Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. time to bite the bullet and start cutting. I'm looking for a little more sound and was thinking of adding an addition set of speakers to the inner fairing (Next to forks).
Currently, I have the stock head unit (will replace next), RF3002 amp, and a set of Biketronic Titian II's. I was thinking of adding the Polk DB6501 components to the inner fairing and was wondering if anyone has tried it. My concern is the clearance of the grills and the fork bezel screws.
My thoughts for choosing the 6501's is that they handle power well, sensitivity is good and the crossover should be a little better and I can locate the tweeters either in the gauge holes or mount in the inner fairing in front..

Any thought comments from the Stereo Pros would be appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I've tried 2 different polks. 651 coax, and 6501, with the seperate cross overs.
Both fell apart after a few months of riding. I went through polk warranty to get them replaced. After dealing with them for 2 go arounds, I decided to switch to the Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Coax T165. I could not be happier...
It's been solid, excellent sound and ultra low distortion.
I'm running an ELF amp, factory head unit. AVC off, Bass set at +2 over center, and Treble at +4.

Polks-

1- I could not get any base out of a either a coax or seperate while riding over 25mph.

2- Seperates mounting challanges for surface mount tweeter did not exceed the performance.

3- Rockford 6.5 COAX, much more bass, the magnet is larger, and the contents of the capacitors and other wiring are internally housed, opposed to the Polks. I hear bass till freeway speeds, then of course it's physics...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've tried 2 different polks. 651 coax, and 6501, with the seperate cross overs.
Both fell apart after a few months of riding. I went through polk warranty to get them replaced. After dealing with them for 2 go arounds, I decided to switch to the Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Coax T165. I could not be happier...
It's been solid, excellent sound and ultra low distortion.
I'm running an ELF amp, factory head unit. AVC off, Bass set at +2 over center, and Treble at +4.

Polks-

1- I could not get any base out of a either a coax or seperate while riding over 25mph.

2- Seperates mounting challanges for surface mount tweeter did not exceed the performance.

3- Rockford 6.5 COAX, much more bass, the magnet is larger, and the contents of the capacitors and other wiring are internally housed, opposed to the Polks. I hear bass till freeway speeds, then of course it's physics...
Thanks,,, The RF T165 were my 2nd choice.. Seems they may have moved back on TOP..

·
Registered
852 Posts
The MM series is much better than the DB series. I ran the MM651s in my streetglide for several years powered by an arc ks125.2 amp. They sound great are weather resistant and are durable. Lots of people run them in their boats. This winter I'l go with them in the fairings and the lowers with two RF amps. I'll do the tourpack later.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave.. I looked at the MM's but they are 2.7 Ohms.. I want to go with 4 Ohms so I can run them in parallel with my Titans.. But.. I've seen good reviews about them..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts