Road Glide banner

Anyone gone through cam upgrade with FP3?

34K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Gotchu99 
#1 ·
I am looking for real world experience from anyone that has changed out their cams and used an FP3 as their tuner. I know that V&H is great about working with you to develop a map for your bike to run well, and they have told me they have developed profiles for the cam I am considering, but I am just wanting to talk to anyone that may have been where I am now.

I know that the FP3 is not the best solution for anything past stage one, and I know there are better tuners out there (including getting the bike dynoed), but that is just not in the cards right now. Sure I will be leaving some HP and TQ on the table by not having it dynoed with a Powervision etc, but all I care about is butt dyno and noticeable performance gains in my day-to-day riding. If my FP3 can get me by until I can afford a different tuner, a road trip to a dyno and all that's involved, then great! But if it is going to turn my bike into a hot mess, then I will just skip the cam change idea all together.

#2 ·
I helped a buddy of mine with his Stage 4 install and he already had an FP3 so he wanted to keep using it versus buying a new tuner. Once he was done with the engine work, he called V&H, while he was near the bike and bluetoothed to the the FP3, and they pulled his existing map and uploaded a new one to it.

#3 ·
Just last week I used my FP3 to change my tune when I swapped cams from SE 289s to S&S 585GE. My previous tune was 'tweaked' by V&H, as the previous owner's tune was just okay after the 110" upgrade to the motor. I went into the FP3 tune, changed teh cam, turned off my ACRs, and took it on a 1.5 hour test ride and it ripped along, no backfire, great throttle response. So, if you are wondering if it is easy to use the FP3 for new cams, then yes, it sure does the job well.

Reactions: macabra11
#4 ·
My dealer is gonna try mine after the cam goes in.

#5 ·
When is that happening? Are they going to use a dyno or just the FP3 canned maps?

#9 ·
Just a suggestion: Wait until you have the funds for a TTS or PV tuner and a dyno tune for the cam change. Do it all at once. Im the first person to try and save some coin but not when I did my engine mods. There really is no replacement for a quality dyno tune. I considered it part of the cost of the mods.
Im lucky enough to have a really good tuner about 20min away, I know not everyone has somebody this close.
Its not always about squeezing every drop of power out of it, although its nice to know you didn't leave any on the table. More so that the motor is running properly.
Just my suggestion and opinion

#11 ·
I am curious, when will the time become upon us that the V&H tuning is considered 'a proper tune'? I know it has not been the common software of tuners in the past, but I see no reason why it cannot become a 'regular' and accepted tuner in the future. They are now offering 'Pro" versions for shops, but most shops use other software that they prefer to sell, as it is 'the way we have always done it'. Being in sales, change is certain. Good service will profit those that invest into their customers. V&H seems to be in it for the long haul.

Reactions: Caveman
#12 ·
Call V&H support and talk with them. They have great customer service. I had the FP3 when I first did the 124 and got in touch with V&H to see what they recommended. They told me that they could set me up with a map to use to break the motor in but recommended to get a better tuner as it wouldn't really be good enough for my motor. Obviously doing cams isn't the same thing I did but my point is they were very helpful and are willing to work with you.

#13 ·
I called Fuelmoto, Cyclerama and V&H to discuss this idea of a cam swap with all of them. I got a different story from every one of them, that is why I wanted to talk to real people that have actually done this. Fuelmoto was all about the Powervision and their canned maps and "oh by the way, it's on sale for the low low price of...". Cyclerama was great to talk to, but they are in their little world and had no idea that VH had a new FP Pro and said their cams were too "wacky" for VH, and that they wouldn't have a profile for them. VH said that they most certainly had a map for the cams I'm looking at (570-2) and have produced lots of maps using those cams. Basically I got the same information over the phone that I've been getting over the internet, which is that everyone has a different opinion and theirs is the right one. That leaves a consumer with a lot of BS to cut through.

Reactions: rlaf75
#16 ·
Did mine about 3-4 months ago. It was a nightmare to get the correct tune as there was 2 people who I talked to who didn't know crap about the cam I went with. Finially complained on hdforums and one of their main tech guys contacted me and got me the right map. Only thing is my dam parking light which should only come on for trikes is on 100% of the time. From what I found online I have to reset the main fuse but other than that the tune works great. I haven't auto tuned yet, did 300-400 miles and then its been apart in my garage for the last 2-3 months for body upgrades and audio build.

#17 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I might be holding off on the cams after all. I finally got around to calling a couple of the indy shops local to me, and didn't get the warm and fuzzies when talking to them. Neither one had ever even HEARD of Cyclerama before, and they both seemed pretty set in their ways and what parts they wanted to use. They both eventually conceded that they'd put in whatever I wanted, but they'd charge more for bringing in my own parts. That's fine, I get that they are losing money on parts sales, but it doesn't instill much confidence that these folks would be working on my bike... especially at $90/hr for 6 hrs. I don't want to spend the time and money doing the cam change, then some issue pops up and I have no local support. I'm still mulling it over, but now the support from V&H is the least of my worries! lol

#20 ·
I just did this. Here is my backstory summerized.

16 RGU did fuelmoto powerpack, stage 1 with FP3. Ran it this was from 2017 to just last week. I loved the connection with phone, and for what I needed it fit the bill. Autotune took awhile to get dialed in, but bike has run strong....and cool, but mileage sucked. City would ave 150-180 per tank. Hwy 210-230 depending on winds and my chosen speed.

I was doing what you are doing researching, and pros and cons of tuners. I pulled trigger on Cyclerama 570-2 and PV from Fuelmoto. Took me an afternoon and a few beers and I was up and running. Loaded the PV map and went for test ride. Bike is strong, and ran great. Ran 3 autotune sessions and it is even more dialed in. Finishing first tank of gas, city commuting and already at 170 with over 1/4 tank left.

I was initially going to set this tune, and then put my FP3 and try and reset to tune with FP3. But the bike is so good now, I do not want to mess it up. I can maybe answer any direct questions you have. I only have a weeks worth of seat time and hoping to ride to the coast this weekend so highway riding will be done.

Sorry for the long post.

#18 ·
Well here is something for you to read since you may be putting on the brakes on your cam upgrade.

#19 ·
I'm looking at adding a Reaper 543 cam to my 2016 RG and a Fuelpak Pro (wideband sensors) to go along with my FP3 for better tuning. My question is, anyone have experience with the Fuelpak Pro and your thoughts?

#21 ·
I went with the Harley stage 2 torque cam and FP3 since I already had it from my stage 1. My bike is an 18 RGS and when I got the torque cam V&H did not have the cam listed. I emailed them and they sent a Cam map through the app. I ran that for about 2 years no issues. The bike pulled and felt great. I recently discovered you could removed the governor from the bike and ref lashed it with the listed Cam. I didn’t like the way the bike felt and it threw a couple codes. I once again sent V&H an email and got another map that I’m happy with! No issues for a couple weeks! I’m also running V&H power duals and hi output exhaust. My setup is good for me and that’s saying a lot because I was coming off an hayabusa before getting a Harley. This is my second Harley. The first was an all V&H setup but only stage 1. Just my opinion. They are good quality.

#22 ·
I went thru it.. I couldn't get it to tune right, even after V&H tech tried to held x 2. Said F it and got a dyno Jet with target tune.

#23 ·
Mine was painless and got a great tune from them in mere minutes , runs a lot cooler ..
I wonder why they want you to contact them to do the cam change with the J1850 four pin .
Tech who did mine ( we did it on chat ) said nothing changed except them putting them cam in , but I know the fuel tables had to change , so that may have been automatic once it sees the cam change ..

JtB

#26 ·
As of now with TX heat starting to get up there, I am noticing temps are a little lower, and heat on legs are not so bad on 90* temps riding home from work.

I can definitely tell you the tune sent by Fuelmoto was great, and got better after 3 autotune sessions. I will do another 1 when it is peak summer to see if I can keep commuting temps in the 215 range.

#27 ·
I am looking for real world experience from anyone that has changed out their cams and used an FP3 as their tuner. I know that V&H is great about working with you to develop a map for your bike to run well, and they have told me they have developed profiles for the cam I am considering, but I am just wanting to talk to anyone that may have been where I am now.

I know that the FP3 is not the best solution for anything past stage one, and I know there are better tuners out there (including getting the bike dynoed), but that is just not in the cards right now. Sure I will be leaving some HP and TQ on the table by not having it dynoed with a Powervision etc, but all I care about is butt dyno and noticeable performance gains in my day-to-day riding. If my FP3 can get me by until I can afford a different tuner, a road trip to a dyno and all that's involved, then great! But if it is going to turn my bike into a hot mess, then I will just skip the cam change idea all together.
My bike runs like shit after I cammed it with S&S 585, I remapped with the map they said to use! I need to call them I think!

#28 ·

Update on this oldish post

I have 07 FXDB TBR Turnout 2:1 exhaust, Arlen Ness big sucker, FP3 and recently installed TW555 cams. The FP3 had the TW555 cam map preload to flash to bike. After I flashed to bike it road like CRAP, sputter, loss of power, stalls out. I contacted Vances and Hines and they recommended a "real tune". Well if I knew this was not a "real tune" that can be tuned to my cams as advertised I wouldn't have bought it. Now im stuck w this crap that's paired to my bike so I can't sell it to fund new tuner purchase. Hopefully this helps someone make a informed decision before making a BIG costly mistake like I did. I

#30 · (Edited)
Another Experience:

On 5/15/22, I upgraded to TW222 cams on my 2016 FLTRU (Rinehart Xtreme True Duals, Rinehart 4" Slip Ons, Screamin Eagle Ventilator, No O2 sensors) and used the FP3 to update my map. Bike is running great (extremely well!!) and I will reach out to V&H in a couple of weeks to send them my map to see if anything can be optimized.

The FP3 is a tool and works like any other flash tuner. I would never - in all my days, expect a flash tuner to work as well as a dyno tuned bike. The process is completely different as are the results.

Perhaps a little more research on narrow-band and wide-band, flash-tuners and piggyback tuners, ECM replacement tuners, and dyno tuning would be a prudent move for anyone making an "informed decision".

At the end of the day, you own the decision - not the guy who convinced you to buy Brand XX.
The FP3 works for many but it IS NOT a panacea.

#31 ·
I have the fp3 with ss cam. I had bike dyno'd to see how 'off' it was. The air fuel isn't linear like it should be. Fp3 can't come close to what a dyno tune will do. Unfortunately at bike week they didn't have time to do a tune for me. But my bike rips. Doesn't backfire and makes really decent power. I will pay the 700 for a real tuner and get the bike as perfect it as it can be. But do I have to? Absolutely not. I have zero complaints on how it runs now . I honestly could leave it as is for duration I own it. But of course I won't.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.