Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is alligator skin grippy?
I have a deep bucket Sundowner covered in vinyl. My wife is tiny and slides around on the seat when I accelerate or slow down so I was thinking of getting one of those seat covers off eBay.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Both me and my wife have gator covered seats from C&C Custom. We opted for the stamped vinyl vs the real deal gator $$$$. Looks great, but it is definitely not anymore grippy. I've never heard any reviews about those ebay covers, but if you end up trying one, please post back with a review!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Real Alligator is slick. I imagine vinyl pressed imitation is probably too. You might consider getting your wife some pants that have some grip built into the seat

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Got my cover from Scotty's Sled Shed on eBay. $160 for the cover + the ride. Cover is made from same material as the original vinyl. The gator part is still slick. My BH rides an Air Hawk anyway.
Install took a bit of time to get it right. Put it in the dryer or lay it on the dash of any vehicle in the sun to soften it up.
Get an electric staple gun if you don't have one already.
Make sure to get all of the original staples out of the plastic foundation or it will tear up the new cover from the under side.
Use a seam ripper on the old cover to remove the panel that has the switches for the heated seat if you have that option.
Use it as a template to mark where to cut the new cover for the switches.
The switches are clamped by two plastic bezels held together with push nuts.
Drill an 1/8" hole in each push nut and bend the tabs away from the posts. Take care with this step because the push nuts are molded into the plastic. You can get replacements online from McMaster-Carr but you can only buy a minimum of 50. Lowes has some thread forming nuts that will work as well. $0.68 for 4 of them.
Use plenty of staples because the vinyl will be under a considerable amount of force when stretched by sitting on it.
Apply plenty of pressure to the stapler when shooting. It will bounce off of the plastic and the staple won't fully seat if you don't.
Lean onto the seat to compress the foam when stapling to get some slack to wrap the cover over the frame. An extra set of hands is helpful.
Work side to side flipping the whole thing over to check for alignment as you go.
I'll post pics of my cover later.
If you have a Hammock seat, now is the time to check that it is still in place. The bar across to back had popped out on mine and I was riding foam to frame. Once I get the bar back into place, I ran 3 self tapping screws through the bar into the frame to keep it from popping back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts