Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ive never heard of pushrods making contact with the tubes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't have an answer for you but Woods has a very good reputation...would not hesitate to purchase from them if needed

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Push rods do rub the tubes more than you might think. But is it a problem worth worrying about? Maybe, maybe not.

Heavy duty supports make sense on builds where the valve springs are heavier than stock and cam lifts are high. Moving the pushrod out may help with the push rod angle. But it's probably not critical or worth the Woods premium price. SE forged supports are almost certainly cheaper than these pretty supports. Cut some off the inner pushrod tube and have a machinist open the tube up helps avoid push rod contact if it's a problem.

Not trying to trash on Woods stuff, but the premium price is not necessarily representative of the improvement. That said I do like his cams, but are they so much better than other cams to justify premium pricing? The carb prices are stupid IMO and only a guy with more money than sense is going to pay near a grand for a CV carb...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We've never seen a failure in that area, in all the T/C's we've ever built.
I do believe the intent of that plate that he has Delkron make for him, was to help keep the center of the rocker arm tip, centered, over the stem of 7mm valves.
Scott

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I know a guy who has cracked a stock support. But I'd put in the HD SE support before the Woods part. 1/2 the price and the geometry change is unlikely to have any measurable effect.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
'On the 117 Build, we went with the SE Forged Rocker Supports and SE Adjustable Push Rods, no clearance issues (T-Man 625s, CVO Street Performer Heads, 10.4-1)

Some of the stuff out there, is an answer to a question that nobody asked...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We've used Bob Wood(and others) 200 psi valve springs in conjuction with the OE rocker support plates more times than I remember, when working with big cams, and never had we seen the need for anything other than an OE plate.
Lot's of products out there, and we believe that some are like fishing lures................."3/4's of their job is done, once they are purchased."
Just something to think about........?:)
Scott

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree with Scott. PT Barnums quote, "a sucker born every minute" applies to most of the "better" mouse trap products.

The guy I know who cracked a stock support did it with a stock engine... so it's almost certainly installation error or a flaw that caused it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts