this speed as well. I've got the closeable vents and nothing seems to work... well louder pipes, and riding faster seems to have worked fine for me. I don't really cruise at this speed so it's a non factor for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bike (2019) whistles around this speed as well. I've got the closeable vents and nothing seems to work... well louder pipes, and riding faster seems to have worked fine for me. I don't really cruise at this speed so it's a non factor for me.
thanks for the reply.

does yours appear to be on the right side as well?
did you ever replace the stock windscreen and use a different height or shape? if so, did it make a change?

and as you mentioned, if i go on past 66 it stops immediately. unfortunately i am in Va and Tn often and the State Troopers from each state will pull and ticket if you are nearing 70 in a 65. so low to mid 60's are the sweet safe spot where i ride a lot.

i'll also remove the right mirror on a test ride to see if that changes matters. it might be the mirror shape at the right position with that 62-66 mph speed that comes off the fairing or windscreen and hits that mirror shape and creates the noise. lots to investigate.

d

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mirror would be a good guess… I changed the windshield (same height but slightly different curve) but I still get it.
Too bad about those troopers- 65 posted= 80 for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you considered your helmet and possibly the shield? Might try riding without a helmet or different one just to see if the noise is still there. I have a 22 RG ( no whistle) and recently bought a new helmet and it has no front vents and is the quietest helmet I have ever owned, an HJC I-5, 3/4 helmet with flip down visor shield.

·
Super Moderator
11,729 Posts
@darylcrisp Here are two threads, from Our Great Forum, on "The Subject".
I hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you considered your helmet and possibly the shield? Might try riding without a helmet or different one just to see if the noise is still there. I have a 22 RG ( no whistle) and recently bought a new helmet and it has no front vents and is the quietest helmet I have ever owned, an HJC I-5, 3/4 helmet with flip down visor shield.
I did try 3 helmets the 1st day I test rode, then no helmet, noise still there at same mph.
Last night I found a lot of old posts from 2011 and on thru the years to current on this forum and they were all reporting similar to my experience.
One man rotated the front axle to change the extraction hole, quite a few loosened the windscreen screws and pushed the screen down and back while tightening the screws, a few found a space under the front headlights and fairing and taped that off or stuffed foam from the inside, one or two removed some screen covers that used to come on the two big vents, one man eventually wrapped a small metal area of the fairing frame mount somewhere in the front and under the fairing with water pipe foam and it fixed his. So a lot of good things to investigate.
I'm going to go by the shop today/tomorrow to look at all these areas. If I can find/fix the issue I'll buy this bike.
Keep suggestions coming.
Thanks to everyone for help with this
d

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I have a 19 and have heard this noise exactly 1 time. I was at Sturgis last year and was riding without a helmet and the radio off. I'm sure it does it all the time I just never hear it because I've only ridden this bike 1 time without a helmet and the radio off at the right speed to make it happen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did try 3 helmets the 1st day I test rode, then no helmet, noise still there at same mph.
Last night I found a lot of old posts from 2011 and on thru the years to current on this forum and they were all reporting similar to my experience.
One man rotated the front axle to change the extraction hole, quite a few loosened the windscreen screws and pushed the screen down and back while tightening the screws, a few found a space under the front headlights and fairing and taped that off or stuffed foam from the inside, one or two removed some screen covers that used to come on the two big vents, one man eventually wrapped a small metal area of the fairing frame mount somewhere in the front and under the fairing with water pipe foam and it fixed his. So a lot of good things to investigate.
I'm going to go by the shop today/tomorrow to look at all these areas. If I can find/fix the issue I'll buy this bike.
Keep suggestions coming.
Thanks to everyone for help with this
d
Just go buy the damn thing! This little annoyance is easily outweighed by the enjoyment it provides.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looking at a new 2022 RG at a local dealer. Really like the bike but there is an annoying whistle that starts irregardless of wind direction, gear, other vehicles around or all to yourself. You do not need to be using the throttle to accelerate, it happens consistently at the mph listed. You can get up to speed and glide, or pull in the clutch and it still does it.
Go above 66 mph or below 62 mph and it's nonexistent.
You can hear it with a helmet on or off.

The shop manager and master mechanic rode the bike and both agree it's there and as described.

During mult rides I placed my left hand along all areas of the stock windscreen, and put my left hand in every position possible to see if I could cancel out the whistle but nothing worked.

Today the shops mechanics tried anything they could think off and found nothing to work. I'm not sure if they removed the windshield and rode to see. They do not have any other shield in stock that fits the RG.

The sales person spoke with me today and told me they filled the vents taped off areas but nothing worked.
The sales person Told me another RG owner of a 2021 was there today and his has the same issue and he finally just accepted it.

I've been ready to buy this RG since last week but not without resolving this issue first. Going 100 miles with this noise would be nuts.

Told the sales person I have the skills and background in airplanes to possibly figure this out if they will let me. I can round smooth the edges of the screen and the two small micro screens on the sides. I have some knowledge of doing wind tunnel tests and can apply that to looking the bike over and attempting a few things that will not damage anything. He has to ask the shop manager tomorrow as he was off today.

Anyone experience this sort of thing on your RG and if so what corrected it.

Thank you for any suggestion/help.
d
See post 12 BH#103... Try rotating the axle, sometimes the two small holes in the right side in conjunction with the end hole depending on orientation will whistle at certain speeds; this has been addressed before but I don't know the conclusion.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Use to hear it......but then I stopped riding while standing up with my mouth open and the whistling came outta my ass...sat down...whistle went away

1 - 20 of 28 Posts