Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always ran amsoil in my engine and I'm happy with the results but I've been seeing this Schaffers synthetic 20-50 and was wondering if anyone has been running it? Supposedly it out performed Amsoil in independent test but who knows about all that!?!? I just know it's 3 or 4 dollars cheaper per qt than Amsoil and I've got a new bike and about time for the first oil change

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ran it in my 12 rgu and I liked it seemed lie the bike had less noise and shifted smoother, but the dealer that I bought my 15 from doesn't sell it so I'm running syn3

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
if it makes you feel good, use it. fact of the matter is, if the oil is of the correct viscosity, just about any oil will be fine for your engine. and despite what any mfg tries to tell you, there is no 'one' best oil. one oil may be better in one area, while another is better in another.

if you go to the 'bob is the oil guy' forum, you can see postings of all manner of used oil analyses for just about any oil that you can think of. and surprisingly, one that has consistently scored well? Walmart brand supertech synthetic. what's that run? about $18 per 5 qt?

***disclaimer**** I run redline 20w-60 cause I live down here in the hot south and the 60 weight seems to do better in the summer heat than 50 weight. but that's just my personal opinion.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Never ran it in the bike, but the company I work for had Schaffers in their Dakota pickups when I started. Several units I changed oil in, I had to literally poke around in the drain hole with a coat hanger to get that crap to ooze out. Lost several engines due to oiling issues.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
About 4 years ago, where I lived there was an auto parts house that stocked Schafer oil. I read up on it and was really impressed. He got me some and ran it til I moved away. Now no one in my area carries it. I believe it is every bit as good as Amsoil. Schafer is the biggest grease/oil manufacturer for big mining rigs and manufacturers machinery that needs high quality lubrication without frequent shut down. Now I use Liquid-Moly. I order it online and is an oil made to BMW's specs. It comes in all their cars and motorcycles. I've sent a few samples off to Blackstone testing Labs and my 8000 mile sample came back still way in specs. They suggested the next run to 10,000 miles before change and get it tested. I was very impressed.

Edit: I buy it online on amazon. It is much cheaper in price and free shipping then any good oil on the market. I still use Redline Shockproof in the tranny.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck , I just went ahead and paid the big bucks and went with amsoil since I've always had good luck with ktove the past years. It's amazing how much quieter my engine is running now since taking the H-D 360 out

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've always ran amsoil in my engine and I'm happy with the results but I've been seeing this Schaffers synthetic 20-50 and was wondering if anyone has been running it? Supposedly it out performed Amsoil in independent test but who knows about all that!?!? I just know it's 3 or 4 dollars cheaper per qt than Amsoil and I've got a new bike and about time for the first oil change

I used it in my last bike exclusively a d continue to use it in my new one. Both 103's. Engine runs cooler and tyranny shifts are a lot quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
So what is a safe number of miles to run with full syn in all 3 holes?
Manual says 5k engine 10k Primary 20k tranny. are they assuming you are using reg oil?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
So what is a safe number of miles to run with full syn in all 3 holes?
Manual says 5k engine 10k Primary 20k tranny. are they assuming you are using reg oil?
Asked 20 people, you'll get at least 15 different answers. I run the Liqui-Moly 10w60 in the engine and run it at least 5000 miles. When on long trips, it stays in the the whole trip. Last time that was 7500 miles. Sent it to Blackstone and came back good for another 2000 miles. On the transmission, I use transmission specific fluid, Red Line to be exact. It gets changed every other oil change just to look at what metal the magnet has on it. I know it could go longer for sure. On the primary, I change it every oil change. It is usually the nastiest of all the oils. That's because to the clutch plates. I use primary oil specific because of running a high performance engine and putting more stress on the clutch and the compensator. Now days, the compensator is the main issue on the primary side needing the best lubrication you can give it to slow down the failure rate. As most know, ATF type F transmission fluid is the best for your clutch but doesn't do a good enough job of lubricating for your compensator. When in a bind and the clutch starts slipping, putting ATF in it will get you home most times.

These are my opinions and by no means are they anybody else's . Use what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run Schaeffers in all three holes. The 20 50 i get for aroung $85 a case I have used it exclusively in the last 3 bikes and not a problem one with any of them.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Any V-twin full synthetic oil will work so run what you like. I personally run Castrol 20 w 50 V-twin oil and I use to run Mobil 1 20 w 50 V- twin oil. I think that's it better to use oil that can be found in just about any auto parts store so you don't need to carry oil with you on a road trip. JMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts