Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Those thing have been around for years (At least 5) so, if they were any good, you wouldn't have to ask, if they're any good....... they're not.

Let me google it for you http://lmgtfy.com/?q=POWER+X-WING REVIEWS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Funny how everyone is an expert! Yet haven't tried one!

Those thing have been around for years (At least 5) so, if they were any good, you wouldn't have to ask, if they're any good....... they're not.

Let me google it for you http://lmgtfy.com/?q=POWER+X-WING REVIEWS
I will give you $5 if you find a 255 cammed stock head 103 that hits 100 ftlbs at 2400rpm and holds 100ftlbs as long as my 255 equipped 103 Oh Yes, It needs to also make 95+ hp... Yep it sucks!

I will give you another $5 if your 255 cammed stock head 103 breaks 115/95 with as wide power as the 4 other bikes I have tuned with this intake!

Yes I use the boyeson power x intake and have now put 4 of them on 255 103's and ALLLL of them make 110-115 ftlbs and 90-97hp. Yep it sucks.

The boyeson POWER X INTAKE Works AWESOME IF you know how to tune it and pull out enough timing and take the time on the fuel settings.

Excellent throttle response! 6th gear 40mph and accelerates with NO LUGGING!
42 mpg 2 up with 450lbs of rider and gear. Yep it sucks
No drop in power from 1600rpm to redline! I regularly am beating fltrx and softails with 259e's Yep it sucks
70mph 2 up full throttle passes, accelerates like a bullet from 50mph on up in 6th gear. Lifts the front tire in 1st and 2nd gear... Yep it sucks

Yep The boyesen power x intakes SUCK! :eek:

HINT HINT HINT
It might actually work really really really good if you have a 255 or 259e cam and a 2/1 pipe with great scavenging and take the time to take out the timing and adjust the fueling properly.....

Of course, maybe that dyno is happy, maybe the others are happy too? Maybe just maybe the bench racers don't have a clue what they are saying because their small minds don't understand fluid dynamics, aerodynamics nor how to read a manufacturers dyno sheet...

Or maybe the boyesen power x intake sucks :D

Attachments

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
If you like it, great. But bunches of people have done before and after dyno runs, and only saw 1 to 2 hp at most.

HINT HINT HINT
It might actually work really really really good if you have a 255 or 259e cam and a 2/1 pipe with great scavenging and take the time to take out the timing and adjust the fueling properly.....

That's probably the real reason for your good numbers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
try it!

I am amzed by how many people diss so many products without TRYING them!

BTW you guys keep reviewing the wing. The wing by itself helps throttle response and horsepower not to mention 1/4 and 1/2 throttle acceleration....

Try the intake, It's cheap AND it works. It's a better mousetrap! the intake has seceral improvements compared to most.

:cool:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I will give you $5 if you find a 255 cammed stock head 103 that hits 100 ftlbs at 2400rpm and holds 100ftlbs as long as my 255 equipped 103 Oh Yes, It needs to also make 95+ hp... Yep it sucks!

I will give you another $5 if your 255 cammed stock head 103 breaks 115/95 with as wide power as the 4 other bikes I have tuned with this intake!

Yes I use the boyeson power x intake and have now put 4 of them on 255 103's and ALLLL of them make 110-115 ftlbs and 90-97hp. Yep it sucks.

The boyeson POWER X INTAKE Works AWESOME IF you know how to tune it and pull out enough timing and take the time on the fuel settings.

Excellent throttle response! 6th gear 40mph and accelerates with NO LUGGING!
42 mpg 2 up with 450lbs of rider and gear. Yep it sucks
No drop in power from 1600rpm to redline! I regularly am beating fltrx and softails with 259e's Yep it sucks
70mph 2 up full throttle passes, accelerates like a bullet from 50mph on up in 6th gear. Lifts the front tire in 1st and 2nd gear... Yep it sucks

Yep The boyesen power x intakes SUCK! :eek:

HINT HINT HINT

Of course, maybe that dyno is happy, maybe the others are happy too? Maybe just maybe the bench racers don't have a clue what they are saying because their small minds don't understand fluid dynamics, aerodynamics nor how to read a manufacturers dyno sheet...

Or maybe the boyesen power x intake sucks :D
Yep.

That is probably one of the happiest dynos I have ever seen. Or are you going to say most 103s pull 100 ft/lbs with a stage 1? (I hope the the before was a stage 1 or your dyno is on crack!)

Comparing your chart to other 255 charts I have seen I would expect a magical 10% increase in hp and tq if I ran my bike on the dyno you used. My bike unfortunately would not be any faster (sigh).

Every before and after dyno chart I have ever seen for the X Wing shows a 1 to 2% gain. That is not average gain, but max gain.

Does the X Wing work at all? Yes
Is it worth the money? Not unless you are trying ring every last bit of power out of your rig. A better cam choice would have helped you alot more...

·
Registered
147 Posts
You know anyone else that can make 110+/95+ for $1185?????

You really need to take a look at the area under the curve. How much wider and deeper it is. That tells you VOLUMES!:p

The before was the base tune with 255's and a crack head tuner who sucks at his job. :eek: Probably the same guy you have working on your bike OR teaching you what to do! Another IGNORANT crackhead "old school" genius! The same kind of guy that says "it's the dyno" rather than taking the time to make his tunes run and his parts have HARMONY!

The after is after making fueling and timing and other adjustments to utilize the intakes potential. The second tuner ROY, Is good at his job. I was only able to subsequently max out 8 more ftlbs and the same hp a little sooner and holding longer with a little more under the curve at each end. The velocity and volume the intake allow to be channeled through the tb change the dynamics of the intake stroke. Boyesen has done nothing for 40 years but make intake tracts work better... You really need to try it and quick drinking the IGNORANT koolaid laid out by wrenches who don't know how to utilize the little "extras" provided by intake airflow improvements and economies.:D

FYI That is the WORST (stingiest) dyno of the 5 that bike has been on. It now is broken in and making even more power and better fuel mileage... You ought to see what happened when I took of the SE POS on my buddies 110, dropped in .030's, put on the power x intake and tuned it with power vision... absolutely made me $100 minimum on EVERY dyno it's been on!

If you haven't tried it you really should. It's a better mousetrap.

I will let you do the math
$185 Boyesen Power X INTAKE
$500 rb racing lsr spyder used 6 mos and 2500 miles old
$150 NOS 255 cams
$250 NOS Screamin’ Eagle® Pro Super Tuner
$100 NOS SE adj tapered pushrods
$1650 2 yr warranty and 5 yr esp INTACT

Do you know ANYONE that can get 115ftlbs and 95hp AND keep the warranty/esp intact AND spend less than $1185 on parts?

BTW How would you know anything about the POWER X INTAKE if you haven't tried it?

·
Registered
830 Posts
You really need to take a look at the area under the curve. How much wider and deeper it is. That tells you VOLUMES!:p

The before was the base tune with 255's and a crack head tuner who sucks at his job. :eek: Probably the same guy you have working on your bike OR teaching you what to do! Another IGNORANT crackhead "old school" genius! The same kind of guy that says "it's the dyno" rather than taking the time to make his tunes run and his parts have HARMONY!

The after is after making fueling and timing and other adjustments to utilize the intakes potential. The second tuner ROY, Is good at his job. I was only able to subsequently max out 8 more ftlbs and the same hp a little sooner and holding longer with a little more under the curve at each end. The velocity and volume the intake allow to be channeled through the tb change the dynamics of the intake stroke. Boyesen has done nothing for 40 years but make intake tracts work better... You really need to try it and quick drinking the IGNORANT koolaid laid out by wrenches who don't know how to utilize the little "extras" provided by intake airflow improvements and economies.:D

FYI That is the WORST (stingiest) dyno of the 5 that bike has been on. It now is broken in and making even more power and better fuel mileage... You ought to see what happened when I took of the SE POS on my buddies 110, dropped in .030's, put on the power x intake and tuned it with power vision... absolutely made me $100 minimum on EVERY dyno it's been on!

If you haven't tried it you really should. It's a better mousetrap.

I will let you do the math
$185 Boyesen Power X INTAKE
$500 rb racing lsr spyder used 6 mos and 2500 miles old
$150 NOS 255 cams
$250 NOS Screamin’ Eagle® Pro Super Tuner
$100 NOS SE adj tapered pushrods
$1650 2 yr warranty and 5 yr esp INTACT

Do you know ANYONE that can get 115ftlbs and 95hp AND keep the warranty/esp intact AND spend less than $1185 on parts?
BTW How would you know anything about the POWER X INTAKE if you haven't tried it?

No, I don't know anyone who could do that.

Not Fuel Moto

Not Drago

Not Hillside...

That is pretty much my entire point. HAPPY DYNO!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sorry I don't use it.

I'll admit that from the start. This is my opinion and I don't believe in the, "if you don't use it, you shouldn't comment on it" crap. This is a Forum where ideas and experiences are shared. Hillglide is looking for "any feedback."
From my research spending money on a piece of metal for 129.00 doesn't seem like a good investment. That being said S&S and Vance&Hines both offer a full air-cleaner assembly with their version of smoothing the airflow for the same money of an X-wing.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The second tuner ROY, Is good at his job. I was only able to subsequently max out 8 more ftlbs and the same hp a little sooner and holding longer with a little more under the curve at each end.
just a question, if roy is good at his job, how did you improve on his tune? and if you could tune better, why did you have roy do it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Time vs passion

#1 Roy does the parts install and tune the dealer agreed to mods and backs up warranty and esp in future. Yes it is a wink and nod deal, yes it can go sideways, but I trust them.

#2 Tune time was only quoted at 4 hours. :eek: That got it running extremely well. BUT at only 2000 miles the motor was not completely broken in yet and the heat of the summer had not hit yet. You can only do so much tuning on a dyno in late March to make sure all the tables are close for the heat/humidity of summer or the cool damp temps of the upcoming winter!.

#3 Part throttle tuning: 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 tuning you can get VERY close on the dyno. HOWEVER out on the street on a 50* day at 22% humidity and on a 100* day at 90% humidity you can fine tune all your tables. You can fine tune how the bike reacts for all roll on conditions as well as wfo conditions.

#4 It is a lot of FUN learning about the tuner and comparing notes with the other gearheads I run with.:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before I purchased the X-Wing, I spoke with design engineers that I work with about fluid dynamics and how it works. Their explanation in relation to an engine combustion chamber was this:
Turbulent air flows at a slower velocity than smooth flowing air does. In the case of a combustion chamber, the velocity of the air/fuel mixture determines how tightly the combustion chamber can be packed. The more tightly packed the combustion chamber, the more pressure is developed when the mixture is ignited; which in turn pushes the piston with more force creating more power. So it seems that smoothing out the turbulent air prior to it entering the intake throttle body and mixing with the fuel will create more power and since I’m not an engineer, nor do I want to be one, the explanation made sense to me.

I installed this on my bike the other day and went for a short test ride around the neighborhood. The first thing I notice was a distinct change in the idle sound, it seemed to have a cleaner and more consistent cam lopping sound for lack of a better explanation. (I run Woods-777 cams with mild head work and Thunderheader in an otherwise stock 103” motor).
The second thing I noticed was how much smoother the throttle response was in all positions. The seat of the pants dyno tells me that there is definitely a noticeable improvement in performance which I’m very pleased with. I’ve already had the motor dyno’ed after changing cams and not planning on doing it again with this slight change.

From what I’ve read, this product seems to perform best with a true 2/1 header exhaust with good scavenging characteristics. Baffled 2/1 pipes and duel exhaust may not see as much benefit from the X-Wing like a true 2/1 header would and I can only assume that may be the case for the poor reviews of this product by others.

Overall, I’m pleased with the results from the X-Wing and at less than $60, I felt it was a bargain compared to other motor modifications.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts