Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in learning about your experience with the Deuce, especially if you're 6'2 - 6''3 and over 250, but I'll take any actual experience rather than "my 3rd cousin on my mother's side used to have one". Have been looking around still trying to figure out if my next bike is going to be a much lighter, more agile around town and day trip bike when the RG becomes too much.

I happen to run across a very low mileage F.I. 2002 Deuce. He's asking too much for it but the bike only has 4,800 original miles on it, and it looks better than stock. It's stock except for V&H 2/1, tuner, and AC, and braided lines. It's immaculate, one owner. How did it ride? Is the stock suspension as bad as our RGs? How about the comfort factor - can you ride 3-4 hours without needing a chiropractor? I've never owned a bike with forward controls so I have no clue how comfortable or uncomfortable that is. Probably not interested in buying until I'm closer to getting off the RG, but am still trying to figure out what might be an appropriate around town/day ride bike. I'm 6'3" /280.

Reactions: GmaninAZ

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
You won't like the forward controls on anything over an hr . I got Forward controls on the fxr. They were doable yrs back but not so much as I got old. Good for short rides though.
Besides that it's a good platform. The TC 88 was a solid engine and trans. About the same as my 05 Deluxe except for the smaller front end and taller wheel.
You will have to change cam chain tentioner out around 25 k . The moco used springs back then . They just didn't hold up well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'd be interested in learning about your experience with the Deuce, especially if you're 6'2 - 6''3 and over 250, but I'll take any actual experience rather than "my 3rd cousin on my mother's side used to have one". Have been looking around still trying to figure out if my next bike is going to be a much lighter, more agile around town and day trip bike when the RG becomes too much.

I happen to run across a very low mileage F.I. 2002 Deuce. He's asking too much for it but the bike only has 4,800 original miles on it, and it looks better than stock. It's stock except for V&H 2/1, tuner, and AC, and braided lines. It's immaculate, one owner. How did it ride? Is the stock suspension as bad as our RGs? How about the comfort factor - can you ride 3-4 hours without needing a chiropractor? I've never owned a bike with forward controls so I have no clue how comfortable or uncomfortable that is. Probably not interested in buying until I'm closer to getting off the RG, but am still trying to figure out what might be an appropriate around town/day ride bike. I'm 6'3" /280.
For me, not a 3-4 hr ride at all especially now. I "tolerated" it 20 yrs ago. The brakes and skinny front tire I was never confident with (especially the brakes). Not a lot of cornering clearance... An around town bike for sure, Twin Cam B a good motor, didn't shake like a dog shietin' razor blades, actually pretty smooth. The suspension was okay for around town..... My 2 cents; look for a Dyna, put a pair of RS-1 shocks on it, and Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators in the forks and have fun!

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have owned a Heritage Softail. Not a great long distance bike, but you have a RG for that.
The term Softail is a euphemism. They have much less suspension than you're used to and the Deuce has less weight.
If you have spinal issues - I'd stick to bigger Harleys.
Actually if I do a lighter bike it would be because I've decided to get off the RG for good. At 70, I'm really starting to feel the consequences of the life I lived when I was younger, family genetics, and the miles on my body. I'm not giving up the RG until I decide I need to, but that's likely to be in the next year or two so I'm trying to look at options for a much lighter, more agile bike.

Reactions: DanHappy and Zedbra

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For me, not a 3-4 hr ride at all especially now. I "tolerated" it 20 yrs ago. The brakes and skinny front tire I was never confident with (especially the brakes). Not a lot of cornering clearance... An around town bike for sure, Twin Cam B a good motor, didn't shake like a dog shietin' razor blades, actually pretty smooth. The suspension was okay for around town..... My 2 cents; look for a Dyna, put a pair of RS-1 shocks on it, and Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators in the forks and have fun!
I really had not considered a softail because I was skeptical that a guy my size would be comfortable on one - especially at this age. I had focused on DYNAs, but this Deuce came up and is in mint condition w/ extremely low mileage so I thought I should ask for opinions. I appreciate your take on it, and will likely end up with a swingarm bike.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
I really had not considered a softail because I was skeptical that a guy my size would be comfortable on one - especially at this age. I had focused on DYNAs, but this Deuce came up and is in mint condition w/ extremely low mileage so I thought I should ask for opinions. I appreciate your take on it, and will likely end up with a swingarm bike.
Softail's are swingarm bikes, just in a different configuration ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
You and I are the same age. To me 20 years ago forward controls were uncomfortable, and cannot imagine the comfort level today... But some believe it looks cool, like pants with a crotch between the nutsack and knees, and belt below the buttcrack!

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,703 Posts
I never owned a a Softail, but I do own a Dyna Glide, I had to take the forward controls off, and replace them with floorboards, it was the only way I could enjoy the bike!!!
I still wouldn't take it on a very long ride, maybe that's because I have the Road Glide for that. But if you are interested in the deuce look into the floorboards, it improves the comfort for the ride even for around town, Saloon hopping....
👍👍

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You and I are the same age. To me 20 years ago forward controls were uncomfortable, and cannot imagine the comfort level today... But some believe it looks cool, like pants with a crotch between the nutsack and knees, and belt below the buttcrack!
I long ago reached the point where I choose comfort over cool.

Reactions: GmaninAZ

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Softail's are swingarm bikes, just in a different configuration ;)
Well I suppose technically you're right, considering anything without a swingarm would be a rigid, but you know the point I was making. Besides that, I have NEVER in my life heard anyone refer to a softail as a 'swingarm bike'. So kiss my ass ... and have a good weekend Gary.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Well I suppose technically you're right, considering anything without a swingarm would be a rigid, but you know the point I was making. Besides that, I have NEVER in my life heard anyone refer to a softail as a 'swingarm bike'. So kiss my ass ... and have a good weekend Gary.
No I didn't know you knew.. I dont take anytime for granted . Just trying to help there Sport.
You have a nice weekend.
BTW a swing arm is a swing arm .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bought mine new in 2004. Was only 30yrs old then, but still have it and still love riding it. Longest ride I ever put on it in a day was from Buffalo, Wyoming to Red Deer, Alberta. The bike just fits me well but I'm only 5'9". I rode the Standard, the Springer, and the Night Train (which is what I really wanted) in 2004 but right out of the box, without changing anything, the Deuce fit best. First pic is of it loaded for Sturgis in '05, second and third pic is last summer. Still badlander seat, stock bars and original foot controls location.
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I didn't know you knew.. I dont take anytime for granted . Just trying to help there Sport.
You have a nice weekend.
BTW a swing arm is a swing arm .
You do realize that I was just yanking your chain when I said "So kiss my ass", don't you? If I was serious I wouldn't have said , "have a good weekend Gary".

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
You do realize that I was just yanking your chain when I said "So kiss my ass", don't you? If I was serious I wouldn't have said , "have a good weekend Gary".
Come on Fuzz, you can yank my chain anytime you want 😁 . We been doing this far to long to consider anything different .

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I never owned a a Softail, but I do own a Dyna Glide, I had to take the forward controls off, and replace them with floorboards, it was the only way I could enjoy the bike!!!
I still wouldn't take it on a very long ride, maybe that's because I have the Road Glide for that. But if you are interested in the deuce look into the floorboards, it improves the comfort for the ride even for around town, Saloon hopping....
👍👍
Question where did you get your foot boards from? I got mini boards on my dyna not bad better than pegs I got forward controls no issue with them but a full foot boards might be better , cause I like to ride my dyna on all day rides not just around town.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,703 Posts
Question where did you get your foot boards from? I got mini boards on my dyna not bad better than pegs I got forward controls no issue with them but a full foot boards might be better , cause I like to ride my dyna on all day rides not just around town.
Here ya go, worth the price!!!!!
Product Font Line Screenshot Technology
Product Font Line Screenshot Technology

1 - 20 of 22 Posts