Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading my stock 04 radio, came across the Jensen hd1bt radio, looks and seems good for a replacement but would like more info on it and see if anyone has or knows anyone that's using one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I spend a lot of time on another forum, that one has a couple of guys that have them and they like them a lot. Only complaint I heard was the RCA Pre-Amp outs are a little "fragile". Otherwise they all seem happy. Its not actually made by Jensen, its made by a company that makes radios for tractors and heavy equipment, its supposedly built like a tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just installed this week. My stock radio quit. A circuit board split. So I ordered the Jensen and the auxiliary adapter. The installation was easy. It does bolt right in. The only catch was I had to do a little wire rerouting. The plug is on the opposite side of the radio, so it took a little time to make sure everything reached and wasn't stretched. The handle bar controls work fine. The unit sounds great as well. I have a Hogtunes 140 watt amp, 5x7 speakers, and tweeter pod. I did have to turn off the "Loudness" setting. With it on, the sound distorted just above 1/2 volume. Off, I can almost full volume (38 out of 40) with high quality (320) MP3 files off a USB drive. I couldn't go past 12 bars without distortion on the old Radio Sound unit on a clean CD file (CDA not MP3). I cut a 1.5" hole is the back of the left glove box and mounted the auxiliary connector there. It is also waterproof with a rubber front cover. That gives me Aux and USB inputs to the unit (they are rear mounted). It will be nice to have control of the flash drive from the bars instead of using an MP3 player through the front panel input on the old radio. I also has a remote amp turn on, so my amp won't be on while the bike is starting or sitting with ignition or accessory on.

I haven't had time yet and it's been raining, so I can't give you an "on the road review" yet. The screen is bright and is adjustable for brightness and contrast, so it should be ok in sunlight. I can tell you my neighbor thought is sounded great. I was in my garage which is in my basement with the garage door down and he was in his front yard trimming bushes. He was stunned when I told him that was my bike radio.

I did snap a couple pics before I finished up the wiring and put the fairing back on.

I did look at the Hawg Wired control interface and the V-Twin Audio mounting kit w/waterproof cover, but then I was at around $300 before even looking at an Alpine CDE-HD149BT radio.

If you want, I can give a better report and pics from the dash side after this weekend, if it ever quits raining.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had a customer bring one by and asked us to install.
We were not impressed.
Features were fine, but audio quality was lacking.
No AVC...which was a bit misleading because the manual shows the AVC circuit in the harness.
Week later he was back...lost right channel...bad RCA connector.
He took that opportunity to return it and install a Sony from Biketronics...much happier.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i too put one in last week. relatively easy install. upgraded the speakers and amped it too. BUT.. the radio didn't fit the stock hole 'exactly' so I had to fill gaps with sillycone (black).. 2 days later the volume control (at the grip) stopped working and also 2 days later (probably related) when the left turn signal is on, it disturbs the sound with static, on off, on off..
and the red face light isn't working either.

it isn't easy to see whats on the display from riding position..

will take it apart again rewire and change handle bars (again) at the same time. so my opinion is not yet in.. when it worked (for 2 days) it sounded good but haven't had it out at 80mphs to draw a solid conclusion..

the main reasons I bought it was : hand controls like stock (well almost) and the Sirius feature and did put in the stuff so it will work but have not subscribed yet and the USB input feature (right glove box)..

OH.. and the volume does not increase and decrease as one goes faster and slower like the stock unit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just put one in as well. Idiotically simple to install. Bluetooth and iPod controls work well, and these are the two reasons I installed this head unit (HK iPod interface started acting hinky). No road test yet because I'm also installing a Hawg Wired CS300, 14" apes, and a hydraulic clutch. Hoping to have it done by tomorrow.

Oh yeah, the Jensen USB/Aux interface plug is also incredibly easy to install in either glovebox with a 1.5" hole saw. The leads are really, really long. You could damn near install it in a saddlebag.

Seriously, I should have waited another month or so to dig in to all of this. I'm doing it all in my gravel driveway (no garage; see sig pic) in hot ass Acton/Agua Dulce, California. It's 95 out right now. Yeesh. Rant over. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had a customer bring one by and asked us to install.
We were not impressed.
Features were fine, but audio quality was lacking.
No AVC...which was a bit misleading because the manual shows the AVC circuit in the harness.
Week later he was back...lost right channel...bad RCA connector.
He took that opportunity to return it and install a Sony from Biketronics...much happier.
How bad was the audio quality lacking? is it worse then the HK? I was thinking about it just for the Pre-Amp outs, as long as that signal is fairly clean, I think I'd be fairly happy with the other features (Bluetooth and skipping Pandora songs is my real goal).

·
Registered
264 Posts
How bad was the audio quality lacking? is it worse then the HK? I was thinking about it just for the Pre-Amp outs, as long as that signal is fairly clean, I think I'd be fairly happy with the other features (Bluetooth and skipping Pandora songs is my real goal).
You'd be better off and a whole lot cheaper sending it to Iron Cross Audio. Google em....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Isnt the same distortion going to be in the HK after that mod?

BTW thanks for turning me on to this forum Eshaw. Tons of good info over hear to look through.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We've done both..pre-amps fron the Jensen and pre-amp mods on the HK.
The HK mod sounds alot better then the Jensen.
We would never consider using the Jensen without an amp...way underpowered and even worse audio quality than their pre-amps

·
Registered
941 Posts
A reviewer on Amazon writes that the LCD screen washes out in sunlight. Not good for a marine head unit. What were the Jensen designers thinking?

I replaced my HK with a Pioneer MVH-X560BT. i like the Pioneer, it's sound, ergonomics, price. Nevertheless, I am considering a replacement for the HU 'cause the screen washes out in sunlight. The HU looks fantastic in the garage; but, take the bike outside and might as well have no screen at all. Note, the Pioneer was not advertised as a marine HU - my bad! :( I will ether sell it on eBay for a big loss or install it in my '93 car.

For me, in the future, a screen that washes out is an immediate deal breaker.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just installed the Jensen last week. Since it is like 8 degrees outside, I will wait to button everything back up later. My first impressions on the Jensen are good. I tested the internal amp first. I only have a set of 5.25 Polk audio 2 way speakers in the dash. I picked them up cheap at BestBuy. Just going from HK to Jensen with no amp, the volume seems louder, but there is still plenty of distortion at high volume. This is to be expected. I don't care what brand it was, if I were to try to go full volume, the distortion would still be there. The Jensen gets louder before distortion starts though.

I then connected a Kenwood amp that I also picked up cheap at BestBuy (I love open box shopping). The amp says 400W all over it, but it is really only rated at 45W/channel RMS. There is a big improvement with the amp. I am able to raise the volume further yet before distortion starts. I am going to try an Alpine amp before I button everything back up.

The Bluetooth and handlebar controls work great together. Toggling through the menus on the radio and finding the BT pairing could be more intuitive.

I also had read that the bikes wiring harness was going to be tight. I do find this to be a slight understatement. I have not finished my install, but I will definitely have to give some relief to the harness. Since I am going to be using Bluetooth for everything, I have NIM/NUO set I will be removing soon. This will help with cleaning up the wiring. I was using them for my Garmin.

The fit of the radio is great and it looks factory installed. I will probably miss AVC, but you can hold volume down button and express down does kick in. I wont know of issues reading the display in daylight till the weather breaks and some of the salt is gone.

So far I'm happy and the wife love the idea she can control the radio from her phone.:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have one installed on my 2012 RG. Without an amp I think the audio is about non existent. I had an Arc Audio amp installed which made the sound a lot better, but I think I'll need to get the Biketronics speakers replaced. They don't seem to be able to handle the full output of the radio. The biggest negative in my book is the screen size, it's pretty small so it's hard to make out the song playing or the time. A big plus is that the radio pulls in stations a hell of a lot better than the stock HD radio.

One thing that I am having an issue with is hooking up my Zumo 660 so that it will "talk" through the radio like on the Harley unit. If anyone has any thoughts on this, shoot them my way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts