Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy with a 2016 Ultra. Added an aftermarket bags and fender then took his tour pak and mounted it to a new tour pack bracket. He has had this on for a while well this weekend on a 900 mile trip this happened.

I have never seen or heard or heard of a piece of metal snappin like this

Attachments

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
This is why I tell my comrades that if a life might depend on it, just get the Harley version. Some of them don't listen though because they are cheap. Harley has been doing this for decades so you know they got this shit down to a science, the ones on ebay would most likely be trial with error. No doubt it's a knockoff or bad install.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There's something you don't see every day. I have a HD detachable TP as well, it is a really snug fit. How much weight was in/on/against the pack?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was bought online, I think the Harley one was 200, this was from HogWorkz I believe for like 150. I am not sure if the spacers were on there. He had it loaded pretty good and then his wife obviously leans back. It looks like the metal just gave out. I get the whole knock off thing. But where is the line drawn right? Like if someone said this was good and it was not Harley is it a knockoff? Like is the price the point at which we assume something is a piece of crap?

He is coming over tonight, I have to see this in person.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Damn, that is weird ...(doubly so considering where it folded at)... Just out of curiosity, is his Ol' Lady a power lifter that squirms around a lot?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Wow, that could have really been bad if there was a BoB sitting there.
I'm guessing there was amigo.....prob hit a bump, caused her to lean back into it, SNAP

Also, Pic #1, in the reflection of the Bag.....looks like a passenger over the shoulder of the camera man to me

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As I understand Hog works is a good company. Lots of satisfied people on here dealt with them. I'd contact them and see if there's anything they can do.

Sounds like no one was hurt, guessing that would've been part of the story, which a very good thing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would say a combination of the TP being overloaded and a passenger leaning against it. Probably started as a small stress fracture then finally gave way.
I've seen the old tube style TP mounts snap, and those were basically cheap pot metal.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
820 Posts
also if the tour pack mount and mounting hardware were not of the same manufacture and maybe a little off on fitment would cause stress points, which over time with vibration and on and off passenger and load weight inside it, could cause it to snap. was his wife on the bike? did he have to force it a little to mount it?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
And both sides must have snapped. Wonder if the tp had ever been dropped on the mounting hardware. Might have done some unseen damage & finally snapped.

Reactions: Karnevil

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I just looked again at this pic and now it's a new day and I have fresh eyes and no coffee yet. I bet it was installed in a misaligned fashion now that I have studied it better. Possibly even forced into place to get it to mount. Seen this when I worked on a bike with a cheap knock off eBay passenger backrest. I had to remove it for some work and it was a bitch of a time doing that, when it came time to install it the only way I could get it back on was wrong. I had the owner come over and do it and it was stupid crazy what he had to do to get it aligned.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It doesn't appear to me that anything "snapped". If you blow up the photo, the bottom fork is (still quite there) bent 90deg outward towards the camera...which is a rather odd direction for it to go. If weight/load (or poor quality metal) were really the primary factor, one would tend to assume that it would be either spread out (e.g. downward), or at least bent in that direction ... Yet it is not; it's bent sharply sideways..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts