Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade the rear shocks on my 11 fltrx and wonder if the CVO shocks are an improvement or should I just stick with Progressive?

I have adjusted my shocks everywhich way and I am really disappointed with the stock ride, am trying to keep price reasonable otherwise I would try the Ohlins.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looking to upgrade the rear shocks on my 11 fltrx and wonder if the CVO shocks are an improvement or should I just stick with Progressive?

I have adjusted my shocks everywhich way and I am really disappointed with the stock ride, am trying to keep price reasonable otherwise I would try the Ohlins.

Thanks
are you talking about the dial adjustable shocks? there is no CVO specific shock.
the progressives are a good shock
how many lbs are you running in your's now

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dial adjustable shocks listed in the Harley accessorie catalog are listed as the stock shock for 2011 CVO Touring models, not sure if that is what comes with them but that is what is listed in the catalog.

·
Registered
260 Posts
cvo shocks

I too was either going to go the cvo or progressive route cause the stock air shocks suck. At least the lowered ones on the custom. Luckily one of my shocks was leaking so I had them replaced under warranty. I had the dealer install the cvo shocks and I paid the difference. They are a night and day difference over the air shocks. I love em. Next up are progressive monotubes for the front.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's a new shock HD came out with. standard shock on the right adjustable dampening on the left. not to good at performance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, I figured the list is $499.95 and if I order from one of the 20% off dealers they would a good upgrade.

·
Registered
614 Posts
theres a used pair of Progressive 940s in the classified section today you may want to look into.
Progressive 940 are still available from US Motoman for 459 new.

H D premium are on E Bay new for 429.00 from a couple of dealers.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Thanks
I switched to the H-D premium hand adjustable rear shocks on my 2011 RGC ..BIG improvement over the stock air shocks :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well just an update, I went with the HD premium touring shocks, originally I wanted the low premium shocks, but on the Harley website they only list standard height shocks. Well since I'm not height challenged except for the difference in the look of the bike, all I can say is wow, what a difference! After adjusting my air shocks every which way, I just bolted these on made sure they were set to my weight, and they are perfect. I got them from PC Pain, who by the way provided great service and the best price period. I don't know if they offer the low premium shocks anymore or how they ride but these are how the bike should have ridden in the first place. Bye the way on a previous post someone asked who these were made by and there is a Showa sticker on the shocks. Very pleased and at $400.00 w/discount might be a reasonable alternative.:D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good to know as I have been thinking about this also. Anyone else care to chime in that may have switched from HD Air Shocks to these new HD ones?
Thanks for that update.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I put many miles on the hand adjustable shocks. I would definitely recommend going for ohlins, ricor, etc. much better ride. I'm running a set of Bitubo's from traxxion.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Here is my take on it.

09 CVO road glide, factory 12 inch air shocks SUCK!

Replaced them with the progressive 940's really liked them:).

Traded the 09 for the 12 CVO road glide, which has the 12 inch hand adjustable factory premium 12 inch shocks. They are way better than the air shocks but not quite as good as the progressive 940's. That said, the 940's are not worth up grading to from the premium 12 hand adjustable harley shocks.

However on my wifes street glide, I got ride of her air shocks, and bought the 940's for it, not the hd premium, price was about the same for either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2011 FLTRUSE has air shox on rear and work great jus need to check pressure on a regular basis normal riding is 2 up so run at 40-50 psi

Kiwi

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Almost satisfied

Reading this forum and having issues with the rear shocks on my 2011 Road Glide Custom (FLTRX).
I decided to drain and service my standard shocks, with heavier oil 10 wt fork oil to no avail. I proceeded to look for a better suspension when I decided to purchase the Premium CVO shocks (54680-10).WOW what a difference a day and a better shock makes, this change might have saved my 20+ year marriage. The only issue remaining is I think this shock added an inch of height to my bike, that’s not good :mad: .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lowered Premium Ride Harley Shocks

Ride a 2012 FLTRX - Air shocks had to go - way too harsh a ride at any air setting - I put on the premium ride low profile harley hand adjustable touring shocks and at first was a little dissapointed, they were better than the air shocks but still a bit of a harsh ride. THEN, after maybe 1000 to 1500 miles they loosened up and you can really feel them working and responding like a shock should. The wife noticed how much better they are now, she has a bad back but now she's happy. Thought I wasted my money at first, but now I would say I'm very happy with them. Gotta get miles on 'em and loosen them up before you make a judgement I learned.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2011 FLTRUSE has air shox on rear and work great jus need to check pressure on a regular basis normal riding is 2 up so run at 40-50 psi

Kiwi
+1 on this. I may do the legends so I can lower it a little but the air shocks on my FLTRUSE are nice. I added Monotubes up front and am really happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts